Thread: Cheap laptops

Cheap laptops

Anyone know a website where I can buy new laptops for a reduced price? Thanks
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

Just about anywhere. I am in the market and have been doing some research...there are SOOO many sub $500 laptops out there, I have been focusing on durability/reliability.

It seems like outside the generally much more expensive Lenovos, the top two brands regarded as the most reliable are ASUS and Toshiba. FWIW.

Try the Dell outlet...
    I just picked up a scratch and dent studio 1749, i3 intel processor, 6GB ram, 500gb hard drive, DVD burner, JBL sound, HD 17.3 ", screen, windows 7 64 bit, larger 9 cell battery $629 shipped...
    Got it and you cant tell it is not new...perfect condition...
    New it would have been well over $1200...
    Got it for my son, going off to college...
    They have tons of laptops from $300 all the way up to 3k...but much less than brand new...with all of the benefits of buying a new one from Dell...
    I have purchased all of my PC's this way ...never had a problem...

http://www.dell.com/outlet?dgc=ST&cid=20497&lid=661008

^^^^
    X2.
    Bought my refurb mini-9 there and could not find a significant issue with it.
    I would buy there again without reservation...

Have you looked into a P-p-p-powerbook?

Dell can suck it. I was without an AC adaptor for 23 days but was still charged for overnight shipping on a replacement. No one ever bothered to tell me their AC adaptors were backordered.

FUCK DELL.

I suppose it's better now that they are sold at Best Buy but nonetheless, FUCK DELL.

Yeah, this has never been discussed in tech talk or anything....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

cheapest laptops listed everyday here: http://dealnews.com/
    ....and michigan still sucks

Just troll your local big boxes till something goes on clearance, or check woot. There is very little margin on that stuff.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

A few months ago we got my wife a Compaq from Best Buy for $339 I believe. The things is f'ing great with a price that's hard to beat.
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    It seems like outside the generally much more expensive Lenovos, the top two brands regarded as the most reliable are ASUS and Toshiba. FWIW.
    My two cents would be to stay away from lenovo - I bought one after having an IBM that I really liked. In the first year I had to send in the lenovo 4 times for hardware issues. Talked to a local tech guy and he said after taking over from IBM they have cut all sorts of quality. I'll never buy one again

Quote Originally Posted by jz3 View Post
    My two cents would be to stay away from lenovo - I bought one after having an IBM that I really liked. In the first year I had to send in the lenovo 4 times for hardware issues. Talked to a local tech guy and he said after taking over from IBM they have cut all sorts of quality. I'll never buy one again
    I thot the quality had improved to where Lenovo was the best PC (not mac) since they sold most of the PC business (initially IBM kept 19%) to Lenovo but then all I ever seen was broken IBM's ... for years & years

the main thing is you had somewhere to send it and you got yer HW fixed

I have a sweet 15in HP that is just sitting around. Used 1 time and got a bigger one. The bigger one has been rocking hard for 2 years...not one issue. dv 2xxx with bluetooth, fast wireless, etc...hard drive is 200gb.

I bought an Acer Aspire One subnotebook. A GREAT little notebook! Ultra-portable, nice screen, good wi-fi. I think it has Bluetooth but not positive on that. Nice and slim and small, unlike some of those HUGE widescreen notebooks people carry around. Battery lasts for 9 hours if you get the right battery. 160 gig hardrive...but no DVD drive. Portability is it's greatest advantage.

Walmart sells them for $199 including Windows 7.

Don't buy any display model for a discount, though. I made that mistake, and after probably 15,000 fingers screwing with the thing, I have had all sorts of problems with the "on" button!! Arrrggghhh. No fault of Acer...just the problem that comes with buying a display unit.

How about eBay? just look for a seller with a high rating.

I was told Acer is one of the only LT companies who make their own LT's if thats any consolation

we got an HP kicking around her with a dead PS and a kacked hinge after only 2 yrs ,I wouldnt buy another not based on a sample of 1 but because the they don't do as well in the repair stats

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    I bought an Acer Aspire One subnotebook. A GREAT little notebook! Ultra-portable, nice screen, good wi-fi. I think it has Bluetooth but not positive on that. Nice and slim and small, unlike some of those HUGE widescreen notebooks people carry around. Battery lasts for 9 hours if you get the right battery. 160 gig hardrive...but no DVD drive. Portability is it's greatest advantage.

Don't buy any display model for a discount, though. I made that mistake, and after probably 15,000 fingers screwing with the thing, I have had all sorts of problems with the "on" button!! Arrrggghhh. No fault of Acer...just the problem that comes with buying a display unit.
    My ao751 with 11.6" with windows xp has crappy battery life, and is really starting to piss me off. It can't even print from Visio. I know it's an update that did it too.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    I just checked the Walmart website and it says these are $300. You must have got a screamin' deal if you got one for $200.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I thot the quality had improved to where Lenovo was the best PC (not mac) since they sold most of the PC business (initially IBM kept 19%) to Lenovo but then all I ever seen was broken IBM's ... for years & years

the main thing is you had somewhere to send it and you got yer HW fixed
    thats true - customer service is pretty fast but I can't say good. One of the repairs was replacing the board controlling the keyboard and mouse; when they sent it back the techs forgot to put in all the RAM and it ran super slow for a week until I could figure out what they had done and sent it back...again.

I might have just gotten a lemon and it has been almost two years now but I wouldn't try it again

Consumer Reports rated computers this month and I recall Lenovo being one of, if not the least reliable laptop brand.

The sample of one thing you get on these threads is kind of useless ,cuz you need to find all the Dell or all the mac threads and try to draw a conclusian , I would put more faith in the ratings PC magazine put s out with the graphs and all ...go buy a magazine that has some real stats and besides they are all pretty close in quality all within a few % points

The BIG thing IS the whole experience of how the company is to deal with when shit happens cuz shit will happen ,is the dispatch good ,is the tech support who does PD and sends the call to hardware or the depot good ,if you have onsite is the tech good , do you sit on the phone for 15mins listening to elevator music everytime you call ?

You think that same tech would fix your next lenovo ,thats like the time my kid figured he would just go catch that fish he lost to get his lure back ? and besides everyone fucks up, I personaly remember 2 stretches where I went a whole week without fixing anything ...I fucked up everything I touched for 1 week .

I would also try to go somewhere and play around with whatever LT you are interested in cuz they are all a little different

If I sent a PC in to a depot I think I would pull the HD and the memory if possible

My Lenovo's been fine for 2 years and I really like the keyboard and eraserhead. To get back to the OP, the outlet/refurbished section of Dell/HP/Lenova can have some great deals. As a bonus you can still get screens that are 4:3 and Windows XP if you care about that sort of thing and don't need the latest processor.

laptopcloseout.ca has some good deals ($349 for a Lenova T43) but I've never bought from them.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    My Lenovo's been fine for 2 years and I really like the keyboard and eraserhead. .
    eraserhead ?? do you mean the trackpoint system with the little joystick in the middle of the keyboard that looks like an eraserhead ?

I guess it does look like an eraser but we used to call that thing a mouse condom

I like Toshiba for a LP and HP for the desktop. But then again I wipe the hard drive and install Ubuntu on them (and my customers also, if cool with them) and have no problems at all.
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again