Page 61 of 78 FirstFirst ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1935
    Hi Everyone,
    I had a TPF about half a year ago. I was hit by a car while crossing the street on a crossroad. I Would like to share a website www.mytpf.com I have set up with information dedicated to Tibial plateau fractures and recovery. The site can be found at www.mytpf.com.

I remember that when I just came back from the hospital I felt like there was not enough information on the net about TPF, and specifically the recovery process. I have since found some info and sites (including this group), but I have decided to set up a small website dedicated solely to TPF to help people find information and also reach this group.
    Feel free to contact me at info@mytpf.com.

Shlomi

It's great to see this thread still alive. My story is back on page 30. TPF in June 2011 and in a few hours I'm going under the knife to remove my plate and 6 screws. Even though people on here who have had the removal surgery say it's much easier, it has been hard on my nerves as I have had months to prepare for this operation. I'll post again post-op to let you know how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwionastick View Post
    It's great to see this thread still alive. My story is back on page 30. TPF in June 2011 and in a few hours I'm going under the knife to remove my plate and 6 screws. Even though people on here who have had the removal surgery say it's much easier, it has been hard on my nerves as I have had months to prepare for this operation. I'll post again post-op to let you know how it went.
    I had my hardware out 8/23. Left the hospital a few hours later with stitches and gauze dressing. I could remove the dressing after two days. Stiches came out two weeks after surgery.
    I have taken a total of two pain pills. Knee is still a bit swollen and gets stiff but no pain.
    Still on crutches since the repairs done in January did not do the job!
    Last edited by SbNative59; 09-25-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Greetings to all fellow TP fx peeps... I have been scouring this thread for any and all feedback regarding hardware removal; have found some feedback but it is scattered here and there. I am in a huge inner turmoil over whether to ask for hardware removal or not and am begging everyone who did it to please please private message me your experience: good, bad, mixed, everything. I have a plate, 12 screws and a nail. Mid shaft open compound fx plus TP fx. Accident 8/2/12, surgery 8/7/12. All seems to have healed up fine as far as the x-rays are concerned but I am NO WHERE NEAR the way I was pre-accident. Still have a lot of neuropathy/numbness weird sensation throughout the outer ankle, outer edge of the foot, 2 smallest toes, arch and heel. Can't jog more than a mile or 2, very slowly (used to do 10k/day plus tennis and biking). Tennis or any kind of lateral movement like that is impossible. The hardware doesn't really "hurt", but the plate on outer knee bugs the hell out of me. The most persistent pain isn't really in the knee area, more focused in shin-- the whole area of the mid-shaft fx but doesn't seem to correlate specifically to screw locations. I'm scared by what I've read about high incidence of post-op infections, since this would be such a long incision. I wouldn't even bother if it was just popping out some screws. But I feel like I want to whole thing out and have my leg feel as close to "normal" as it it ever will. I'm just sooooo undecided. Begging you all for direct feedback. Thank you in advance for sharing.

Hardware removal is a personal choice. I just had mine (6 screws, 1 plate) removed on friday (13/09) after 26 months. I had reached a point in rehab where I felt that I was as well as I could be, but the hardware was holding back and further recovery. With the hardware and heavy rehab, I was able to play sorts like baseball, ultimate and hockey again. but not at the same intensity as I could pre-injury. It hurt whenever i got up from a chair to walk, I could not kneel on my injured leg and pivoting/jumping with my injured leg were very difficult. I'm 35 with a newborn son and I'd like to think that I can stay at a highly active level for another 10-15 years. So i chose to get the hardware out.

As for the surgery itself, it was very quick. This morning (day 3) I stopped taking painkillers. My leg is still bandaged so i can't see the staples, but i'm told that it's smaller than the original cut. It's very difficult to move the joint with the staples and bandages, so I'm using a single crutch to get around the house. I did not miss the sponge baths as I once again have to keep the area dry until the staples come out. The heavier bandages come off after day 5, staples out on day 11 and then rehab begins. I'm told "no sports" for 6-8 weeks, but we'll see how the rehab goes. The bone is definitely healed, it's the soft tissue that needs to close up now.

New to the forum, just got cleared today to start putting weight on my right leg. I suffered a Tibial Plateau Fracture on July 3, 2013 on the BMX track. 44 years old doing a quad roller at race pace gave me a painful fourth of July. Decided to look up successful athletes with similar injuries for motivation. I had a 3 inch split almost directly down the middle of the tibia, broke a few bones in my foot, and damaged the cartlidge as well. Repair was completed with a plate and six srews. Was a Cat 2 cross country MTB racer and fairly competitive in Texas in 2012. Decided to do a little BMX with my daughter in 2013. Kinda thinking the road and mountain bike will be realistic goals for now. Hopping to be competitive on the mountain bike again for 2014, whether spring or fall is yet to be seen but I'm determined to get back what I had.

Hello everyone, Im new to this forum Iam recently recovering from a Non displaced TPF that occurred July 19th of 2013. I was struck on the out side of my right knee by one of my horses. Wrong place at the right time you could say. This caused my knee to hyper extend to the inside causing the fracture and a small tear in my ACL. I did not have to have surgery jus had to be non weight bearing with an immobilizer brace and crutches. Went through PT did great. After 2 1/2 months I was able to return to work with no restrictions. Granted I did tell my Ortho I worked as a Nursing Assistant where i was constantly on my feet. I work in Long term, short term, hospice and rehab for the VA. So its nothing like working in a hospital environment. Its much more hectic and demanding. Anyway I called his nurse after 3 days of working to tell them my knee had become very unstable to the point it not only gives forward but also does from side to side. My question is could I have possibly re-injured my knee or is my ACL worse than he let on? He only told me it was loose but not to the point it would need surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by skiplct View Post
    Mostly to all my friends from this site from summer and fall: I have stopped posting to and tracking the forum, mostly because my status is so much more compromised than others and I don't want to depress you lovely people who were so supportive to me in the ultra-crisis months.... and honestly I don't really want to read more posts about "running 3 miles with no limp or pain", or doing "an hour on an exercise bike", or "running at warp speed around airports" for people lucky enough to be employed. I've seen the mentions of the Facebook site but I don't have a FB account and don't want one. If there is anyone else out there who is, like me, still carefully planning your trips to the supermarket, pet food store, bank and other errands to minimize steps-- after 35 years of running 6 mi/day before fracture-- and who never take 1 single step from the bed to the toilet without thining about it and steeling yourself for pain, and who have zero support network-- please know that you are not the only one who isn't mountain biking, jogging w/o pain and minimally "bothered" by your hardware. God bless all of you. and best wishes to all.
    Not everyone has a 100% recovery I can attest to that.
    My TPF consisted of a pretty good compression of the plateau not just a tibial fracture.
    The repaired area collapsed and may never be able to be repaired. The hardware screws may have done damage to my cartilage. I will never have a fully functioning knee. Crutches or a cane may be a permanent accessory to my wardrobe. My wrist injury caused some pretty serious problems with my hand, which also will never be 100%. I have not walked unaided in 9+ months. I have not stood in the shower for more than a few minutes, I have not driven a car, returned to work, cooked a full meal or done laundry. My husband has taken over all my tasks that need much walking or standing. Until I am old enough for a knee replacement I will just have to do the best I can and I do it with as little bellyaching as possible! There are people put there in much worse shape than I am. I still have both arms and legs even if they aren’t what they used to be.

Hello everyone, I was in a car wreck on 08/01/2013 had surgery the next day 1 plate and 9 screws, i have many questions but i will just start off with this. My leg has lost all muscle and my knee looks deformed, I do not have the money to do PT so i have been online looking up exercises i can do at home, i will start weight bering in about 3 weeks, My question is will my knee ever look normal, and about how long do i have to wait to get the hardware out? thank you so much for any answers..

To all of those who have a choice for hardware removal I say do it. I am just over 2 years with my tpf level 6 and will never have the hardware removed. My only option is a knee replacement. Hardware removal and the rehab after is nothing from what you originally went through. If I had the choice I would be the first in line. Good luck and health to all!

I've had hardware since 7/2012, i am currently considering hardware removal. i have an odd skin issue near the break site that hasn't gotten better. in fact, i lost weight (30 lbs) to see if it was related to that and no change. i need to get a nickel allergy test (SS pins and plates).

BTW, i joined this group around post #757 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...46#post3698946

It's been a interesting process back. I have started to run some decent mileage without real issue, but the strangest issue is leg extensions in the weight room. that's were is see my biggest issues. Once in a while i do notice some odd weakness when doing a rarely used muscle motion, like fast shuffling around cones, but nothing too bad.

i really thought i would be cane bound, but it's turned out okay... so far
    -Jon
    6/6/2012 TPFx
    6/20/2012 Surgery
    9/14/2012 full 12 wks

Update - No More Home Depot Leg?

It's been over a year since I've posted, and I'm pleased to see some familiar names have recently posted some great progress and return to normalcy. I'm also sorry for all the new folks who've joined this somewhat "exclusive" club. You can read my full story and posts on pages 19 thru 24 here.

I apologize for another long post, but I wanted to give a progress report now that I'm about 19 months post injury. I had my last PT session in September 2012, though I actively continued with most of the exercises through the end of the year on my own. By early 2013 most of the exercises I was assigned by PT were no longer remotely challenging, and some simply weren't needed anymore. My wife actually bought me a BOSU ball in November 2012, and I continue to use it almost daily to keep the knee challenged along with a couple of other exercises/stretches to specifically target my hamstring (more on that later). All of this is essentially a permanent lifestyle change - it's all in addition to my normal weight room routine and physical activities.

To be honest, my experience in the past year has been largely very similar to what Hobblerguy wrote on the previous page. I was back to full work duties by end of July 2012, and I shot Class 4 & 5 whitewater in Sept 2012. I’ve played paintball, hiked, biked, run – heck I can even sprint up the stairs 2 at a time. Most importantly, I can carouse around with and piggyback my almost 5-yr-old daughter to my heart’s content! Am I pain free? No. Do I have the same range of motion as before? Almost, but no. Frankly, an hour doesn’t go by that I am not aware that I have lingering issues with the leg.

But notice I said lingering issues with the leg…not my knee. I realize that I’m probably quite fortunate here, but my knee feels great and strong. I only remember one time over the past year that the knee swelled at all, but there was an impact involved so it was expected. I have almost 100% confidence in the knee itself, and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I may avoid a knee replacement in the future.

The issue I continue to have seems associated with the hamstring, specifically in the area where it attaches to the tibia – coincidentally where my plate is still firmly planted against the bone. The lingering pain has been discussed all along with my PT folks and the OS up until what I thought was going to be my last OS appointment in October 2012. The consensus at the time was that hamstrings can take a while to heal especially after such a traumatic injury – continue to stretch and exercise, give it until at least 1 year post-injury, and go from there.

To make a long story longer, there was enough improvement in the hammy from October 2012 to March of this year that I convinced myself that maybe my poor old body just needed more time to recover. Unfortunately, the hamstring pain has plateaued since then – no noticeable improvement at all, so I went back to the OS yesterday for the first time in a year. A new x-ray, a pretty thorough physical evaluation independently by the resident and the OS, and the verdict: have the hardware taken out, it’s interfering with the hamstring.

Overall, I’m nervous – and I haven’t decided for certain that I’ll have the surgery done, but I’m very encouraged by the stories that have been posted here from folks who have had the metal out. The earliest it will happen is the end of December for work related reasons, but I’ll certainly post my experience here either way.

Thanks again to everyone sharing their experiences on this forum, it really was a huge help for me during 3+ months of no walking & crutches. For the folks that are still on the front side of those 3 months, take solace in all of your progress no matter how small it may seem – you will get better!
    Last edited by TPFxPilot; 10-26-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Fixed link
    Time Line:
    3/26: Type IV TPFx, Left leg
    4/10: Surgery, 1 Plate & 8 Screws
    4/11: Home from Hospital, NWB, Immobilizing Brace
    4/18: 1st Post Op Appt
    5/16: 2nd Post Op Appt, begin ROM PT, eliminate brace 24/7, ROM 2º ext, 80º flex
    5/24: ROM 0º ext, 112º flex
    6/8: ROM 0º ext, 132º flex
    6/27: OS appt - PWB, transition to FWB as tolerated
    7/11: Limited flight duties, full duties by August
    10/23: First appt w/OS in over 1 year
    12/20: Hardware Removal - walked out of hospital!!

Quote Originally Posted by TPFxPilot View Post
    The issue I continue to have seems associated with the hamstring, specifically in the area where it attaches to the tibia – coincidentally where my plate is still firmly planted against the bone.
    Can you please describe this issue in more detail? I wonder if I don't have the same problem. I'm 10 months out and all along a characteristic pain has been at the top of my calf/outside of my knee. My plate is right at the very top and outside of my tibia.

