"Avalanche Protection"......from newschoolers.com

bwahahahahaha!
    "I smell varmint puntang."

sounds like dspin7x is blurred.

dspin7x
    5262 posts
    Addict

2004-11-02 00:44:15
    Anyone who gets caught in or sets off an avalanche is a pussy though.

'Don't fuck with me 'cause I'm going to delete everything you ever post and have ever posted - Flanker, A moderator

i don't think i'd take the hood over the use of a helmet. a lot depends on the situation. if i'm dealing with hard slabs then the hood ain't gonna do much for a dismembered body. the hood is a nice idea for the soft slabs, but i prefer to stay on the skis if something slides or just away from it all together.

The guy who invented this so called hood probably has a good general idea, but the thing is, he is wondering if people would use the thing. Problem number one: When hiking in the backcountry you generally get very hot, at least I do, and tend to carry my helmet on my pack and have my hood down unless it is very cold. If it is very cold then I'll wear a beanie. Problem number two: If a person is wearing a helmet, which is becoming the major trend these days for good reasons, wearing a hood over the top is a major pain in the ass.

After reading the first page of that thread I noticed a majority of people said yes, they would wear the hood. I don't care how comfortable this hood is, I think it would be a major pain. If I'm that affraid an area is going to slide that I'd consider putting up with this hood, I probably wouldn't be skiing that area. One other thing, the dude says he can't reveal anything about the hood because it has a patent pending. Now, I really don't know shit about patents, but I've always thought that if a patent is pending, then it doesn't matter who sees it because the person who invented it has already submitted a patent. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Whoever said skiing on fat skis is like having sex with a fat chick, has obviously never had sex with a fat chick." -Jack Handy

Then he says that he's not trying to make any money off of it, that it's just a school project.
    "I smell varmint puntang."

And then he's clearly full of shit because 1/3 of avalanche fatalities are from trauma before the avalanche stops and no fucking hood is going to stop that.

Gratuitous use of the finger moustache is so hot right now.

"I'm an engineering STUDENT who is way smarter than anyone ever especially all those EXPERIENCED engineers (who actually have their degrees too) and snow safety scientists that have been in the industry longer than I've been alive. My device is failsafe, I've thought of everything, and I don't want your opinions because I'm smarter than all of you, now answer my fucking marketing survey you assholes."

What an arrogant prick.

"Infinate air supply" Is it?
    1. An SCBA system tank + regs and an auto deploying mask (ie insanely HEAVY and insanely expensive)

2. A new design of the avalung principle (air intake and exhaust in separate positions to prevent ice mask).

3. Mr. know-it-all hasn't met Mr. Murphy:

Some sort or snorkel system which could be destroyed by the slide or not long enough or at the wrong angle or some sort of avalanche airbag mask that will inflate around your face to create an large airspace, however the inflating bag can: 1. pop or rip by the avalanche 2. Provide a lever for the avalanche to torque off your friggin head if the airspace is big enough and the bag is made by something the avalanche won't destroy (though then one wonders how he inflates it without messing up the victims face or causing barotrauma, that should be cool).
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

oh SNAP! that dude is from the 20th best engfineering school in the Us!!! done F with him.

i like pretzels. soo gooodd

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    "I'm an engineering STUDENT who is way smarter than anyone ever especially all those EXPERIENCED engineers (who actually have their degrees too) and snow safety scientists that have been in the industry longer than I've been alive. My device is failsafe, I've thought of everything, and I don't want your opinions because I'm smarter than all of you, now answer my fucking marketing survey you assholes."
    So, you gonna answer my survey or what? Just because I'm a genious doesn't mean you have to be an ass. I don't want your opinions (because who are you, some sort of backcountry skier or something?), I'm smarter than you'll ever be (ha! how you like me now!).

This ahs to be one of the strangest things I've ever read... The newschoolers thing anyway.

I've always thought... the big problem isn't a lack of Oxygen, it's poisoning by too great a build up of CO2, right? Is it possible to produce a chemical, or a chemical reaction, which - like, say, silica for water - absorbs the CO2 allowing more times for the oxygen from pockets around to filter through? This could be put as part of the avalung system - have a replaceable cartridge over which the CO2 (going towards your back) passes and is reacted - even sweeter if you could have it output the O2

But then again, I watched an avalung test and the bloke was under for just over 2 hours - the only reason they pulled him out was a dangerously low core temp, not a dangerously high CO2 conc. in the blood...

edg

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Summit: you clowned the shit out of the poor kids.

edit: I just read some of their other forums, holy crap I'm glad I don't read this drivel before going skiing, I'd push every kid in big pants riding twintips into the woods. (then take their skis and sell them to non-big pants people)
    Last edited by likwid; 11-05-2004 at 06:27 AM.

Oh, please don't start again. You deleted your last thread after the cavalry told you you're an idiot for saying skiing by yourself is safer.....How dumb is that?

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze
    sounds like dspin7x is blurred.

dspin7x
    5262 posts
    Addict

2004-11-02 00:44:15
    Anyone who gets caught in or sets off an avalanche is a pussy though.

'Don't fuck with me 'cause I'm going to delete everything you ever post and have ever posted - Flanker, A moderator

i don't think i'd take the hood over the use of a helmet. a lot depends on the situation. if i'm dealing with hard slabs then the hood ain't gonna do much for a dismembered body. the hood is a nice idea for the soft slabs, but i prefer to stay on the skis if something slides or just away from it all together.

I found the diagram in the patent pending application:

http://images.southparkstudios.com/i...racters/4a.gif
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Mcwop
    I found the diagram in the patent pending application:

http://images.southparkstudios.com/i...racters/4a.gif

edg

Quote Originally Posted by edg
    I've always thought... the big problem isn't a lack of Oxygen, it's poisoning by too great a build up of CO2, right? Is it possible to produce a chemical, or a chemical reaction, which - like, say, silica for water - absorbs the CO2 allowing more times for the oxygen from pockets around to filter through? This could be put as part of the avalung system - have a replaceable cartridge over which the CO2 (going towards your back) passes and is reacted - even sweeter if you could have it output the O2

But then again, I watched an avalung test and the bloke was under for just over 2 hours - the only reason they pulled him out was a dangerously low core temp, not a dangerously high CO2 conc. in the blood...

edg
    That's a pretty cool idea!!! It would be money to install a solid Ca(OH)2 inline scrubber cartridge. I'd thought about that one for a while. You could put one in there that would last a very long time. The only problem would be keeping it sealed then unsealing it for use easily quickly and reliable during the slide and prevent accidental unsealing it so you don't walk around with a spent cartridge. I couldn't figure out a cheap, small, easy, lightweight way to do it but I'm sure someone could if they put some thought into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Castro's
    One other thing, the dude says he can't reveal anything about the hood because it has a patent pending. Now, I really don't know shit about patents, but I've always thought that if a patent is pending, then it doesn't matter who sees it because the person who invented it has already submitted a patent. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    True. If its patent pending then he has already submitted prelim. patent application to the examiner. These have to be public by law since other companies have to be able to defent their preexisting patents against enfringement by this one.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    Oh, please don't start again. You deleted your last thread after the cavalry told you you're an idiot for saying skiing by yourself is safer.....How dumb is that?
    deleted? here i'll help you find it again.
    blurred showing his ignorance

summit,
    you mean you don't ski with regs and a tank on your back in the bc. man it must be easy to hike without that.

That's a pretty cool idea!!! It would be money to install a solid Ca(OH)2 inline scrubber cartridge. I'd thought about that one for a while. You could put one in there that would last a very long time. The only problem would be keeping it sealed then unsealing it for use easily quickly and reliable during the slide and prevent accidental unsealing it so you don't walk around with a spent cartridge. I couldn't figure out a cheap, small, easy, lightweight way to do it but I'm sure someone could if they put some thought into it.
    My idea was you'd have a purge valve (I think that's the name... one way seal that they use on snorkels so you can expel water and air through the bottom of the snorkel rather than having to blow it all out) so when you pressured it when you breathed out the air would pass over the Ca(OH)2 (There'd be one valve each end) but without the pressure it would be sealed within its container. Of course the problem would be manufacture - can't be cheap to manufacture stuff in a non-air atmosphere, I should imagine.

edg

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier
    True. If its patent pending then he has already submitted prelim. patent application to the examiner. These have to be public by law since other companies have to be able to defent their preexisting patents against enfringement by this one.
    Not quite right. When you apply for a patent, you get to say "patent pending". For eighteen months after you apply it is illegal for the government to give out ANY information about the application, including whether it has even ever been filed.

Although it is illegal to do so, some folks slap "patent pending" on things to scare people away from copying it because this eighteen-month gap makes it difficult to tell whether a patent has actually been applied for unless you know that the people have been saying "patent pending" on the product for more than eighteen months, and then you have to notify the Patent and Trademark office, which will investigate and if warranted prosecute the people. After eighteen months have passed, anyone can request a copy of the application.

More than you probably wanted to know.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze
    deleted? here i'll help you find it again.
    blurred showing his ignorance
    My bad, some others who discussed the thread told me it had been deleted, guess they were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by edg
    My idea was you'd have a purge valve (I think that's the name... one way seal that they use on snorkels so you can expel water and air through the bottom of the snorkel rather than having to blow it all out) so when you pressured it when you breathed out the air would pass over the Ca(OH)2 (There'd be one valve each end) but without the pressure it would be sealed within its container. Of course the problem would be manufacture - can't be cheap to manufacture stuff in a non-air atmosphere, I should imagine.

edg
    that would be the only sensible way to use a scrubber in a non enriched air system i think.

as to manufacturing it in, could you really get a good seal that would keep the cartridge fresh for months? no leaks etc? and still have it light and cheap and small? yea and then there is the manufacturing issue but then you could always pull the scrubber out right before you put it in and seal the package well. the cartridge probably could be made fairly cheap like 10-30/per if you could use preexisting prepackaged solids (you can't use granular scrubbers for this application). Solids will work for different orienation, I'm not sure how well they'd handle physical abuse. That would have to be tested as well.

APD: sounds like you need to plop down for one of those fancy new fibercomposite wrapped SCBA tanks the FDs have.
    and I thought you ahd deleted that thread, my bad
    Last edited by Summit; 11-05-2004 at 08:58 AM.

That forum just reaffirms my distaste for that aspect of the industry. What a bunch of rude children they are. I'm so glad most of the people there don't even want to ski trees.

that would be the only sensible way to use a scrubber in a non enriched air system i think.

as to manufacturing it in, could you really get a good seal that would keep the cartridge fresh for months? no leaks etc? and still have it light and cheap and small? yea and then there is the manufacturing issue but then you could always pull the scrubber out right before you put it in and seal the package well. the cartridge probably could be made fairly cheap like 10-30/per if you could use preexisting prepackaged solids (you can't use granular scrubbers for this application). Solids will work for different orienation, I'm not sure how well they'd handle physical abuse. That would have to be tested as well.
    Perhaps a way to keep the cartridge fresh would be to have it strongly sealed (big spwings!) in a plastic casing, which you could then push into the mechanism, which would push open these spring casings, just relying on the purge valve to keep the seal in the intervening times.

I have no idea about the pricing, manfucaturing or robustness of this idea - but it mightn't be a bad thing to research. The other main problem I could see with the system - if you wear it outside your jacket (which is how the avalung is worn, I belive) is the filter could get very cold. I suppose if you pass the air over at a higher pressure you could counter this - but with having to force air down a tube, open two purge valves and have increased pressure here it could cause panic in an already pretty panicy situation (if the user thinks the system is unresponsive). I think the theory of it sounds simple enough : One pipe goes to the mouth, it splits at a junction with one valve that leads to a pipe/permeable membrane in the chest area which is sealed by a valve that lets the air be sucked in. On the other side of the junction you have a seal the other way round (so it's open when you break out) which leads round the back, into this catridge area (with the valve system described above), and then leads out the another permeable membrane over the back area. There might be dash of silica in with the CO2 scrubber so that there isn't condensation on the surface of the back part of the device.

Food for though, maybe?

edg

silica is neat but again with the keeping it fresh (do we keep adding valves)

and for the purge valves (however you want to do it, mushroom or diaphram /w mushroom or whatever) the better you make the seal, the more you have to sorry about maintainence (make sure nothing is in there, no grit prventing the mushroom from closing, maintinence checks to make sure a diaphram isnt checking) OTOH you can make them for good long times between maintainence. the question is how long can you keep an unsealed scrubber reasonably fresh in the system? 6 months?

two other issues:
    1. valves need to fail safe (open)
    2. the avalung is encouraged to be breathed through while skiing through dangerous areas, not just when trapped, so that the mouthpiece is always in incase of a problem.
    3. 2 combined with the filter life means the filter must be easily replacable by the user or a shope tech so that the user doesnt have to send the reavalung back to the factory

My gut feeling is this kid is making the whole story up about his breakthrough invention, but I could be wrong. I guess someone will have to go to CU on 12/2 to find out for sure.

If this thing is legit, it could definitely be interesting. A hood probably isn't the best way to handle it, but you need to start somewhere.