Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Semi-Custom Dual rod/reel holders FS

The idea for this came from the [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186529"]Weekend project idea - rod case for vehicle[/ame] thread. It seems that the "fitting" featured there isn't really a fitting at all, so I've decided to make a few.

I say that they are semi-custom, as right now the design is open to changes, but once a size/shape is agreed upon and a mold is made that's the design for a while. Here is what I have so far:

• Stainless and rubber hardware
    • Accepts 2 2" PVC pipes (user supplied) for the rods
    • Interior cavity measures 4.5" inches wide, 5.75" Long and a minimum of 4.25" from the center of the rod tube to the base. Center of rod tube to side is 1".
    • Bottom edges are a 2" radius.
    • Divider to "split" the reel compartment

To start, I want to make this fit the majority of the reels that you guys use, so some help there would be good. Other small changes and suggestions are welcome too.

PM me to order, or post suggestions here.

EDIT: Final design is in [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2854092&postcount=29"]this post![/ame]
    Last edited by krp8128; 05-04-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Looks pretty tight!

I am interested in buying one as well. Can I get it in PBR colors though? (Just kidding). When is the first mold gonna be done? I would like to see a picture and then where to send the funds too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wysplit_ride View Post
    I am interested in buying one as well. Can I get it in PBR colors though? (Just kidding). When is the first mold gonna be done? I would like to see a picture and then where to send the funds too.
    I'm hoping to have the first couple done by the end of month. That's a ways off, but it leaves me time to go "Oh shit, that didn't work very well!" and start something over. Making the actual mold is going to be the most time consuming aspect.

Here's a 4.5" diameter reel on a 0.8" (at the seat) rod:

Obviously it doesn't currently fit. Could a few people measure what they have and post dimensions A,B,C,D and E? My gear is 8 hours away at the moment...

EDIT: Final design is in [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2854092&postcount=29"]this post![/ame]
    Last edited by krp8128; 05-04-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Order that peeps will get their gear, pending payments:

Pow4Brains
    telee
    Happy Fun Ball

Please copy and add your name to the list if interested.

3.5" dia reel mounted 3.7" from the butt of the rod fits:

The reel on the right is 1.5" wide

Last edited by krp8128; 05-04-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Don't forget about the handles on the reel....I am thinking there may need to be some space between the pipes. I will get you some measurements when I get home...although mine will be small since I just have a 4 and a 5 weight. Thanks for taking this on.

Pow4Brains
    telee
    Happy Fun Ball
    Gretch6364
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

krp

nicely done that is a great looking product.

although I don't need one (as I have a full rack in the van) I'll get some measurements of my 8wt gear with and without the neoprene bag (which they would be in for protection)

I'll pass this on to some fishing folk around here as well
    thanks, I'm glad that photo didn't just tease everyone forever

Very interested in one. Here are my numbers, they are for my 8wt set up which besides spey outfits, has the largest numbers. My 5wt and 4wt will fit in a bigger set up. Also, any way to go to a locking hasp instead of the rubber one?

A:1.38
    B:3.0 Includes measurement from outside of reel handle to outside of brake adj.
    C:3.0
    D:4.0
    E:5.0 Edit for stupidity

I have forwarded this thread to some buddies who I am pretty sure will be down for one.

Will there be a gasket to keep out the dust and water?

DeathVan made a good point about the Neo. cases. The case for my reel grew the reel numbers by .25. It would be nice to make the box large enough to be able to install a custom cut out foam liner that each person could purchase separately and custom cut for there needs. That way you would be able to accommodate everyone's needs with one size.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 05-03-2010 at 03:07 PM.

I like the idea of just putting a solid piece of foam inside it that can be cut by the purchaser (using that foam that has the little squares already in it would be best)...that was each person could fit thier own reels and it could be done in a way that would help keep dirt out.

Thanks
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Will there be a gasket to keep out the dust and water?
    Working on something, this was my initial thought, mainly for the dust.

What are you thinking for a locking hasp? Padlockable? It's tough to find something that will pull the pieces tight, resist corrosion and won;t cost $25 itself...

DeathVan made a good point about the Neo. cases. The case for my reel grew the reel numbers by .25. It would be nice to make the box large enough to be able to install a custom cut out foam liner that each person could purchase separately and custom cut for there needs. That way you would be able to accommodate everyone's needs with one size.
    Anyone have objections to making this a little larger to fit everyone's reels?

a locking hasp or a simple eye-piece through a slot with a twist lock, the buyer could equip it with a mini padlock, this would be a great idea and enough of an obstacle to deter most "fly rod thieves" while you are enjoying a well deserved beer at the local hole on your way home.

and bigger is better, more room for fighting butts, reel handles and padding

(also not putting a sticker on your vehicle that says "I have a $1000 piece of equipment in here, come and get it" helps) -although stickers are rad

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Working on something, this was my initial thought, mainly for the dust. Sweet

What are you thinking for a locking hasp? Padlockable? It's tough to find something that will pull the pieces tight, resist corrosion and won;t cost $25 itself...
    Locking,Yes. Something like the picture in the original thread. That thing looked like it would pull the hinged pieces tight and accept a padlock.

Anyone have objections to making this a little larger to fit everyone's reels?
    Just make it big enough to have a .5" clearance all the way around on a big set up, so that way a person can custom cut a foam liner in there.
    Thanks again man for taking this on.

I'll see what i can find on the locking front,makes more sense to me.

Is anyone going to have a height issue with this? Right now i am doing a re-design that has 4 3/8" from the bottom of the tubes to the base of the holder, I'm assuming too low and it will hit your roof...

Use a "Drawbolt with Padlock Loop" latch. Like on a tool box. You can get them here:

http://www.hardwareelf.com:8080/elf/latchesandlocks.jsp

for $1.69 each and they are nickel plated. You might be able to find brass somewhere as well.

Is anyone going to have a height issue with this? Right now i am doing a re-design that has 4 3/8" from the bottom of the tubes to the base of the holder, I'm assuming too low and it will hit your roof...
    I would not have a problem with the height...all else fails and it hanges out the back a little so it won't hit the roof or we can put something under the back mount and give it a little angle.

Also, here is a brass plated option for that latch, but I think you would be fine with a nickle plated one and could probably find a bigger one in necessary:

http://www.woodworkingparts.com/prod...s-Plated-.html

^^^I hate zinc...

Stainless for the same price I was going to pay for that rubber latch!

This is going on my topper rack, so no height problem for me. If there is one, I will shim under the tubes to gain clearance. I am thinking of building some aluminum shims, built with radius to accept the tubes and bolt to my rack anyhow.

So far what is the overall height?

That is it^^^

So far what is the overall height?
    7", and it looks like a 4.5" dia reel will fit.

Version #3

Locking latch, as requested. I added the bump out the back to accommodate fighting butts etc.

One note on the fit, that is , IMHO, a BIG reel that is stuffed in there, it is 4.5" dia and over 3.5" wide. As you can see in that last pic, the handles don't fit. If needed, I can widen everything out further. The tight fit is assuming that the rod is centered in the tube, so there is a little more room.

Last edited by krp8128; 05-04-2010 at 10:53 AM.

One note on the fit, that is , IMHO, a BIG reel that is stuffed in there, it is 4.5" dia and over 3.5" wide. As you can see in that last pic, the handles don't fit. If needed, I can widen everything out further.
    I don't really care either way about the width. That is a really big reel, and you are assuming someone would need two of those. You could easily put the big reel on the left (assuming you are right handed) and have a smaller reel on the right side.

Personally, I don't have any setups that big, so I don't reelly care. If you get too wide, you may want to use a different hinge on the top.

I think it looks great.

By my numbers, the inside width measurement would need to be a minimum of 7" to accommodate for the addition of foam padding. By doing this, a person could customize the foam to fit smaller reels as well as the bigger stuff. It may not hurt to stretch that number to 7.25 or 7.5 even. I've been told that wider is better. She was kind of a slut though.

Good point...a little extra width for foam is a good idea and 7.5" is really not all that wide if you think about it.

Not counting where the tubes come out the front, this is pretty much 8x8x8:

Last edited by krp8128; 05-04-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Looks great. The only thing I have to add is square the back of it off instead of bringing it back closer to the reel. So, just a box shape. Seems like a simpler design, plus you gain nothing by bringing it back closer. Just my .02