View Poll Results: So why do people like Heineken?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Actually like the skunky taste that only a trip across the Atlantic in a green bottle can create

22 28.21%
  • Think they are impressing people by drinking an import? (this is the image their marketing pushes)

36 46.15%
  • Haven't tasted enough other beers to know the difference

14 17.95%
  • Drink it 'cause Bourdain dones

6 7.69%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Heineken Drinkers

With all the talk of Hipsters and the inexplicably universal (amongst hipsters) love of PBR, I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed another case inexplicable love of a shitty beer.

Heineken, how the fuck do so many people like this beer? Everyone I see drinking it, tends to drink only it if they are going for beer. They tend to be slightly coorporate-ish d-bags, although Stella Artois has started to take over this demographic as well.

So whats up with the Heineken faithful? I don't just get it and FWIW, I consider myself a beer lover and would take a PBR over a Heineken any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    They tend to be slightly coorporate-ish d-bags, although Stella Artois has started to take over this demographic as well.

^^^^^^ Stella is totally the new Heineken. Equally as shitty IMO. It seems to be the "cool" beer for non-beer drinkers to drink. I don't get it either.

While I do think that Heineken is shitty beer, I'll drink it someone hands me one. That's pretty true for all shitty beer though.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    ^^^^^^ Stella is totally the new Heineken. Equally as shitty IMO. It seems to be the "cool" beer for non-beer drinkers to drink. I don't get it either.
    Amen. Add Yuengling to that list as well.

I like skunky beer. Great with a shot of whiskey.

Hugh Conway Guest
    boring overpriced industrial lager that's better than budweiser, corona or PBR < shrug >

if it's skunky find a new bar/liquor store/supermarket

Have to chime in....

I used to drink a lot of heineken. occassionally you get a skunky bottle; not that often. decent beer.

draft is better
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Beer sucks, all it makes you is fat.

I'm a gonna go with the marketing angle, and their cool "keg cans" and "draught keg"...

I think I'd take one over a Budweiser or BL, but prob. not PBR, MGD or Coors/CL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    and i thought we were friends.....

At least Yuengling makes more than one beer, so there are more varieties available and consequently the potential to attract more drinkers with differing tastes.

Granted it is somewhat of a trendy beer, but at least they make a few tasty brews. I, for the most part, enjoy the Yuengling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    boring overpriced industrial lager that's better than budweiser, corona or PBR < shrug >

if it's skunky find a new bar/liquor store/supermarket
    I hate it when I agree with Hugh.

So does he.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I think turning down a heineken when offered one at a bar or a friend's place makes you look like a bigger douche than buying one for yourself.

At the same time, I'd rather let a hobo pee in my mouth than buy a six'er of that shit.

Edit: I should have entitled the poll, why do most Heineken drinkers drink it.

I'm 100% sure that there is at least one H drinker for each reason I listed, as well as probably 35 other reasons.

I don't drink that much heinekin ,Whenever possible I drink local swill made by a couple of friends who started a craft brewery

They bottle in a 1 litre bottle with the rubber stopper and since you gotta drink it all when you open the bottle ... you always get a pretty good buzz

2$ depost so drink 4 of them and you can take the bottle back for a freebie

Quote Originally Posted by blowupthemoon View Post
    I think turning down any beer when offered one at a bar or a friend's place makes you look like a bigger douche than buying one for yourself.
    Fixed it for ya

Quote Originally Posted by blowupthemoon View Post
    I think turning down a heineken when offered one at a bar or a friend's place makes you look like a bigger douche than buying one for yourself.

At the same time, I'd rather let a hobo pee in my mouth than buy a six'er of that shit.
    never a problem ,if some one buys you a free beer even if its a dreaded "molsons" product ... drink it with yer eyes closed eh?

I pretty much only drink beer and about 90% of it is Heineken. Has been since my first trip to a'dam in '92. Like it kinda skunky. Like Grolsch, too, for the same reason.

:shrug:
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

At least Yuengling makes more than one beer, so there are more varieties available and consequently the potential to attract more drinkers with differing tastes.

Granted it is somewhat of a trendy beer, but at least they make a few tasty brews. I, for the most part, enjoy the Yuengling.
    Heineken makes waaaay more beers than Yuengling.

Heineken International owns a worldwide portfolio of over 170 beer brands, mainly pale lager, though some other beer styles are produced. The two largest brands are Heineken and Amstel; though the portfolio includes Cruzcampo, Affligem, Żywiec, Starobrno, Zagorka, and Birra Moretti.
    Woodsy - you have yet to listen to me on anything beer-related. I blame the Brits at your wedding...

Yuengling and Rolling Rock were the same grade (and price) of beer when I was a teenager. Along comes a marketing guy and says "you'll sell more than the LaTrobe guys if you charge 2x as much." So that's all they did. Nothing else changed.

While neither are my favorite, I do like them both. Living in the PNW, I nearly always go for a hoppy as possible IPA or Red, but those times I want something light, i usually go for one of those. When I do get an especially skunky one, I do ask myself why the fuck I'm drinking that piss.

However, neither of those beat the Dos Equis Amber

I also feel particularly special (like a corporate douche) when drinking out of the fancy stella glass.

Fixed it for ya
    I'm relatively certain it is within the bounds of propriety to turn down a Light beer. Additionally pretty sure that if said Light beer is a Coors product you're allowed to punch them in the neck.

Yeah but Yuengling is actually good IMHO...Heineken...BLOWS...
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

Heineken makes waaaay more beers than Yuengling.
    I should have said more beers branded as Yuengling, AFAIK there are only two Heinekens sold in the US, light and heavy.

Yuengling and Rolling Rock were the same grade (and price) of beer when I was a teenager. Along comes a marketing guy and says "you'll sell more than the LaTrobe guys if you charge 2x as much." So that's all they did. Nothing else changed.
    Distribution.

Yuengling wasn't available in my neck of the woods until 6 or 7 years ago despite being in a state that borders Pennsyltucky. Now it's everywhere.

It's still pretty cheap though, I'm not sure how much Rolling Rock costs these days (haven't bought that since college when it was hella cheap), Yuengling is typically around $6 for a sixer.

I'm relatively certain it is within the bounds of propriety to turn down a Light beer. Additionally pretty sure that if said Light beer is a Coors product you're allowed to punch them in the neck.
    Fully agreed, at least on the Coors part (I can tolerate a light beer on a hot summer day), I amend my original statement.

What type of punishment does a fruit flavored Mich Ultra warrant?