Page 76 of 78 FirstFirst ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 1935
    It has gotten worse, but still not bad as long as its soft. I seemed to do something to a ligament in mid february that isn't helping things either
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Is Orr doing your surgery, powdork?

Almost one year

I am about 2 weeks short of one year after my ORIF surgery (2 plates and 11 screws+ bone graft). I am 43 years old, athletic, but had prior osteoarthritis already. I was nwb for a full 3 months, and was still using some sort of walking device (graduated from both crutches to one crutch to a cane) for another month or two. I felt pretty disabled still until 7 months when I started to feel more normal again. I’m doing okay now, almost have my full ROM back but still can’t do high impact stuff and still have some stiffness and muscle weakness, despite training with heavier weights now for squats and deadlifts (about 3/4 of my body weight). Overall, recovery has been very slow but steady. Sometimes I also feel an ache that I feel sure is my hardware. Last week I couldn’t sleep well because of it (first time it was that bad). I’m talking to the surgeon next week and hoping he will let me take it out because I’ve heard it feels much better once it’s out. How long is recovery after hardware removal? Do you still need physiotherapy afterwards? Also I have keloid scars from the incisions where my brace rubbed around the knee area) which feels tender and irritated on a regular basis.. anyone know what can be done about this?

Checking in a Radial Tibial Plateau Fracture. It happened last Friday, and external fixation was applied on Monday. Pre opp apt for plate this Tuesday. Hoping recovery isn't as bad as ACL on same keg a year and a half ago. Came off a small jump a bit unsteady and got tangled in the bike. Rest is history.

Vibes dude. That's rough. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Three plus years removed from TPF

I posted previously in March 2019. This is an update. In March 2017 I sustained a level VI+ TPF, according to my doctor. Two plates and 18 screws. It was a long road to recovery. The plates were taken out after 8 months. It took a full three years to feel close to normal. Last winter I was skiing back to where I was before. Luckily I had no ligament damage so I didn't have to deal with that. The biggest issue was muscle atrophy. It takes a long time to build the muscles back to normal. I did a lot of weight lifting. It is a bit stiff in the morning but loosens up pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
    I posted previously in March 2019. This is an update. In March 2017 I sustained a level VI+ TPF, according to my doctor. Two plates and 18 screws. It was a long road to recovery. The plates were taken out after 8 months. It took a full three years to feel close to normal. Last winter I was skiing back to where I was before. Luckily I had no ligament damage so I didn't have to deal with that. The biggest issue was muscle atrophy. It takes a long time to build the muscles back to normal. I did a lot of weight lifting. It is a bit stiff in the morning but loosens up pretty quickly.
    Yeah I was able to get back to about 80% strength, but never close to that much muscle mass.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    Checking in a Radial Tibial Plateau Fracture. It happened last Friday, and external fixation was applied on Monday. Pre opp apt for plate this Tuesday. Hoping recovery isn't as bad as ACL on same keg a year and a half ago. Came off a small jump a bit unsteady and got tangled in the bike. Rest is history.
    Never ended up getting plate/screws put in. Was a grade 2 fracture. Dr. seemed to think TKR was a possibility in future and plate could be detrimental. Doing PT and have about 90 deg RoM. Slowly but surely.

Slow for sure. Down to 1 PT visit a week after seven months and ending soon. Definitely longest recovery I have had. Starting a 12 week fitness program with goal of full on skiing first of the year

This thread has been a tremendous resource for me these last two weeks. Thank you everyone who has contributed! I've read the first 40 pages and today was my two week post-op appointment, so figured I'd start adding to the mix.

12/26/2020 - Ski accident, external fixator surgery
    01/05/2021 - 5 hour surgery, 2 plates, 23 screws, 64 stitches, 5 nights in hospital, 0-30 ROM allowed
    01/20/2021 - Half of the sutures removed, 0-60 ROM allowed

I'm a 29 year old male from Leadville, Colorado. Longtime TGR forum lurker, first time poster. Just started my 4th season ski patrolling at the local hill, Ski Cooper (not to be confused with nearby Copper Mountain). I've seen lots of various ski injuries during the past three seasons, but never had the misfortune of experiencing one myself until now. Accident occurred on my day off. No worker's comp for me. D'oh! Good thing I have decent health insurance.

My injury happened so fast, it's hard for me to know what really happened. Lesson learned: my new mogul skis were probably not designed for high speed carving. Either my tip dug in, or I caught an edge wrong... all I know is that I took a good long tumble under the chairlift and then looked down to find my right ski boot pointing in a curious direction. The binding did release, but only after wreaking havoc on my tibia. Whipped out my phone ASAP and called patrol for a toboggan and ambulance. As I was sitting there in the snow admiring/mourning my bent leg, I had virtually no pain. Just really loud ringing in my ears and a strong tingling sensation throughout my arms and legs. Thanks adrenaline! It wasn't until my buddies on patrol started splinting my leg 5 minutes later that I started feeling it. Had to grit my teeth for the toboggan ride, as I felt like my leg could distinguish between every groove in the corduroy. Upon loading into the ambulance, I thought I would tolerate the ride to the hospital, but our ski area parking lot is so bumpy and full of potholes that we probably only drove 100 feet before I had the paramedic load me up with IV fentanyl. 15 minute ride to the local hospital for boot removal (almost passed out) and x-rays, then 40 minute ride to the hospital in Vail for CT scan and surgery. Most expensive Uber rides ever!

Spent the next 10 nights with my external fixator waiting for the swelling to diminish. What a miserable device! Day 3, I accidentally slipped with crutches and put weight on the bad leg. Nearly crumpled to the floor in excruciating pain, but I managed to save the fall by grabbing onto the doorframe I was standing between. After this, my ex-fit pin sites oozed blood for the next 5 days. Ouch!

It's now been two weeks since my definitive surgery. Pain level has been constant, but easily managed with 5mg Oxycodone every 4-5 hours and 1000mg Tylenol every 8 hours. Surgeon unlocked my brace from 0-60 ROM today and I can get there after warming up. Hoping that gets easier soon. First PT appointment is next week.

I've never been an emotional person. Didn't know if I was even capable of shedding more than a single tear, but this has certainly brought them out. Mostly a testament to the carefree life I've been lucky to live up until now. Been watching a bunch of documentaries lately and now I find myself with tears in my eyes during even the slightest emotional moments. Maybe I am human after all. Or maybe it's the narcotics, hah!

I'll share pictures once I'm allowed to by the forum gods.

Quote Originally Posted by BenSkisTrees View Post
    This thread has been a tremendous resource for me these last two weeks. Thank you everyone who has contributed! I've read the first 40 pages and today was my two week post-op appointment, so figured I'd start adding to the mix.

01/05/2021 - 5 hour surgery, 2 plates, 23 screws, 64 stitches, 5 nights in hospital, 0-30 ROM allowed

I'm a 29 year old male from Leadville, Colorado. Longtime TGR forum lurker, first time poster. Just started my 4th season ski patrolling at the local hill, Ski Cooper (not to be confused with nearby Copper Mountain). I've seen lots of various ski injuries during the past three seasons, but never had the misfortune of experiencing one myself until now. Accident occurred on my day off. No worker's comp for me. D'oh! Good thing I have decent health insurance.

My injury happened so fast, it's hard for me to know what really happened. Lesson learned: my new mogul skis were probably not designed for high speed carving. Either my tip dug in, or I caught an edge wrong... all I know is that I took a good long tumble under the chairlift and then looked down to find my right ski boot pointing in a curious direction. The binding did release, but only after wreaking havoc on my tibia. Whipped out my phone ASAP and called patrol for a toboggan and ambulance. As I was sitting there in the snow admiring/mourning my bent leg, I had virtually no pain. Just really loud ringing in my ears and a strong tingling sensation throughout my arms and legs. Thanks adrenaline! It wasn't until my buddies on patrol started splinting my leg 5 minutes later that I started feeling it. Had to grit my teeth for the toboggan ride, as I felt like my leg could distinguish between every groove in the corduroy. Upon loading into the ambulance, I thought I would tolerate the ride to the hospital, but our ski area parking lot is so bumpy and full of potholes that we probably only drove 100 feet before I had the paramedic load me up with IV fentanyl. 15 minute ride to the local hospital for boot removal (almost passed out) and x-rays, then 40 minute ride to the hospital in Vail for CT scan and surgery. Most expensive Uber rides ever!

Spent the next 10 nights with my external fixator waiting for the swelling to diminish. What a miserable device! Day 3, I accidentally slipped with crutches and put weight on the bad leg. Nearly crumpled to the floor in excruciating pain, but I managed to save the fall by grabbing onto the doorframe I was standing between. After this, my ex-fit pin sites oozed blood for the next 5 days. Ouch!

It's now been two weeks since my definitive surgery. Pain level has been constant, but easily managed with 5mg Oxycodone every 4-5 hours and 1000mg Tylenol every 8 hours. Surgeon unlocked my brace from 0-60 ROM today and I can get there after warming up. Hoping that gets easier soon. First PT appointment is next week.

I've never been an emotional person. Didn't know if I was even capable of shedding more than a single tear, but this has certainly brought them out. Mostly a testament to the carefree life I've been lucky to live up until now. Been watching a bunch of documentaries lately and now I find myself with tears in my eyes during even the slightest emotional moments. Maybe I am human after all. Or maybe it's the narcotics, hah!

