View Poll Results: So why do people like Heineken?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Actually like the skunky taste that only a trip across the Atlantic in a green bottle can create

22 28.21%
  • Think they are impressing people by drinking an import? (this is the image their marketing pushes)

36 46.15%
  • Haven't tasted enough other beers to know the difference

14 17.95%
  • Drink it 'cause Bourdain dones

6 7.69%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    http://food-travels.com/index.php?id...he=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=32&tx_ttnews[backPid]=32

the truth behind Budweiser

In Vancover it costs as much to buy a beer brewed in europe and shipped halfway round the world as it does to buy a premium beer brewed in the same city SO its possible to try whatevr they ship over

real czech budwiesr tastes much better than what gets brewed here

Dunno about down there but Budwiesr up here is considered ... redneck beer

The AB product called Budweiser was just named after the Czech stuff, no connection between the two at all that I am aware of.

Pretty sure it was created by a German American and named after the Czech beer.

Yeah, it's pretty much redneck/frat boy beer here too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimb View Post
    ...... all nostalgic about Mickeys Big Mouths....
    The one thing I found them really good for was they are easier to piss into when it's time to recycle your beer on a long road trip.

But that would imply that was drinking and driving and that would be patently untrue.

Carling Black Label is where it's at.
    When I was a kid I dumped a sixer off the back of my GPz wheelieng or some shit coming back from the grocery store. They slid down the highway a bit and had little pinholes in them so I had to shotgun all six right then or watch them dribble out their contents. That was an ugly night.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Although PBR is one of the best canned beers around, it's way too cool now.

I've switched to High Life almost exclusively. Try it out if you need a "quantity" beer.

Although PBR is one of the best canned beers around, it's way too cool now.
    I beg to differ:

"Verily, my folly has grown tall in the mountains." - Fredrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

^^Agreed^^ Old Chub as well.

Cans are actually a great medium to store beer in, actually better than a bottle as far as preservation goes.

Not sure why they have the ghetto reputation they do other than the fact that to drink out a glass>a bottle>a can. However if you are somewhere that you can have a bottle, you can have a glass which negates the can suckage. If you are somewhere you can't have a glass or a bottle, cans are your only option.

http://www.planbbrewing.com/beer

For me its good taste BUT more than just taste its supporting the local economy .

From the guys who brew the beer ,to the artist who designed the labels, to the contractors who built the store ,to the guy who cast the concrete counter top, to the guy who owns the only restaurant in town that can carry the stuff

these are all my people and I want them to be successful ...I could give a fcuk about molsons or heineken

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Not sure why they have the ghetto reputation
    Before the introduction of can liners beer in a can sucked. Alot of the micro's would probably go to cans but its tough to find the equipment at a good price and there can be technical difficulties. Sly Fox for instance had some trouble getting their line operational.

The rise of Yuengling had nothing to do with marketing, Yuengling itself was caught way off guard and for a year or so couldn't get any where close to meeting demand. Luckily a Strohs facility in Tampa shut down and they could finally produce the beer in significant quantities. Last I heard the still produce some in Pottsville and back in the day it definitely tasted different than the Tampa stuff.

Yuengling is for getting drunk on the cheap and eating pretzels which if you know anything about SEPA is how shit gets done.

I heard it went for as much as 70$ a case on the west coast, which is insane considering you could pick it up for 12$ at the Pottsville facility.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    I beg to differ:

that stuff destroyed me last night, so good. Canned beer has so many benefits its crazy, wished more people would do it.
    "...but I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road, my country is the caravan, my life the most unexpected of voyages".-Leo Africanus

Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    I beg to differ:

I have a 12er in my fridge, along with a 6er of these:

Good stuff.

The AB product called Budweiser was just named after the Czech stuff, no connection between the two at all that I am aware of.

Pretty sure it was created by a German American and named after the Czech beer.
    The name of the Czech town is "Ceske Budejovice", which was known in German as Budweis. The beer from Budweis, thus, is Budweiser (as beer from Pilsen (Plzn, in Czech) is Pilsner, etc).

The beer with that name is still sold as Budweiser in parts of Europe, known as Budvar in some other places(and many other places), but because of ongoing lawsuits with AB (now Inbev, I believe), the Czech brewery must market their product in the US as Czechvar.

The crazy thing is, the "real" Budweiser predates the AB Budweiser by a good bit. It's all about having good lawyers, I guess...

There was also a "Budweiser" beer brewed in Dubois, PA (known as "Dubois Bud") from the early 1900s until the '70s, when AB finally got them shut down after about 60 years of litigation. I only know this because it's still my father-in-law's favorite beer.

Yuengling... must be an acquired taste. I hate that sugary shit, although I drank gallon upon gallon of it when I went to school in Philly. The wheat-y flavor of Heineken is just as bad but at least you can pretend to be an '80s yuppie douche when you drink it, instead of a retard douche from Pottsville.

You mean it's finally OK to admit in public that PBR actually sucks?
    Living vicariously through myself.

Even better than Dales Pale Ale, IMO.

Cans are great for camping, hiking, etc., when glass is a pain in the ass.

Dales = body blow! body blow!