I was 16 weeks before I could be FWB after my TPF. I was lucky to get a great Trauma Surgeon. Got an ex fix the next day, then sent home 10 days later. I dreaded going back to the Hospital to have the ex fix removed and the next two surgeries. Total of 3 weeks before my ex fix came off. Well, half came off one day and the other half a few days later when they finished the ORIF. Took 2 surgeries and 15 hours to put my metal in. I got 19 screws and 3 plates. Woke up with 70 stitches from the two surgeries. Had the metal pulled out a week before last Christmas, then a year to date of the injury I had to have my 5th surgery due to infection when the metal was removed. Doing pretty well now, that was January 25, 2013. However I still have issues with my foot and ankle, and part of my leg with no feeling. Numbness and tingly feeling part of the foot and 1/2 of the ankle. My foot still swells some, but better than it was. I don't try to run really, it hurts too much later. I'm just trying to do what I can and will try to do more as the feeling comes back. I can walk a few miles a day some days.

Like most i found this thread by searching recovery time for a TPF on google. My accident was abit freaked in that i was playing Rugby and made a tackle on a player and then had another player land full weight on my leg. I heard the crack and i knew i was in trouble. I was carried off the field and had a paramedic treatment on the sideline and i was sent to hopsital in an Ambulance.

Injury date 5 October 2013
    Surgery 14 October 2013
    It took 10 days in hospital until surgery occurred and was another 2 days until i left.

I am currently 4 weeks post op and i'm pretty unsure where i am at. I am on crutches and i'm fitted with a ROM brace. It is up to go to 120 degree but i physically cant bend it that far i can't even get it to 90 degrees at the moment. The doctor hasn't given me anytimes but i go back to Doctor in two weeks so hopefully i know more then

Hello, late so forgive me. Had some granite slabs fall on my leg the end of august. A plate and 9 screws, NWB 12 weeks, still a couple weeks off. The calf is where most of my pain is, high inside calf area is very tight. Nothing hit the back of my leg. Is this consistent with anyone's experience?

Quote Originally Posted by hev View Post
    Doctor said mine break was one of the worst he's seen. Split in both directions and compressed the bone :-( - surgery will involve some bone graphing from the femur. I am surprised to hear that I will be moving the knee right after surgery. Doc said he wants my knee at 95% within a couple weeks! No weight for 3 months.

Glad to find this thread. Will keep you guys posted.
    How's that leg doing now? I'm 5 weeks after the same identical surgery (along with plating a shattered wrist) with one exception , they used artificial bone to rebuild my tibia. I can't wait until I can get up and move arround.. I rented a wheelchair and use that for now. what a pain...It brings a whole new level of respect for those who are bound to a chair..So, seeing that you posted this way back...what am I in for?

I too am 3 months post op! My knee was in so many pieces the surgeon couldnt count them. I have two plates and about 10 screws! my surgery was Sept 18. I have just started weightbearing. MY MAIN COMPLAINT? My ankle and foot!!!!Therapist first said it was from not using the ankle.As he watched me walk with no crutch he tells me "bend your knee" Frustrated i tell him but its my ankle that wont bend!!!!! Hang in there!!! I am going to stick it out another week and see if it eases up.

Quote Originally Posted by treemaker View Post
    I had surgery on my broken tibial plateau in early March (I'm 24 years old) while bike riding. The displaced fracture required a plate and 5 screws. I also had a meniscus tear.

It's been just over 2 months since surgery. I've been doing lots of PT for the past 8 weeks and just recently got the clear from the surgeon to start bearing weight! My extension is good (nearly 100%) but I'm still not able to flex (bend) my leg all the way. I'm currently able to walk with a limp a bit around my apartment (about 25% of the day) without much pain, however pain begins to build up around the knee after a day of walking around a bit. I'll be able to increase my weight-bearing time week-by-week, reaching 100% in about 3 weeks. I just wanted to get some input on how much more recovery time I should expect to face. I've done lots of research and have gotten lots of different stories on recovery. Will I not be able to run for a whole year? Any thoughts would help. Thanks!
    I too just started to weightbear on my left knee! I wonder the same thing. I am having trouble weightbearing on my ankle more than my knee. Therapy says that is from not using the ankle. I hope they are right!

I am 15+ months from surgery, and still having a lot of neuropathy, as well as pain at front of shin (I also had open tibial mid-shaft fx; 12 screws and lateral plate). Am considering hardware removal to try and reduce the pain and neuropathy, hoping the hardware is irritating the peroneal nerve and so removal may help. Please share any advise, experiences or opinions. Thanks.

Hi Drenz,

Don't be surpriased by the delay time between injury and surgery; is seems this is very common protocol for this injury. If you read thru the threads you will find that almost everyone had to wait a few days between injury and surgery. IDK Y but it seems to be what they customarily do.

Hi Sumar,

Do NOT feel that you are exceptional with this foot and ankle issue!! If you read thru the threads you will find many, many mentions of terrible ankle and foot distress, myself included. I am 15+ months post op and still have more problems from ankle and foot than from knee and tibia. Asked my ortho about it more than once and he shrugged, and basically said, "I dunno why. All I can tell you is, your ankle bones aren't broken." Basically, all they do is treat what's broken and the rest they don't bother about. I think the ankle troubles are caused by messed up alignment from knee joint and ankle joint. Maybe months and months of expensive PT might help this but I'm unemployed and now disabled so can't possible afford pricey PT. Interested in others' comments about the ankle problems. One thing you might try is the "mirror trick" exercises; might help re-educate the brain some. Keep in touch about the ankle and foot. Do you also have neuropathy in ankle and foot? I have it bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TPFandshaftfracturedc View Post
    I was 16 weeks before I could be FWB after my TPF. I was lucky to get a great Trauma Surgeon. Got an ex fix the next day, then sent home 10 days later. I dreaded going back to the Hospital to have the ex fix removed and the next two surgeries. Total of 3 weeks before my ex fix came off. Well, half came off one day and the other half a few days later when they finished the ORIF. Took 2 surgeries and 15 hours to put my metal in. I got 19 screws and 3 plates. Woke up with 70 stitches from the two surgeries. Had the metal pulled out a week before last Christmas, then a year to date of the injury I had to have my 5th surgery due to infection when the metal was removed. Doing pretty well now, that was January 25, 2013. However I still have issues with my foot and ankle, and part of my leg with no feeling. Numbness and tingly feeling part of the foot and 1/2 of the ankle. My foot still swells some, but better than it was. I don't try to run really, it hurts too much later. I'm just trying to do what I can and will try to do more as the feeling comes back. I can walk a few miles a day some days.
    Hi, our injuries sound very similar except that I only have 16 screws and 2 plates.. How long was it from initial injury to when you had your metal removed? Has removal done you any good in terms of reduced pain, reduced neuropathy, more strength or rom, better balance, anything? When you got the infection, were you sorry you had the hardware pulled? Do you know what caused the infection or how it might have been avoided? Is there anything I can do to cut down o my chance for infection if I do go w/hardware removal? How long did the infection recovery take? Painful? Any light you can shed on wha to expect from the experience of hardware removal and the aftermath will be greatly appreciated. Where was your trauma surgery? Mine was in central NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallen65 View Post
    To all of those who have a choice for hardware removal I say do it. I am just over 2 years with my tpf level 6 and will never have the hardware removed. My only option is a knee replacement. Hardware removal and the rehab after is nothing from what you originally went through. If I had the choice I would be the first in line. Good luck and health to all!
    Hi Mallen65, Please tell us why you don't feel hardware removal is an option. It seems from what I hear that ortho surgeons are divided on whether its worth the added risks or not; some are open to it but others seem very negative about it and basically try to talk you out of it; listing all the things that can go wrong... the screws break off, or they strip, or the plate won't loosen , or you get an infection, or more nerve damage occurs from the cutting so your neuropathy is even worse.... droning on and on.... its as if they really don't love doing the procedure and so they try to talk you out of I for their own sake more than for yours... I'm Really eager for any feedback on this. Who had hardware removed and was glad? Who had it removed and regretted it? why? Who didn't have it removed and why? Are you sorry or glad or ambivalent?

It has been awhile since I posted. I am now 12 months out from a Type 4. External fixator and then plate and 5 screws and one nail. (There were over a dozen pieces ) I was discharged by my surgeon last week. On the positive side I have the same range of motion in both legs, 90% of strength is back! I am doing all normal activities - I do not run unless something is chasing me, but I was limited in running due to a pre-existing injury on the other leg. Distance and stairs are not a problem. I have discomfort occasionally but not any real pain problems. My surgeon who originally guaranteed that I would need a knee replacement now says that based on x-rays and exam I am no more at risk for knee replacement than the general population.

I am still improving - and finding that I need to do a great deal of stretching to maintain flexibility. This is new, so I am not sure why. I can feel the plate particularly on impact (stairs) and surgeon says that is likely to be permanent. It is not significant enough for me to consider hardware removal.

Surgeon tells me to expect another 6 months of noticeable improvement (which would be fantastic) but where I am is entirely acceptable. Continuing to work on strength and flexibility but living normally.