Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Discovery Ski Area, MT really this gnar

Made me laugh

probably a repeat. But this is their web page decription of their backside.

For hardcore steeps, the backside is it. This north-facing area is true double black with treed slopes, narrow chutes and virtual free-falls that give way to fields of powder. You'll think you've dropped into a TETON GRAVITY RESEARCH film.

copy right issue? just funny to me
    Snow Flake Killer

From what I understand, it's legitimately pretty steep. Not that slapping those "ratings" on inbounds whatever doesn't sound durfy.

Just move along, nuthon to see here....
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

better be headwaters steep to put that on it.

it's got a slow skiing area!?

virtual freefalls=wii in said slow skiing area?

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    The blurb is funny, and was probably intended to be, but the terrain there is for real. There's only 1000 feet of vert on the Limelight though. The "slow skiing" area is right on top of the loading area, they just don't want people coming in hot.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

It's quite steep... Comparable to Crested Butte or Big Sky/MLB with less vert
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

My brother and I skied there the first year they opened the backside, circa 1994 or 1995? We had heard about it in the local Missoula paper while going to school. We drove over to check it out. It was like pulling up to any Vermont Mountain like Ascutney or something. We were questioning our move. However, dropping into the backside was semi mind blowing. It is steep and there are some cool lines. Talk about the soul of skiing. I love the little resorts that have sick terrain. The aspect is good and snow was always some version of pow when we rode there. The place is more legit than you would think. I hope to get back there someday.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

Haven't been back in a few years but I do love skiing that back bowl and was even raving about Discovery yesterday when asked about it's neighbor Maverick.

I skied there last month. I wouldn't call it gnarly or anything, but a legitimate 38-42ish degrees and a sustained fall line. Nicely spaced trees, it would rock on a storm say. And as TGR420 posted, very soulful!

i went to college nearby about 10 yrs ago. skied there a ton. the backside is sweet and steep in places. not a ton of vert though. when it goes off there (once a yr it seems) with a cycle of deep soft on soft it can be total money.

theyve got a TRIPLE BLACK DIAMOND. disco is sweet

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    heheh is that really in bounds though??
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthon View Post
    Made me laugh

probably a repeat. But this is their web page decription of their backside.

For hardcore steeps, the backside is it. This north-facing area is true double black with treed slopes, narrow chutes and virtual free-falls that give way to fields of powder. You'll think you've dropped into a TETON GRAVITY RESEARCH film.

copy right issue? just funny to me
    Laugh all u want, thats what the locals want. Everyone to think its a bunch of BS. Like others have said the back side doesnt have as much vert as major ski resorts, but this isnt a major ski resort. What it does have is some steep though. I'm on my third year of a season pass and discovery is what real skiers should love, steep and absolutely no crowds. On a very busy day (weekend only) you might have to wait a minute to get on a chair, a normal day means you ski up and get on, and thats on the easy side. I have never once had to wait to get on the chair in the back bowl. There are no merging lines, just one line with nobody in front of you. The back bowl doesn't even have any ropes or gates for a line.

Of course there are no high speed chairs, so you don't want to go here. They don't get 300 plus inches either, so stay away. This year was a really bad year for snow, like a lot of montana resorts. Last year I skiied after a good storm with 16 inches of fresh, I had to wait for a max of 2 chairs to get on. It was during the week so all the locals had to work apparently, and it was pretty funny then. There are no condos or hotels next to the slope. Cafeteria style lunch is all, no restaurants, and one small bar in the cafeteria.

Oh yeah, there is a season pass midnight special for $200, and a renewal for $229, not bad. I think there was a fairly decent skier who started skiing a discovery, Bryon Wilson i believe. You might have heard of him, bronze in the 2010 Olympic freestyle. Of course most of his training was at bridger, but he started at discovery.

