Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ok - sorry I haven't been paying much attention in here lately - and maybe I just don't see it - but how much is it again? How much is the deposit?

Thanks!
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Why don't we just delete this thread and take care of this through PM...also...just sell it unassembled without a hinge or latch...this product is made for the purpose of storing large vibrators...it doesn't even do the same thing as the other products!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Gretch, see my earlier posts, it isn't that simple.

Everything is all set, I have independent confirmation from 2 people in the legal know that I'd likely be in the clear, and a third wasn't able to find the $400 design in a patent search.

Yesterday I got the plugs 90% done, I just need to do a little sanding and then prime them. After that it is wax on, wax off (~6x), make the mold then make the first box.

Now that I have cunted up my own thread....

Pow4Brains, paypal 5/3
    telee, check received 5/10 #446
    Happy Fun Ball, paypal 5/4
    Gretch6364
    DEVO
    2FUNKY paypal echeck 5/12
    sunpower, paypal deposit 5/5
    SFB paypal 5/13
    Donkey Punch-I'll gladly take two.
    Adipose deposit #5122
    72Twenty
    Impact Hottub paypal deposit 5/13

If I didn't list you as having paid, but you did, send me a PM and call me and idiot...

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Split k00k. A friend is building us a part, we are paying for materials. EAT A FAT DICK!
    Correct. *IF* it is patented, he is ok as long as he does not try to sell it online or to shops. No I do not have any law experience

^^^ People need to read....

Your are very, very wrong, and it has already been explained why.

UPDATE:

Apologies to all who were hoping for their holders by now. Here's whats up:

I had originally planned to leave Rochester, NY after i walked across the stage at graduation on May 22nd. I sent all of my tools, supplies and the 2 plugs (used tomake the molds) for the reel holders home with my parents that weekend. Turns out i had some unfinished business in town, and along with packing my remaining belongings, did not make it back to Maine until 6/2.

My father's garage, as usual, was a fucking disaster with stuff piled on every tool. I moved enough to get to work, and started on the back hatch mold. Poland is kinda rural, and it is a minimum 30-minute drive to a hardware store, so when I had to run out 2 days in a row for stuff that I thought I had here (it got used by others....) that ate up a lot of time.

When I went to pull the plug out of the finished mold, the damn thing was stuck solid. I spent the better part of 2 days chiseling MDF out of the fiberglass cavity. Once that was done, I had to wet sand the mold from 220 on up to 1200 then run out again for buffing compound (again, used by someone else...) to finish the mold. Since I was worried about the front half sticking, I stopped work on that mold while I waited for some different mold release material to arrive.

As of now I have 2 finished back hatches, and a finished main body mold. Tomorrow I'll get 2 main body peices out of the mold, and likely another 2 hatches, and will start assembling with hardware. UPS should be delivering that tomorrow, I got some pieces in last week, but amazon.com sent me non-stainless hinges.

SYNOPSIS:

People who use things that I had left over from past projects suck, especially when they make more money then I do. Driving to buy anything takes an hour round trip. MDF+spraypaint+wax+resin=THE STUCK, contrary to what a big name composites co says. Parts are finally coming out of mold 2x per day, second mold done.

Vinylester resin gives of a shitton of fumes, kicks mad fast, and is a lot less pleasant to work with compared to ski building epoxy.

Thanks for the update bro. Cannot wait to test drive one.

I'm going to be completely honest here, this project is getting on my nerves. I had to take a break from it today, things just didn't go right yesterday and I had to make time for myself, and for my head to clear.

I popped 2 front pieces out of the mold Friday and yesterday morning. Each one had the holes for the 2" going in completely different directions. Other then that, they looked pretty good and things seemed to fit together with minimal fuss.

I should be getting more resin tomorrow and will be making a new mold that has the misalignment fixed. I've got an interview this week and i need to make a trip to MA for someone who is tossing me odd jobs when he can. Hopefully later this week i will have some finished and in the mail. If you need a refund or have any big concerns just PM me. Custom fiberglass is a lot of work from scratch, and things need to be right in the beginning to save a lot of time in the end...

I do have four of these ready for their mates:

Yeah thanks for the update and hard work. Take the time you need...I am sure there is more important shit for you to do right when you move back home.

Thanks again.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

poked my head into the shop for a little bit after posting that.

I ight be able to save the mold by changing technique a little, i threw together a test to see if things will bond correctly. Either way, I'm out of resin until midday tomorrow...

Thanks for the update, they look great. No worries on the time for me, if some else is dying for one feel free to put mine off.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Progress, shit is working again:

Fresh from the mold:

Coat of primer:

Picked up some nice foam for the inside too

nice...looks good

Looks good man. Thanks for the update. Not in a real big hurry, it is fucking raining again here .

^^^^we've had that off and on here too. Every river that I drove by from Maine to RI today was brown. It also fucks with resin curing, the sun is out and it is warm when i mix everything so i reduce the hardener to have a little more working time, but then it rains and the temp drops. Makes things stay sticky too long....

This looks great! I cant believe I missed this. Sorry you had to deal with some drama.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    This looks great! I cant believe I missed this. Sorry you had to deal with some drama.
    Keep watching the thread, once i get the existing requests taken care of next week I'll be making as many as i can to form an inventory....

Also, if you placed a deposit, I'll have a final price (and pics) up this weekend.

Cool...once you the price up, I will send you the money...I after all the first person on the list that did not send a deposit yet

What kind of spray paint is the best for PVC?
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

^^^krylon fusion, I believe.

For the small amount of PVC that I am actually painting o n these (a lot of what you see has resin on it) I am thoroughly scuffing the surface, priming with automotive primer, and then using good paint.I couldn't get the black primer of my plug earlier, so this seems to work out well.

They look Great!! Sweet!Thanks for taking the time to make these.. So do you get out west much might have to owe you a fishing trip somewhere??

Hoping the last coat of paint dries in time for me to re-attach the hinges and box it up for the post office at noon. Really humid though.

Everything seems to be working out. I fit the hinge yesterday with a lot less fuss then I anticipated. I added a 1/2" overlap lip of the front piece that is not shown in the 3D model, this wraps around the back door when it is closed and aids in keeping dust/water out. The paint might scuff where the 2 surfaces meet, but it really won;t affect anything.

I lined the inside and made a divider out of 1" foam that is pretty easy to cut. This hides the texture of the fiberglass, and makes it nice and soft inside.

Quote Originally Posted by sunpower View Post
    They look Great!! Sweet!Thanks for taking the time to make these.. So do you get out west much might have to owe you a fishing trip somewhere??
    Never been west of PA, but am hopefully moving to CA soon....
    Last edited by krp8128; 06-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Hi everyone, things are finally coming out of the molds correctly and I have been making some good progress. Now that I know everything is working out correctly, I don't need to do any design changes and I can stop buying tools/supplies for the time being, I tallied up my costs.

These are costing me about $55 to make, that includes shipping on anything I had to order but not gas for the 2-3 times I had to go to stores. I'd like to make a little bit off each one, just to make it worth my time and to cover any other small costs I haven't accounted for.

The price will therefore be $75+ship. For that price, you are getting:

• 316 Stainless steel hardware, plus one piece of aluminum
      Semi-gloss painted fiberglass shell
    • 1" High density foam lining
    • 2" PVC couplings, you just need to use PVC cement to glue in your pipe
    • It looks pretty sweet IMHO

I need to put in the last couple screws, and touch up the paint, I ran out and switched brands so it doesn't quite match. I also did not glue in the foam, in case you want to do a little customization.

I glued in the foam, it was moving around too much and getting caught if I left it unglued. This stuff cuts pretty easy with a sharp (new) utility knife. If you have to trim anything away, I would cut 1/4 x 1/4 grid in the area you need to modify and pull it out (think pic and pluck foam). It does compress quite a bit, so I bet 99% of you are all set.

Also, IIRC one person wanted black. I no longer have a can of black paint kicking around, so i can either leave in in primer for you or you can send me $5 and I'll paint it black...

I can also ship them with a small masterlock for an additional $5.

4 of these will be going out tomorrow.
    Last edited by krp8128; 06-22-2010 at 06:38 PM.

So now that you have the first 4 done, when do you think you will start the second batch...ie, when do you want me to pay you? Please shoot me a PM with the payment info and shipping estimate whenever you are ready.

My zip code is 80204. They look great BTW!