Ohhh man, sorry to hear about your accident. This brought back a lot of memories ( that I basically relive every day anyways )

I’m coming up on my 2 year anniversary of my accident. That external fixator is brutal, I had to fly from Montana to Albany with that thing in coach, with a 2 hour layover. The accident happened in a blink of an eye, one minute we were having a blast, the next minute I was tumbling down lone peak uncontrollably.

My only real advice would be to take it as easy as possible on the pain killers. I only took them for a few days despite crazy pain, they make you emotional as fuck. My wife would come home and I would be just sobbing for no reason. Or talking to myself in the middle of the night.

It’s a sloooowww process. Listen to your doctors, PT person, and your body. I’m sure since you are patrol, I don’t need to tell you that. Just Don’t rush it. I’m sure since you read this whole thread, you probably saw mention of a tibial plateau recovery Facebook group, this was an immense amount of info and very positive. I set up a “fake” Facebook account just for this group, and I just lurked in there, read stories, and watched videos, and did the exercises.

Find a good series or 3 to watch on Netflix ( Sopranos was my jam for a while as I had never seen it before ). Free weights helped a lot too, kept the blood flowing without any legs involved.

Good luck man. There’s a bunch of solid TGR guys on here that have been through this, reach out to any of us with questions and advice.

ouch

I hope you heal quickly. I did the exact same thing as you 3 days earlier. I am 5 weeks into recovery today and get new x-rays in a week. Hoping I can start weight bearing then!

Vibes BST and poma1967... Take the time you need to heal and feel free to celebrate your progress no matter how small of a step forward it seems. I wish the both of you quick and full recoveries.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Ohhh man, sorry to hear about your accident. This brought back a lot of memories ( that I basically relive every day anyways )

I’m coming up on my 2 year anniversary of my accident. That external fixator is brutal, I had to fly from Montana to Albany with that thing in coach, with a 2 hour layover. The accident happened in a blink of an eye, one minute we were having a blast, the next minute I was tumbling down lone peak uncontrollably.

My only real advice would be to take it as easy as possible on the pain killers. I only took them for a few days despite crazy pain, they make you emotional as fuck. My wife would come home and I would be just sobbing for no reason. Or talking to myself in the middle of the night.

It’s a sloooowww process. Listen to your doctors, PT person, and your body. I’m sure since you are patrol, I don’t need to tell you that. Just Don’t rush it. I’m sure since you read this whole thread, you probably saw mention of a tibial plateau recovery Facebook group, this was an immense amount of info and very positive. I set up a “fake” Facebook account just for this group, and I just lurked in there, read stories, and watched videos, and did the exercises.

Find a good series or 3 to watch on Netflix ( Sopranos was my jam for a while as I had never seen it before ). Free weights helped a lot too, kept the blood flowing without any legs involved.

Good luck man. There’s a bunch of solid TGR guys on here that have been through this, reach out to any of us with questions and advice.

Man... your trip home flying coach with a non-elevated ex-fix... yikes! Makes my leg hurt just thinking about that.

I got off of Oxycodone after 30 days and fortunately did not experience any withdrawal symptoms. I kinda miss the weird ass dreams it gave me, but definitely not the grogginess. Tylenol is enough to get me through the nights now.

After I finished reading this thread, I found that fbook group. Great place, no doubt! The other skiers that have recovered and post stoke videos are great motivation for me.

How close to 100% would you say you are after nearly 2 years? Imagine you've racked up some days at Whiteface this season?
    Last edited by BenSkisTrees; 02-06-2021 at 12:06 PM.

4 weeks post-op and finally getting a good nights rest thanks to edibles. Almost at 90 ROM. PT starts next week.

Pictures as promised: nasty fracture, 2 plates 23 screws
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPF_0.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	614.5 KB 
ID:	361538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPF.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	276.6 KB 
ID:	361539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPF1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	361540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPF2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	255.4 KB 
ID:	361541  

Tibial Plateau Fracture Recovery

How close to 100% would you say you are after nearly 2 years? Imagine you've racked up some days at Whiteface this season?
    I think I’ve finally accepted that I won’t ever be back to 100%, but I’ll be close.I skied about 15 days last year, some days were great and some hurt like hell. This year I’ve been doing a lot more leg work and core exercises, the difference is huge. The one thing that still hurts no matter what is firm snow ( perfect that I live next to Whiteface 🤦🏻♂️ ) . I’ve only skied about 7 days this year, mostly because it seems way more crowded than usual, and I’ve been getting so much more enjoyment out of either working out in the garage, or skiing in the woods.

Edit to add - nice hardware! I bet those bottom two screws will bug you. It was such a relief to get a few taken out for me.

4 weeks post-op and finally getting a good nights rest thanks to edibles. Almost at 90 ROM. PT starts next week.

