Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: spine protector

spine protector

A Friend says that there freestyle team it is required for kids to wear this back armor. Story goes that one child had a bad accident and this saved there ability to walk.

Anyone have any know any thing about these? I am thinking of putting my 5 year old in one every time he skiies. But Like a Brace I don't want it to become a dependency IE prohibiting Mussel strength because it’s always supported.
    "Hold my beer...Watch this!"

Morrison wears one. So does Sage. I think they both consider them essential pieces of equipment.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

just how big is your 5 year old sending it???

I wear one every day and had a crash a few years ago that I don't think I could have walked away from without it, but I don't think I'd have a 5 year old wear one either.

Depends on what he's skiing. If he really might fall and smash his back on a rock, or ragdoll into a tree, then at 5, he must be sending it hard.

I wear one too, and its saved my ability to walk at least once this past season. Smashed my back into a rock in a pretty big tumble. Ripped a hole in my jacket, but walked away.

However, I've never felt the need to wear one on the east coast...ever.

And additionally, I don't think spine protectors provide any sort of support. It just dulls sharp impacts and prevents you back from bending in directions its not supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by enzo3366 View Post
    And additionally, I don't think spine protectors provide any sort of support. It just dulls sharp impacts and prevents you back from bending in directions its not supposed to.
    So true, people think this will protect you from compressions, where you see most disc issues.
    I find it so funny watchin absolute clowns walking around in the restaurant with their jackets off and they spine protectors on. Then seeing them on the hill and they are in the advanced wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by enzo3366 View Post
    However, I've never felt the need to wear one on the east coast...ever.

Why not one on the east coast ??
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

A 5yo probably doesn't need a spine guard, unless he is sending the shit out of it???

I would think a helmet would cover it

HST-Whenever I have no backpack on I wear one.
    Hello darkness my old friend

5 years old about 130 days on snow scince he was 2. He skis tight trees with me. He crashed very hard and has broken goggles (2 pair), Ski boots and Poles. I have seen him tomohawk twice.

From what I am hearing, I am going to buy him a spine protector.

Although this is likely a very good discussion on a topic that has NEVER BEEN DISCUSSED HERE BEFORE, this is not the place for it.

Move it to Tech Talk, JONG-ASS-MOFO!!

Tek-Tok-Jong I don't believe we having met. And now you are protege?

Only way to settle this. We meet in the bamboo forest in Sichuan when moon is full. you know the place. You bring your posse. I bring mine. Only 5 homies each. No AK's. Tec-9's permissible.

Then we fight! TO THE DEATH!!!
    You've been warned....

Your both ass clowns.

My kid's ski team makes them manditory at age 12-13, optional before that. Some kids as young as 9 have em but the fit seems awkward and big for the size of the kid, I think It'd be difficult to find a spine protector small enough for a 5yr old. Maybe not.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by freezorburn View Post
    He crashed very hard and has broken goggles (2 pair), Ski boots and Poles. I have seen him tomohawk twice.

From what I am hearing, I am going to buy him a spine protector.
    From this description a medical insurance policy might be more appropriate...

As far as the back protectors go, my son has been wearing one for the last two seasons starting at 8 years old. Small size still fits him so it might be a bit much for 5 year old. No real downsides to the protector other than for kid having one more thing to deal with (put on, take off, adjust, etc).

i think they seem like a good idea and can save some injuries and a lot of pain, but i really doubt they are going to prevent spinal injuries.

(i always used one when racing SG/DH)
    Last edited by nick > jesus; 04-21-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Quote Originally Posted by Wong_Fowum_Jong View Post
    Tek-Tok-Jong I don't believe we having met. And now you are protege?

Only way to settle this. We meet in the bamboo forest in Sichuan when moon is full. you know the place. You bring your posse. I bring mine. Only 5 homies each. No AK's. Tec-9's permissible.

Then we fight! TO THE DEATH!!!
    Perhaps admirer better, but want to learning from you master.

Will meet with your request and come to the forest. If Tec-9's fly, assumed Uzi is ok too?

I've got one built into a 661 pressure suit, and I have some serious doubts about it's ability to stop the kind of hyperextension that would cause a typical fracture. As others have mentioned, they won't do anything for compression type injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    I've got one built into a 661 pressure suit, and I have some serious doubts about it's ability to stop the kind of hyperextension that would cause a typical fracture. As others have mentioned, they won't do anything for compression type injuries.
    ED-Zachary.

These things will help in the event of a direct impact to the spine but the vast majority of serious spinal injuries resulting in paralysis are the result of compression and/or hyperextention. Additionally, most of these are from cervical spine (neck) injuries. Back protectors do nothing for this, though moto'ers, football players, and a few freeskiers wear burly neck braces that integrate with their full face helmets to help prevent this.

All that said, it can't hurt and I wear one every day skiing at the Bird.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

yeah, i got one of the dainese ones a while back, wear it for mtbing mostly but ski with it too, as has been said, they really aren't very burly bits of gear, it is just a thin layer of plastic on some foam, but its better than nothing eh

I've worn one for about 8 years now. Probably saved me a ton of pain during a bad crash in a race. Also once when I was blindsided and slammed to the ground by another skier. And once when sitting on the snow and someone bumped into the back of me skis first. That said, I don't make my 15 year-old wear one but I do make him wear a helmet.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

I've got a Dainese lobster tail I wear when roadracing motorcycles. Are we talking about the same things here? I know they've saved my back once or twice at much higher speeds than any of us will ever see on skis.

yeah, the 661/whatever are probably all pretty similar to the lobstered Dainese one (though Dainese stuff is usually a little higher quality)

The thing about them though is that they don't really do much to check hyperextension of the spine. On a moto, the abrasion resistance/ cushioning would be really nice, especially since you are falling on a nice flat surface, albeit at a high rate of speed.

The things I don't see them being very good for are the skiing/ mtn biking/ dirtbiking type situations where you get pitched off into some sort of hard, skinny, immobile object like a rock or a tree. They will provide a little bit of impact protection, but if you're wrapping yourself around something, or you lawndart into something hard enough to cause a real hyperextension, kiss your vertebra good by, back protector, or no.

That said, I still wear mine in most activities (not skiing, unless I'm going big). Something's better than nothing imo.

i wear one when i am skiing something with bigger risks, or when i'm racing skiercross

In my van. Not down by the river, but in the ski area parking lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by freezorburn View Post
    A Friend says that there freestyle team it is required for kids to wear this back armor. Story goes that one child had a bad accident and this saved there ability to walk.

Anyone have any know any thing about these? I am thinking of putting my 5 year old in one every time he skiies. But Like a Brace I don't want it to become a dependency IE prohibiting Mussel strength because it’s always supported.
    POC makes a child size spine protector. Here's a link with the specs.

I wear a spine protector everyday I ski, and though it may not be the solution to all spine injuries, it is a damn good piece of protection to have for any day of aggressive skiing.
    Tats

"What do you call a ski bum who loses his girlfriend?"
    "Homeless."

backcountry.com
    christatsuno.com Give me a virtual high-five and click on my blog!

I know a teen who wears one ,I dunno if this has anything to do with it but his mother is a PT and his father ,uncle,grandfather are all MD's