Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

What awd vehicle for 5+ people?

So uh Comish went and knocked Mrs. Comish up good and now look we are going to be the lucky recipient of twins. I always only wanted 2 kids for a variety of reasons so this was solidly not in my/our life plan, but oh well, you don't exactly get to order it up like your In-n-Out burger.

I fall into the camp that strongly prefers manual transmission German cars, not trucks. Current ride is '04 A4 Avant 6sp. Problem here is I now need a vehicle that will hold 3 car seats and all the assorted paraphernalia of having 3 kids under 2.5 years old. Yes, woo is me. 3 seats barely can be shoved in the A4, but its retardedly tight and really won't fly for our standard 4.5 hour Mammoth expedition.

This vehicle has to have all wheel drive/4wd due to the lovely CHP requiring chains at the slightest thought of snow, and Comish is way over groveling in the mud at midnight to put chains on. I don't care how well your fwd car does, its a simple CHP thing here.

Thinking realistically we are gonna want 3 rows of seats to give us flexibility to add a friend to posse when needed and/or let Mrs. Comish sit w/ bambinos sometimes which leads me to an SUV which really depresses me. No manual SUV's that I know of. I don't care about off-road performance and want something on the sportier end of the spectrum. Would prefer better gas mileage, but 0-60 in 9 sec's doesn't fly either. Don't mind buying used w/ 30k miles to keep pricing around $30kish.

Sooo, what should I get? I have a feeling my 45-50ish ski days from this year might be a bit lower next year...

Anyone gonna be in Mammoth this weekend?
    He who has the most fun wins!

7-passenger version of Subaru Tribeca.

Please add a "why I should go for this vehicle" to any suggestions please. There are plenty of lists out there so I know which one's exist, but want some real reviews/suggestions. Cheers.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qpQzK2Rj4"]YouTube- Canyonero Song[/nomedia]

BMW530IX station wagon. It's the only choice for those with similar requirements (goddammit, I wanna a decent sized awd station wagon with a fucking MANUAL...).
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

AWD minivan, like the Sienna?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    BMW530IX station wagon. It's the only choice for those with similar requirements (goddammit, I wanna a decent sized awd station wagon with a fucking MANUAL...).
    Thought you might pop up here since it seems we have similar requirements. Yeah, test drove one recently. Definitely a nice car. Just wondering if its big enough for 5? I'm kinda in uncharted territory for me.

Porsche Cayenne -slick and I think the brood would fit

I don't really know though, I drive a giant POS with no seatbelts

-Danno: hipster Sienna, that's funny^^^

Q7, Cayenne, x5, G-wagen? Those all seem up your alley and will be kinda affordable lightly used. You're already used to paying for the german car maintenance. Buster is on to something with the 530IX wagon, but good luck finding a used one.
    Alternately, keep your fun car and buy a used minivan for the car seat years. That way when it's good it really is good (Audi time) and when it sucks you know you're just biting the bullet for a time. Compromise sucks - this is the way around that.
    Congrats on your overwhelming fertility!
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Sorry dude but it sounds like you need a mini van ,some of them even come with built in car seats

A paddling bud (outdoor chik)of mine pulls up next to me at a stop light ,instead of her silver CRV she is drivivng a purple windstar ,I asked what happened to her CRV ?

she said "I am having twins " in addition to her 2 yr old daughter

"Uh ok ...I understand "

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

530ix wagon for sure, and get sunshine kids radian 80 car seats--good for newborn to 80 lbs, only 17" wide so no problem fitting 3 across.

Or, if you are really committed, check out a 2007 Mercedes R63 AMG...and buy helmets for the family.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

I have driven an older BMW X5 with a manual. Had the 3.0 though, which probably doesn't push a tank like that so fast.

I'd grab a Touareg with the V6 diesel or a Q7 with the diesel. I think both are really well designed cars and you get the nice mpg's of diesel. Here's a pic I found of the Q7 seating.

x5's, touaregs, cayennes are tiny inside...marginal improvement from an audi wagon or volvo xc wagon

i've ridden in an audi q7 and it's ok, not huge

for size, try land cruiser/LR4 - or - excursion/suburban (depending on your tastes)

or VW van

Though I don't have any kids (that I know of), I drive (and LOVE!!) my Toyota Previa Alltrac (i.e. AWD) minivan.

So much so, in fact, that I'm keeping my eyes peeled for newer Sienna XLE AWD's when the used prices come down. Great vehicles, reliable, simple, and they actually drive pretty well.

Not like an Avant, mind you, but what were you expecting?

IF you find an AWD Tubrodiesel minivan --or can convince a car co. to make one-- I'd jump on that thing like a prom date.

How about an MDX, how they drive? Seem a bit bigger than the German SUV's. The Germans all seem a bit small on the inside considering the exterior dimensions.

Definitely not going Suburban/excursion route. I want some space, but not that much. Its about compromise here. Something that has more space without being ginormous and totally unwieldy.

I agree on the 5 series wagon being awesome and its likely eventually going to be the 2nd ride, but thinking we need 3 rows of seats for flexibility for now ruling it out as much as I would prefer to drive it...

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    No manual SUV's that I know of. I don't care about off-road performance and want something on the sportier end of the spectrum. Would prefer better gas mileage, but 0-60 in 9 sec's doesn't fly either. Don't mind buying used w/ 30k miles to keep pricing around $30kish.
    Probably not big enough for you but I was shopping X3s hard recently and they do come in a manual. Decent mileage and pretty quick for an suv. There was an 07 CPO manual w/25k at the local dealer for $26k.

Decided to bail on the sporty side and went with an 07 ML320 CDI. Love those diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by slobmonster View Post
    IF you find an AWD Tubrodiesel minivan --or can convince a car co. to make one-- I'd jump on that thing like a prom date.
    mitsubishi, not sure what model (L300?) but available in canadia, methinks

How about an MDX, how they drive? Seem a bit bigger than the German SUV's. The Germans all seem a bit small on the inside considering the exterior dimensions.

Definitely not going Suburban/excursion route. I want some space, but not that much. Its about compromise here. Something that has more space without being ginormous and totally unwieldy.

I agree on the 5 series wagon being awesome and its likely eventually going to be the 2nd ride, but thinking we need 3 rows of seats for flexibility for now ruling it out as much as I would prefer to drive it...
    IME, most SUV's have as much 'space' as a decent sized sedan. Seating is good but if you want to haul more than a couple suitcases worth of crap, you're looking at a roof/hitch rack. For example, my SIL has an MDX and I have a Sienna AWD. 7 people can fit in either vehicle (4 adults, 3 kids 9 - 11 age). With the MDX, we cannot go skiing. No enough room for outerwear, ski boots, skis, poles, etc. With the Sienna, we just make it for a 2-3 day trip. We can't even do a one-day in the MDX.

I don't worry too much about hauling ass. If you've got the kids in the car....the calculus on driving faster/more recklessly gets worse once you're factoring in 3 wee one's lives in your hands. At least it does for me. If you still want a fun car, keep the Audi and get a people/stuff hauler assuming your finances will allow.

If you need to haul more than a couple suitcases, think about a minivan. If you travel light, you can go with an SUV.

I've had a GMC Acadia for the past three winters and it has been a great family vehicle. Only options were sunroof and 2nd row captains chairs to keep the price down. Has more space behind the third row than anything in its class.

First "American" vehicle I have owned and have been impressed (coming from a Sienna, an Odyssy and various Subarus).

Would prefer better gas mileage, but 0-60 in 9 sec's doesn't fly either.
    Sienna AWD 0-60 is eight seconds. The 3.5 liter engine is smooth and powerful throughout the rpm range - 266 hp Lexus engine. Six speed automatic is nice. 16/21 mpg in the AWD. My dad regularly gets 28 mpg with his FWD Sienna which beats the EPA, but he speeds no more than three over

They drive surprisingly nice for what they are, firm but subtle ride.

I've only ever owned sticks and am a station wagon lover but if I 'accidentally' had three kids I'd throw in the towel and get the Sienna.

I like the suggestion someone else made. Get the van and keep your Audi. Big old SUV's aren't likely to feel any sportier than a Sienna anyway. You're going to spend a lot of money to avoid the van without really accomplishing much.

Or succumb to your god given right to drive manual transmissioned wagons and get the 530xi with a six speed, put a big box on it and deal with a row of kids in the back seat... those things are simply bad ass.

I'd get the van and keep a smaller wagon around because round these parts nobody gives two shits about what anybody drives and I'm afraid of euro maintenance.

the only difference between a soccer-mom van and a soccer-mom suv is that you can keep everything INSIDE the van

oh and you don't have to sit on the floor to get some head room
    holy fucking shitballs

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    I've had a GMC Acadia for the past three winters and it has been a great family vehicle. Only options were sunroof and 2nd row captains chairs to keep the price down. Has more space behind the third row than anything in its class.

First "American" vehicle I have owned and have been impressed (coming from a Sienna, an Odyssy and various Subarus).
    That was the first vehicle that came to mind. I assume it rides a bit mushy (yes/no?) and still tastes like buick to me, but still seams like a good comparative value.

A red 530 with black wheels is top of my wishlist to replace the wifes car.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Sienna AWD 0-60 is eight seconds. The 3.5 liter engine is smooth and powerful throughout the rpm range - 266 hp Lexus engine. Six speed automatic is nice. 16/21 mpg in the AWD. My dad regularly gets 28 mpg with his FWD Sienna which beats the EPA, but he speeds no more than three over

They drive surprisingly nice for what they are, firm but subtle ride.

I've only ever owned sticks and am a station wagon lover but if I 'accidentally' had three kids I'd throw in the towel and get the Sienna.

I like the suggestion someone else made. Get the van and keep your Audi. Big old SUV's aren't likely to feel any sportier than a Sienna anyway. You're going to spend a lot of money to avoid the van without really accomplishing much.

Or succumb to your god given right to drive manual transmissioned wagons and get the 530xi with a six speed, put a big box on it and deal with a row of kids in the back seat... those things are simply bad ass.

I'd get the van and keep a smaller wagon around because round these parts nobody gives two shits about what anybody drives and I'm afraid of euro maintenance.
    A Lexus engine?? C'mon..really. They are all TOYOTA engines...

For a minivan the Sienna is the best choice out there for sure. For an SUV, I think the GM Lamda series, Acadia, Outlook, ect are the best value for sure. I would suggest used on any of these due to their deprecation.
    Click. Point. Chute.