8wt for Permit???

Headed back to work next week and want to bring some gear. There are lots of small fishies to catch with a chance at larger ones. There are PERMIT to be fished for as well. I have a 4pc 8wt sage vt-2 with a orvis mach 4 reel. Am I off my rocker try catching a permit with this gear. I have been reading a bit about permit but there seems to be some debate an 8 wt being too small????... or just beefy enough? Its an atoll in the Indian ocean I am headed to. Can't really say how big the Permit may be where I am headed.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

I'm not much of a seasoned permit guy, but I did just return from Belize and we fished nothing but 10 wts to permit. If for nothing else than throwing long distances with lots of wind, I think that's what you'll want. That fish can work you on an 8 wt as well. Had me into the backing in a matter of seconds...
    The Griz

but is it possible with my existing rig hoping they aren't monster fish over 30 pounds

2nd on the 10 weight. You *might* be able to get away with a 9, but an 8 will be folded and/or broke.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Having fished an Atoll or two I can tell you it can get expensive real quick if you are under matched. The fish will pull your fly line into the coral and it strips the coating off the fly line. This will be the fastest $50-60 you will spend with least satisfaction.

Indian ocean? are you sure they're not Trevally? If they are...bye bye flyline.

Indian Ocean? Like Hook, I'm thinking Trevally. If it is a Giant Trevally, a 10 weight or heavier is preferred. There are some smaller species of Trevally that you could get away with an 8, but they will still put you into the backing.

Unless you have some good intel, don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

Denny

SO far, everyone is right on. Bring an extra fly-line or two and a spool of backing.
    Easy to lose the whole rig on one fish!

Borrow a fat 10 with a disc drag reel, floru carbon leaders. You'll be stoked when something swallows and big popper and you set the hook hard.

Need both the lifting power and line weight to carry big wind resistant flies and poppers.

I've caught Big trevally on a 12 with a huge able bluewater reel and got near spooled. Bring surglcal tape for your stripping finger too.

Have fun!

-Here is a Christmas island Baby papio a few years back. Caught these guys on a popper and 10 weight rplx till my arm was sore!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bob papio006.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	77311  

From what I have seen of the fish Trevally looks to be right compared to the picture. I will not attempt with 8wt. Instead it makes sense to hold off till next tour when I have time to get a proper setup. Thank you gentlemen.

Just found this link with all the info I was looking for. http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/fishing.html. There are 4 31 Whalers and a few older Ocean Masters that leave the lagoon. 140 bucks for a half day trip with a max of 5 people in the boat. Flats fishing there may be my best bet with an 8 wt.

so I have a 10 weight......