So i say laugh all u want, and let locals enjoy this small hill with a lot to offer. But if you ever want a nice day of low vert, steeps with no lines, check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    it really is. we didn't ski it for some reason. probably scared

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Yes it is, but it's not labeled on the trail map.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

it's an awesome little hill. the backside is pretty legit and the lift take like 4 minutes to get back to the top. you can make some serious laps in a day. the only problem... look at the snow report. 125 inches on the year. ouch and the base is thousands of razor rocks waiting for your skis.

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post

i was poking around on the back side of disco a few years ago and found that triple black run. and i was like 'well shit, i've never seen one of those, better check it out'. it was late in the year, not a great snow year and not great conditions.

about two turns in i punched a ski tip through breakable crust and threw a shoe. flipped forward and onto my back, tumbling down the hill. just thinking about all the trees and rocks i had seen downhill, thinking about skiing alone (my wife and dad were running groomers) and if i got hurt no one would be by to find me any time soon, thinking about how i didnt have my pack on and i'd really like that if i were to hit a tree. bounced off a couple trees including one that left a rather massive hematomato on my thigh. thought i had broken my femur i hit that fkn tree so hard. didnt stop tumbling til i got almost all the way to the bottom.

then i had to post hole all the way back up the run to get my ski and ski back down.

on the bright side, the bar at disco opens early and they make a pretty decent irish coffee and tasty cookies that look like little baseballs. and when i got home i ordered a fox 40 rescue whistle i keep in my ski pants pocket.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

bottom line is that disco is fun, cheap, and old school. def worth your time and money.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

All the little Montana hills you've never heard of suck. Just keep driving to Big Sky or Jackson, shit, you'll be there by lunchtime.

Those cookies are awesome! Last time I had 5 at lunch - didn't feel too good skiing for the last couple of hours....but I can't turn em down when they come out hot.

Dude that place is so fun. I drove up there the first time so pissed, a friend drug me there instead of going to Bridger. He told me not to worry and took me to the backside which they had just opened, and since no one there skis pow typically , or at least when I was there it was fresh all day and super fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tank3467 View Post
    Laugh all u want, thats what the locals want. Everyone to think its a bunch of BS. Like others have said the back side doesnt have as much vert as major ski resorts, but this isnt a major ski resort. What it does have is some steep though. I'm on my third year of a season pass and discovery is what real skiers should love, steep and absolutely no crowds. On a very busy day (weekend only) you might have to wait a minute to get on a chair, a normal day means you ski up and get on, and thats on the easy side. I have never once had to wait to get on the chair in the back bowl. There are no merging lines, just one line with nobody in front of you. The back bowl doesn't even have any ropes or gates for a line.

Of course there are no high speed chairs, so you don't want to go here. They don't get 300 plus inches either, so stay away. This year was a really bad year for snow, like a lot of montana resorts. Last year I skiied after a good storm with 16 inches of fresh, I had to wait for a max of 2 chairs to get on. It was during the week so all the locals had to work apparently, and it was pretty funny then. There are no condos or hotels next to the slope. Cafeteria style lunch is all, no restaurants, and one small bar in the cafeteria.

Oh yeah, there is a season pass midnight special for $200, and a renewal for $229, not bad. I think there was a fairly decent skier who started skiing a discovery, Bryon Wilson i believe. You might have heard of him, bronze in the 2010 Olympic freestyle. Of course most of his training was at bridger, but he started at discovery.

So i say laugh all u want, and let locals enjoy this small hill with a lot to offer. But if you ever want a nice day of low vert, steeps with no lines, check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Yes it is, but it's not labeled on the trail map.
    Dude this place counds like a MO version of Magic Mountain... No crowds, minimal infastructure, insane-off-the-map-triple-D's, and chill vibe. Sounds like my kind of place!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Dude this place counds like a MO version of Magic Mountain... No crowds, minimal infastructure, insane-off-the-map-triple-D's, and chill vibe. Sounds like my kind of place!
    Except that its not in Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Except that its not in Missouri.
    it would be a lot cooler if it was!
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.