Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
    I was under the impression that the trail known as the "Boy scout trail" is in reality the Scout trail, with no "boy" in the name. I remember reading a plaque a few years ago, and there might have been some mention of indian scouts or something. Can anyone confirm?
    I've heard both used and differing stories about the trail. One story was that the trail was a Boy Scout project and another was that it was an old trail used by Ute Indian scouts to access the top of lookout.

A former Boy Scout troop leader told me it was boy Scout trail when i was new to the area. Later when using that name another person corrected be telling me it was Scout Trail. The sign does say "Scout Trail".

FYI:
    some snowmass
    [ame="http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=628113"]FYI - Snowmass opening lift served terrain tomorrow - Mountain Bike Forums[/ame]

And some test footage from Snowmass

Last edited by grskier; 07-01-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I wish Gravity Logic were being brought in to build a flowy DHish track with some features instead of an A-line style trail. I've seen some A-line imitations at places like Sun Peaks and Keystone and frankly, they are just not A-line. The amount of work required to maintain a trail like A-line is ridiculous and something I don't think Snowmass is up to. I'd be down with a Silky Johnson type trail, but I think A-line style isn't what Snowmass needs right now. I hope I get proven wrong.

I guess the thinking is that if Gravity Logic doesn't build a jump trail, nobody at Snowmass has the experience/time to build one and it will never happen....

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    .... I'd be down with a Silky Johnson type trail, but I think A-line style isn't what Snowmass needs right now. I hope I get proven wrong.

I guess the thinking is that if Gravity Logic doesn't build a jump trail, nobody at Snowmass has the experience/time to build one and it will never happen....
    http://vodpod.com/watch/946139-trail-tour-silky-johnson

I would agree ^^^ that would be $$$$$

I think it'll be a learning process for the Snowmass folks... time will tell.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    http://vodpod.com/watch/946139-trail-tour-silky-johnson

I would agree ^^^ that would be $$$$$

I think it'll be a learning process for the Snowmass folks... time will tell.

A little update: It is true that we've been hired to design a top-to-bottom jump trail. We've flagged the rough alignment and are in the process of working with the USFS to help move things forward. I've compared the design to A-Line in other forums only in so much as that it will be a jump trail and a s**t load of fun. We've come a long way since building A-Line and our new designs (in terms of a blue jump trail) are a lot easier to maintain and accesible to a lot more people. Our three newest jump trails: One in Sugarloaf in New Bruswick one in Sweden, and one in northern BC are examples of our best work to date. The terrain that we plan to use in Snowmass is incredible and there is huge potential for an enormous variety of trails. With any luck, the success of the planned jump trail will show the powers-that-be that not one but a variety of well planned and well designed trails are the key to a successful bike park. We'd love to be involved in more, but we'll happily start with this one. FYI, the proposed trail is over 5km (3 miles) long, will be rated Blue but many of the tables, step-downs and step-ups will be able to have double take-offs to make the trail, in essence, be blue/black. The upper third is tight and twisty with lots of berms and small features, the middle third is wide open through an incredible aspen grove and will have more tables and doubles than you can count on your fingers and toes twice over, and the bottom third twists and turns through more aspens and meadows. This trail is going to flow. Yes, the learning curve at Snowmass will be quite steep, but you can't help but applaud them for having the courage to go back to school.

Rob
    Gravity Logic Inc

That's awesome. Anything a motivated local could do to make sure it keeps moving forward? Bring shovels, write congressmen, complain to lifties, sacrifice virgins, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    That's awesome. Anything a motivated local could do to make sure it keeps moving forward? Bring shovels, write congressmen, complain to lifties, sacrifice virgins, etc?
    Looking forward to it and I can also volunteer a couple days a week to help build....

Looking forward to it and I can also volunteer a couple days a week to help build....
    Let's make sure it gets through the powers that be first....

I'd be down to do a few days of work for sure!
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Anyone wanna ride 'mass on Saturday morning...

I want to get a few more shots up there... have an idea or two
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Going to Basalt Mt on Sat, but looking to ride Govt tomorrow....

Trail update.... the trail from Basalt Mountain to Red Table Rd is unrideable due to trees blocking the trail. Also, there are a few trees blocking the decent on Cattle Creek. Most of them are obvious, but there was one I slammed my front wheel into as my brakes locked up just in time to keep me from flying 20 feet down the trail!

Glad you are OK funken...

They opened the Elk Camp Chair to bikes as well, although it's just the work road back down that's opened to bikes. Makes for about 2700' vert or so. S'way to gov't to powerline to blake to lowline to the bus back up was the "run" of the day though.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I rode Basalt Mtn on Monday and besides having to contend with the downed trees I ran across a VERY large bear about a mile from the fire rd on Basalt Mtn Trail. Thankfully it saw me before I saw him and took off running about 30 yards ahead of me. Fun trail though, the descent into Cattle Creek is pretty awesome.

I rode Basalt Mtn on Monday and besides having to contend with the downed trees I ran across a VERY large bear about a mile from the fire rd on Basalt Mtn Trail. Thankfully it saw me before I saw him and took off running about 30 yards ahead of me. Fun trail though, the descent into Cattle Creek is pretty awesome.
    The descent would be awesome if the bushes/grasses were cut back and the trees were cleared.

Looked like there was some recent trail cleanup happening on the lowest portions, but they hadn't made it too far up. Def needs some chainsaw TLC back there. I had never ridden it before, but found it weird that it would go from perfectly buff to completely overgrown in a matter of a hundred yards. Sucks when you can't see any upcoming rocks/logs from grass overgrowing the sides.

Looked like there was some recent trail cleanup happening on the lowest portions, but they hadn't made it too far up. Def needs some chainsaw TLC back there. I had never ridden it before, but found it weird that it would go from perfectly buff to completely overgrown in a matter of a hundred yards. Sucks when you can't see any upcoming rocks/logs from grass overgrowing the sides.
    ... or where the trail is about to go.

Any of y'all know who made this video?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Finstah View Post
    Kinda like Sunnyside right now?
    Guess so... haven't ridden Sunnyside yet because I haven't heard any good reports. IMO the trails in the valley are in pretty poor shape. There are 3 or 4 corners on Iowa Shaft/Lollipop that need some berms or reinforcement. There are a couple stretches on Gov't that could benefit from some woodwork going over mud pits. Highline trail has lots of overgrown stretches and some blown out corners. Tom Blakes is awesome, but also has a lot of overgrown brush. Not really sure who actually does any work on these trails... I am going to volunteer for the Smuggler trail day, but I don't think that will involve any work on existing trails.

I think any concerned biker should carry one of these, or something similar. http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/...-2000-XL-Teeth I take mine with me when I moto and mtn bike. Keep the trails clean and stop riding around fallen logs. It is kind of rewarding and fun to clear fallen trees.

Guess so... haven't ridden Sunnyside yet because I haven't heard any good reports. IMO the trails in the valley are in pretty poor shape. There are 3 or 4 corners on Iowa Shaft/Lollipop that need some berms or reinforcement. There are a couple stretches on Gov't that could benefit from some woodwork going over mud pits. Highline trail has lots of overgrown stretches and some blown out corners. Tom Blakes is awesome, but also has a lot of overgrown brush. Not really sure who actually does any work on these trails... I am going to volunteer for the Smuggler trail day, but I don't think that will involve any work on existing trails.
    Right now I think it is just the RFOV that does most of the work and RFMBA just works with them (along with open space and the FS but those two groups are spread pretty thin.) I haven't been too active with RFMBA beyond the RFOV workdays so I'm partly to blame but it seems with all the mtn bikers in the valley they could organize their own work days and get really good turn outs. With just the RFOV doing most of the work days there is no way all the trails can get the attention they need.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Exclamation

If you have the time, volunteer next Saturday July 24th to build some new trail segments on Smuggler! http://www.rfov.org/smugglertrails_2010

Most of Sequel has been rebuilt... it's awesome... may have some footage by the end of today.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Most of Sequel has been rebuilt... it's awesome... may have some footage by the end of today.
    Yep, looking a lot better.

a poor edit.. using some of the older footage (^^^), plus some of sequel...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I rode the Iowa Shaft last Thursday and the forest service had about a half dozen dudes up there with chainsaws. I asked them if they were cutting out the beetle kill, and he told me sort of, but that they were removing any trees that were encroaching or presenting a danger to the trail. I've to say... they removed a SHIT LOAD of trees... looks like the logged stumpville of Kobey Park up Lenado.