Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    holy shit, put me on the list I want one
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by sunpower View Post
    Finally got some time to try and rig this up, so I glued in my tubes and was getting ready to mount to the truck when I noticed that the couplings that were molded in to the case were cracked actually the fiberglass around the couplings cracked I guess from stress of the tubes(pvc) they actually are kinda heavy. So upon further inspection it look's like the fiberglass never really grabed the pvc couplings when the mold was made, maybe they don't like each other?? You can see where the pvc was scratched up to help the bond but I don't think it happend I still think this is a great Idea but maybe the materials are a bit heavy?? ABS black plastic or maybe electrical conduit (still heavy) would work better. Please note I am not complaining!! I was well aware what I was getting into.. I still think krp8128 did a great job I still appreciate the effort and hard work!!!! I am not looking for a refund at all!!Thinking back the ABS pipe would have been a much better choice for the tubes. How are all the others working out??

Hmmmm, I have had mine mounted up for over a month now, and no issues. I did use ABS tubes though since I wanted everything black. I also kept the end close the rack to support it as much as possible.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Quote Originally Posted by sunpower View Post
    Finally got some time to try and rig this up, so I glued in my tubes and was getting ready to mount to the truck when I noticed that the couplings that were molded in to the case were cracked actually the fiberglass around the couplings cracked I guess from stress of the tubes(pvc) they actually are kinda heavy. So upon further inspection it look's like the fiberglass never really grabed the pvc couplings when the mold was made, maybe they don't like each other?? You can see where the pvc was scratched up to help the bond but I don't think it happend I still think this is a great Idea but maybe the materials are a bit heavy?? ABS black plastic or maybe electrical conduit (still heavy) would work better. Please note I am not complaining!! I was well aware what I was getting into.. I still think krp8128 did a great job I still appreciate the effort and hard work!!!! I am not looking for a refund at all!!Thinking back the ABS pipe would have been a much better choice for the tubes. How are all the others working out??
    Shit, sorry to see that.

Where/what was supported? Was the box portion just freefloating? I did have problems with adhesion, some of the boxes have screws through the PVC molded into the glass center portion.

Ultimatly that is a PITA stress point. I would recomend mounting this through the front portion of the box. On the newer ones I added a little more meat, mainly for ease of finishing, but this makes it flat for mounting.

I'm done making boxes for now though. I was out of materials, amking very little on each one and pretty much just sick of them. Plus I just got a job last week, am staying with friends in Rochester and will be moving everything back in September.

However, I know work at a plastic injection molding company! So hopefully in a few weeks I can look into having these proffesinally molded (I'll fix the stress issue first!) and doing some higher volune sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

[QUOTE=krp8128;2949532]Shit, sorry to see that.

Where/what was supported? Was the box portion just freefloating? I did have problems with adhesion, some of the boxes have screws through the PVC molded into the glass center portion.

To be brutally honest it never made it up off the table as soo as I picked it up you could see the stress fractures,after i glued the tubes in I picked it up about a foot or so in front of the box to move over to the truck to mount. Like I said before I don't think the glass evere bonded to the PVC coupling. It just happend to easy.

Are these still available?

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Hoping the last coat of paint dries in time for me to re-attach the hinges and box it up for the post office at noon. Really humid though.

Everything seems to be working out. I fit the hinge yesterday with a lot less fuss then I anticipated. I added a 1/2" overlap lip of the front piece that is not shown in the 3D model, this wraps around the back door when it is closed and aids in keeping dust/water out. The paint might scuff where the 2 surfaces meet, but it really won;t affect anything.

I lined the inside and made a divider out of 1" foam that is pretty easy to cut. This hides the texture of the fiberglass, and makes it nice and soft inside.

Never been west of PA, but am hopefully moving to CA soon....

For Sale

I never got around to mounting mine up. After debating about it I decided it was not for me. Anyhow, mine is up for sale. If you are unfamiliar with these just read the thread, great product! Mine has the reinforced couplings. Asking $110 TYD.

To respond to shadowcast or anyone else looking for me to make another holder, no I do not plan on producing any more.

I was barely breaking even at points during this venture last summer, and was only doing it in attempt to pay some bills while job searching. I have since worked for 6 months in the injection mold industry, and am now in the carbon fiber products industry.

I could get a bunch made up, but they would NOT be cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Wow

Any shot you know where I could find one of these nowadays?