Pictures as promised: nasty fracture, 2 plates 23 screws
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Luckily you don't seem to have any signs of an infection. That's a real good sign! I went through a similar situation in the spring of 2017. 2 plates and 18 screws. Unfortunately however I contracted a nasty infection from surgery that took a while to get fully under control. I ended up getting my plates taken out after 8 months and I'm glad I did. I snapped the heads off of the bottom three screws from working out hard during recovery. So I still have the shaft of those screws in my tibia and one other full screw they left in. I missed one year of skiing but was back on the slopes the next year. It took a full 3 years to get back to about 100% and skiing on all the steeps and trees that I did previously. Hang in there!

Well I joined this club again on Feb 12th after getting caught in an avalanche, actually feel lucky to be alive. I was able to ski down the mountain although slowly, skin up at the bottom and walk back to the car. Pain was not intense but I knew I did something not good. I’m sure the only reason my knee was not totally destroyed is because I was wearing a full leg brace at the time, due to no acl, missing cartilage, missing meniscus, and a previous TPF which did not require surgery. Been just binding time for a TKR but have been doing quite well and in great fitness for a 60 year old.
    The next morning I went to the ER early to have it checked out and my heart sunk when I heard the news as I had researched recovery times on my previous TPF.
    Because of the 3 day weekend I’m not having surgery till later today, Feb 17th.
    My pain is not intense and have been managing with just a couple Tylenol a day and tons of icing.
    Dr says 8 weeks non-weigh bearing, which sounds better than some of you, but certainly seems like a lifetime to someone who gets after it every day. At least I’m retired, don’t have to worry about work and can focus on recovery and my girlfriend is a nurse and is taking good care of me.
    Sure wish I could go directly to TKR, bummed to know I’ll have to go though this again probably in a couple years, but it is what it is.
    Get a plate and some screws installed in a couple hours, had to stop reading this thread as it was getting to depressing, but have plenty of time on my hands to work though it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3552DD9-6E63-4229-B1EA-3542444F5139.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	530.4 KB 
ID:	363422

How you feeling, TahoeBC??? Your cream should arrive no later than today, buddy. My gf swore by it after her TPF and tib/fib fracture. No sooner had I developed the cream than she became my first severe leg injury person to use it.

Remarkably well considering, yea might be here already but with 6” of new on the ground I’m gonna pass on checking the mailbox and let the GF do it when she stops by this afternoon. May not get a chance to try it till the dressings come off and probably need to keep it out of the sutured parts till healed over. But looking forward trying it out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35B00BB6-4045-4AEF-A961-386BF957B67B.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	363888

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    How you feeling, TahoeBC??? Your cream should arrive no later than today, buddy. My gf swore by it after her TPF and tib/fib fracture. No sooner had I developed the cream than she became my first severe leg injury person to use it.
    I used it religiously for months after my surgery. Good shit Splat

1 week post op now, look forward to getting staples removed a week from now and hopefully open my fixed brace some so I can start working on ROM.

Having a skilled surgeon who is also fast probably made a difference, think I was under less than 1 1/2 hours, still have gauze covering the incision but my girlfriend changing it said it was only about 6” long, I didn’t want to look at it yet.

Nerve block kept me pain free for like 30 hours and only needed two oxy’s since, starting day 4 with no painkillers whatsoever.
    Next day post surgery I was able to start a regimen of leg lifts and crunches.
    Since it’s my left knee I’m still able to drive and the last two days been driving around taking photos of ski lines, helps with the cabin fever.

Splat the cbd cream arrived promptly, thanks! Use is fairly limited on surgical knee due to dressings but it’s providing relief for my “good” knee that’s not perfect anyway and taking a lot of extra load and seems to be helping with some tennis elbo thats been bugging me for a few months.

Overall feel like I’m fairing better than many in this thread, but it’s a long road ahead, time will tell.
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 02-25-2021 at 02:15 PM.

8 weeks post surgery. After steady progress, my range of motion seems to have plateaued around 95 for the last 2 weeks. This scar tissue is a stubborn SOB. 4 weeks until first steps, can't wait!

Hard to believe I’m jealous of your first steps Ben in only 4 weeks!

Got my staples out 3 days ago and my brace opened to 90. Feels great to have something else to work on getting my range motion back. Dr told me probably 8 more weeks non weight bearing but the bone seems to be healing on schedule. He said I could probably start doing no resistance spinning on a stationary bike at 5 weeks post op, that will be a good day!

Splat using the CBD quite a bit now, not only on my achy parts that are compensating for my bum knee, but it’s helping me with the process of getting my ROM back.

Have a tens/ems unit I bought a few years ago, been using it every day to fire muscles in my leg. Not sure if it’s helping keep any muscle mass, but it definitely seems to help with the swelling in my lower leg as I believe it helps with moving blood around better. Also doing endless leg lifts and crunches but look forward to being able to start PT.

Good to hear, J. It works really well for muscle fatigue, so that makes sense. It gets the blood flowing for sure.