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    w/ all the new englandy types here I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned Haffenreffer's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private...malt_liquor%29

Da Green Moowunstahs
    I actually know the family that orginally brewed that shit and have taken the opportunity on a couple of occasions to ask them if they have repented for producing that rotten WMD of a brew. (sadly that assesment is the product of personal experience, a hundred years ago when they had little games under the caps too.)
    Last edited by Obstruction; 04-30-2010 at 08:23 AM.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Been on a pretty long running canned-micro kick lately, it might just not end, evar. Lots of the Oskar's stuff (Dales mostly), a good bit of the Ska Brewery (Blonde), and some from Maui Brewing (not Kona).

Fuck the glass - the bottle and the receptacle that is, drinking right from the can is just fine, restaurant or otherwise. Tastes great, less impact anyway. Only canned brew that I'll buy in cans and still pour to a glass is my beloved Guinness, which oh by the way I've also been drinking a lot of lately.

The PA/NE/CNY beer talk here has me smiling ruefully back on my days up there.
    The PNW beer talk has me smiling wistfully back on my days over there.
    The CO beer talk has me smiling, period.

Iceman is - as usual - right. I am getting fat.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Speaking of Genny Cream, how about 12 Horse? I used to enjoy that back in the day. Also Little Kings Cream Ale.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the people who drink Stella Artois do so because they think the name sounds classy.

As far as PBR, I challenge anyone to take a blind test of Pabst along with other comparably priced canned beers. I bet you cannot correctly identify which one is Pabst.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Speaking of Genny Cream, how about 12 Horse? I used to enjoy that back in the day. Also Little Kings Cream Ale.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the people who drink Stella Artois do so because they think the name sounds classy.

As far as PBR, I challenge anyone to take a blind test of Pabst along with other comparably priced canned beers. I bet you cannot correctly identify which one is Pabst.
    I'm calling bullshit on the PBR statement, it has a skunkiness and a little more body not found in other macro swill.

I'd like to see Stella against the PBR priced canned beers, I'm willing to bet it will blend in more than PBR

I got a 12er of PBR last night at Safeway for 6$. Had a $2 mail in rebate. A $2 mail in rebate- WTF? Anyway, first time I've had PBR in a while. I agree with Dumpy. It did have a little more body than the average macro. I like it.

But I also like Hienie. Basically I like beer period. Skunky, bitter, smooth, light, dark. It's all good. Sure, I prefer some beers over others, but to me arguing about beer is like arguing about which flavor of ice cream is best (this statement exludes any beer made with fruit or chocolate- which is not beer).

I'm calling bullshit on the PBR statement, it has a skunkiness and a little more body not found in other macro swill.
    The only way to know for sure is a blind taste test. Try it and let us know. Preferably have several people taste all the beers and write down notes on each one. If there's a consensus on which one is the PBR, and that consensus is actually correct, I'd be amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    The only way to know for sure is a blind taste test. Try it and let us know. Preferably have several people taste all the beers and write down notes on each one. If there's a consensus on which one is the PBR, and that consensus is actually correct, I'd be amazed.
    Maybe some people who don't drink a lot of beer couldn't do it, but I'm pretty sure I could pick out the Bud, High Life, Coors, PBR etc... While similar, they definitely have very different tastes to me. Tell you what, you buy a 12er of each and I'll come over and test them. Over and over and over.

Have you folks gone bonkers? Had your tastebuds surgically removed????

WTF is all this talk about Pabst being a good beer???? What Blue Ribbon did it get?? Was it rewarded by the first beer judge without tastebuds??

I've drank my far amount of PBR back in college...along with Rolling Rock and Genesee and Old Milwakee, Miller High Life (High life?????). All that stuff basically tasted like some sort of watered-down, recycled urine. Pisswater, basically. Good for getting you drunk (if you drink enough of it), but so is Maddog 20/20!!

In MY opinion, the only semi-decent canned/bottled cheap beer is Michelob, or Stroh's or maybe Bud...but only maybe.

Go up just a little bit more, and your talking Labatt's.

A little more than that and then it's Moosehead...or Amstel, Sam Adams, Killian's Red; Redhook ESB; Pyramid Ale.

If ya wanna spend some bucks or quickly get a buzz without drinking shit beer, but still go with an easy to find production beer: Guiness, Grolsch, St. Pauli Girl...etc.

But if you want to explore the breadth of what the beer and ale world has to offer, than go OUTSIDE the realm of the production beer houses. Microbrewies offer some of the BEST beers and ales out there. There is an endless variety of them. Too many to list, really. My fav microbrews are: Fat Tire Amber Ale, by New Belgian Brewing Co...colorado; Full Sail Ale; Silver City Breweries; Iron Horse Brewers. ALL good shit!!!

If ya can't GET any head, at least, for cripes sakes, drink a decent ale or lager that HAS a head!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Go up just a little bit more, and your talking Labatt's.
    Labatt is a sidestep at best.

Had a genny cream ale at a bar in denver last week...ah the memories....

My dad was a genny drinker
    Had an uncle who only drank utica club- kept his basement fridge fully stocked and had cases stacked next to it just in case
    Spent my formative years drinking Matt's beer balls...then we'd turn em into foghats and get real stupid....
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow