Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

So There Was this Oil Spill You See

and nobody said a word.
    Is there a thread somewhere??
    It is set to eclipse the Valdez in terms of environmental impact, and they don't seem to have a good way to stop it.
    In terms of environmental impact, how does this or Valdez, or the burning of oil wells in Iraq compare to a Chernobyl event?

there is a thread about it on newschoolers. Drill Baby Drill
    one of the posters claims to be a worker on the rig.
    pretty fucked up that they lit it on fire.
    Last edited by dynodonkeyaltabird; 04-30-2010 at 01:00 AM.
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

doughboyshredder Guest
    poly asshat obama loves drilling thread

"They say it will be bigger impact than the Valdez." "Claims to be a worker who knows about it . . . pretty fucked up . . ." "I was reading about this on newschoolerz." WTF? Says who? Some journalist in NYC who talked to a guy who wrote some notes after he talked to someone and posted it here? This is how you learn stuff and parse the news and make decisions on what you believe? Well, geez, we might have to turn off the MSNBC snark machine and let the facts work themselves out for a few days until we actually know what the fuck is going on so we can comment on it. In the meantime, it must have been someone's fault! Surely there's some evil right wing thing going on here! It's the Republicans fo' shizzle! Maybe the drug companies! Sarah Palin, no question (let's all snicker at the mention of her name without really considering what she ever has to do with anything, she just sounds all right-wingy and we can feel good about our left wing selves). Surely if we just switched overnight to windpower (we'll talk about those power lines and giant turbines and not being able to actually produce any reliable quantities of electricity, all those details, later). If we could all just be green, ya know (well, green, as in no oil and no coal, and we know nuclear is as green as it gets, but no, no nuclear, and, well, just green). Anyway, just generically, let's just talk about this oil spill thing like we know what we're talking about. Maybe we can work in a tea bagger reference and doughboy can work out a little of that anti-christian angst while we're at it! And failing that, we'll just claim this guys watches FOX News or listens to Glenn Hannity or Bill O'Limbaugh! That's the ticket! That's the critical thinking stuff!
    You have to let other people be right. It consoles them for not being anything else. -- Andre Gide

Quote Originally Posted by lingcod View Post
    "They say it will be bigger impact than the Valdez." "Claims to be a worker who knows about it . . . pretty fucked up . . ." "I was reading about this on newschoolerz." WTF? Says who? Some journalist in NYC who talked to a guy who wrote some notes after he talked to someone and posted it here? This is how you learn stuff and parse the news and make decisions on what you believe? Well, geez, we might have to turn off the MSNBC snark machine and let the facts work themselves out for a few days until we actually know what the fuck is going on so we can comment on it. In the meantime, it must have been someone's fault! Surely there's some evil right wing thing going on here! It's the Republicans fo' shizzle! Maybe the drug companies! Sarah Palin, no question (let's all snicker at the mention of her name without really considering what she ever has to do with anything, she just sounds all right-wingy and we can feel good about our left wing selves). Surely if we just switched overnight to windpower (we'll talk about those power lines and giant turbines and not being able to actually produce any reliable quantities of electricity, all those details, later). If we could all just be green, ya know (well, green, as in no oil and no coal, and we know nuclear is as green as it gets, but no, no nuclear, and, well, just green). Anyway, just generically, let's just talk about this oil spill thing like we know what we're talking about. Maybe we can work in a tea bagger reference and doughboy can work out a little of that anti-christian angst while we're at it! And failing that, we'll just claim this guys watches FOX News or listens to Glenn Hannity or Bill O'Limbaugh! That's the ticket! That's the critical thinking stuff!

Where's STFUYFM when you need him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

seriously, shut up mouth breather
    Talking shit about a pretty sunset.

one seriously butthurt stream of consciousness rant
    Let us know if you need your protest signs proofread.

Gobble gobble.... gobble, gobble, GOBBLE
    What was that?

Quote Originally Posted by dynodonkeyaltabird View Post
    pretty fucked up that they lit it on fire.
    I'm no oil well expert but from what I read about it, setting it on fire seemed to me like the best idea available for the short term, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah yesterday afternoon the slick was 30 miles offshore of some of our country's most important estuaries. It may have made landfall by now. That's a pretty sensitive ecosystem that doesn't just fix itself overnight, so I guess if they had to start burning it up to keep it out of the wetlands, that was the lesser of two evils.

more food for thought:

The spill may have been stopped days ago if an acoustic operated valve had been required/installed instead of BP sending robot submarines down to try and jack around with a traditional valve. They are not required/installed because they cost a half a million dollars (that's almost one percent, considering the rig cost 560 mil.). Brazil and Norway require the acoustic switch on any well in their waters.
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

The mississippi river delta wetlands are already on there way to complete destruction, the oil spill is just going to speed things up.

Here are a couple pictures from the scene if anyone is interested:

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Those first 2 pics look like something out of Avatar...

I've been an oil spill worker on and off since Valdez. Lighting spills on fire is a really good idea compared to leaving the oil in the water.

Interesting how quickly many of the gulf coast residents and politicians have changed their tune on drilling.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Those are some great pics, have any more?

Quote Originally Posted by sidewall View Post
    Those first 2 pics look like something out of Avatar...
    I was thinking Aliens, particularly the first pic.

If the oil is in the mangroves then there is pretty much no way to get it out and that area if toast for a long time. If anybody remembers why the Hurricane Katrina storm surge was so big, it was because the wetlands and estuaries in the delta were depleted. Bringing those back would've helped revive those defenses, but the oil could further screw that up.
    Folks in Florida are already saying that outrageous numbers of dead fish were washing up a couple of days ago. Replacing the economic contributions of the fishing industry is not going to be easy.
    This is really bad.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Someone needs to start the conspiracy theory thread, because they are starting to come out everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Those are some great pics, have any more?

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Amazing to see it just sink under the sea and the pics with the fire up inside the smoke are really detailed and amazing.

holy shit that thing is big.

oil companies have made their bed. ironically, we have the Bushies to thank for this disaster, as regulators backed off and relaxed rules for 8 years. I read yesterday that there is no remote shut off capability on that rigm whereas brazil, BRAZIL, has more stringent regs that require that switch.
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Someone needs to start the conspiracy theory thread, because they are starting to come out everywhere.
    It's a conspiracy against nature and it has the transparency of an oil slick.

Quote Originally Posted by skieurmalade View Post
    Don't be so dramatic....is a big shitty accident? Yes it is. Does it suck, yes it does, really bad. But a conspiracy against nature?

Unless you own no internal combustion engines and don't use or own anything that is made from plastic or any other petroleum products...you have no room to talk. You empower oil company's with your money...admit it.

Hopefully this will lead to some tighter regulations on safety valves...hopefully it doesn't cause a backlash against offshore drilling...especially the efforts along the Atlantic coast. We are not going to stop using oil anytime soon...we just need to work toward using less and making sure as much of what we do use is produced domestically as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by skieurmalade View Post
    quoted for teh realz.

Those pictures are frightening.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres