Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

MPC #48 Light & Shadow (April 10th - 24th)

This episode of the MPC will focus on the interplay between light & shadow in an image and how you, the shooter, utilize the relationship to transform the scene you capture. Your interpretation can range from the extreme of a silhouette to the subtlety of the texture of untracked snow.

Light is light so the source is not important here, use what ya got and if there isn't any bring your own. Sun, lamp, headlight, candle, strobe...all of them do the same thing. The idea is to focus on how each effects the image you are creating and to capitalize on the nuances that manipulating them has on the final output.

This is not a contest to see who can move sliders in Photoshop or Lightroom, my decisions will weigh heavily on what was done in the camera. Composition, exposure and the way the theme plays out in the image will guide my selections...unless I get really drunk and then all bets are off. PBR Tallboys are acceptable bribes. Just sayin...

EX:

RULES:
    1. Photos must be taken within the time period of the contest.
    2. You may submit 3 photos during the competition.
    3. The contest moderator will choose 5 photos to be voted on.
    4. The winner will get a happy feeling in his/her pants. (That is a rule by the way, not an option.)
    5. In the event of a tie, the contest moderator will have the deciding vote.
    6. Winner will be the contest starter/moderator for the next comp.
    7. The winner has 3 days to start a new contest or 2nd place becomes the new winner.

Past Themes
    MPC #47 Timing
    MPC #46 Coffee & Beer
    MPC #45 Community
    MPC #44 Potential
    MPC #43 Solitude
    MPC #42 Holidays
    MPC #41 Ominous
    MPC #40 Imbalance
    MPC #39 Transition
    MPC #38 Unsightly
    MPC #37 Self Portrait
    MPC #36 Music
    MPC #35 Summer
    MPC #34 Passion
    MPC #33 Home
    MPC #32 Electricity
    MPC #31 Bridges
    MPC #30 Old & New
    MPC #29 BW
    MPC #28 Winter
    MPC #27 HDR
    MPC #26 Shadows
    MPC #25 Circles
    MPC #24 Bars
    MPC #23 People
    MPC #22 Architecture
    MPC #21 Wild Beasts
    MPC #20 Water
    MPC #19 Bulb
    MPC #18 Celebration
    MPC #17 Sunrise & Sunset
    MPC #16 Out of Place
    MPC #15 Altered
    MPC #14 Angles
    MPC #13 Pain & Suffering
    MPC #12 Unusual Perspective
    MPC #11 Depth
    MPC #10 Contrast
    MPC #9 Festive
    MPC #8 Reflection
    MPC #7 Leading Lines
    MPC #6 Minimal
    MPC #5 Abandoned
    MPC #4 Perspective
    MPC #3 Airborne
    MPC #2 Straylight
    MPC #1 Motion

Haha, maybe I should have waited two days to shoot these:

Oh well.

Shot today at RMR. Do I get bonus points for having my own tracks in the shot?
    #1:

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    There are good men out there. Good men who are good looking, who ski hard, have their shit in order, know their priorities in life and will make you happy. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

#1:

Last edited by Southeast Maggot; 04-12-2010 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Now with less scrolling!

Jesus...I can hardly see it. Do you have it in a bigger size?

I see your topic and I like it. Here's #1:

Hail Ullr

FYI: Just because your photos have "light & shadow" in them doesn't mean they're good choices to enter in a contest. They also need to have correct exposure, focus, and a composition that works. I will not have any problem choosing less than 5 images if there aren't 5 images that I think are worthy. Don't just puke images into this thread. If you're not sure about an image post it somewhere else in this forum and get some help on it prior to entering the MPC. I'm thinking a crit on each image submitted might happen as well.

You do realize that you only won the "timing" contest because your shot was of a few hot girls, right? What does that have to do with timing?

Lighten up dude.

not eligible, but still a very cool photo. zero post processing. Photo taken by Tim Silverwood, boarder Michael Nixon.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    You do realize that you only won the "timing" contest because your shot was of a few hot girls, right? What does that have to do with timing?

Lighten up dude.
    A bit bitter are ya? I mean you do realize that I only entered that image because it was a fun pic don't ya? Do you really think I bust out my A material or go out and shoot with the theme in mind to win an MPC? All I want to do is turn this into something people can learn from. You guys should be getting crits from each other and then critted on your crits. It's how we learn. You don't get much from entering an image and then simply winning or losing. What does 16 votes mean?

I know that when I was getting started I was all over the early contests on Dgrin.com and the +/- feedback was critical to learning why my images worked or sucked. We all shoot tons of crappy images. The key is to learn to identify them on our own so we can not share them with the world. For example...I shot 3600 pics (granted much of that is at 10fps) at Cold Rush which have been edited down to 42. No shortage of crap there. I run my images by as many people with more talent than I have as I can. I'm constantly asking for crits.

mc roon...that scene is very cool but the image is several stops under exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    A bit bitter are ya? I mean you do realize that I only entered that image because it was a fun pic don't ya? Do you really think I bust out my A material or go out and shoot with the theme in mind to win an MPC? All I want to do is turn this into something people can learn from. You guys should be getting crits from each other and then critted on your crits. It's how we learn. You don't get much from entering an image and then simply winning or losing. What does 16 votes mean?
    I see where you're coming from truth, but this for a lot of us is just for shits and giggles. As much as I'd love constructive criticism, try to keep it good hearted. We're not here to win awards.

I will not have any problem choosing less than 5 images if there aren't 5 images that I think are worthy. Don't just puke images into this thread. If you're not sure about an image post it somewhere else in this forum and get some help on it prior to entering the MPC.
    If you're sure about an image, post it somewhere else? What exactly are we winning in this MPC? A bunch of amateur photographers just having fun. So what if there's some mediocre pictures...

If you want to help us out; awesome, I'd be stoked. Some of your shots are great and I'd love nothing more than to become a better photographer. If you want to limit what a bunch of guys are posting on the internet and throw in some 'must do' rules into the MPC... that's just lame. No offence.

mc roon...that scene is very cool but the image is several stops under exposed.
    believe it or not, i am actually aware of that...

its just a cool looking shot that looks more like the moon then mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by KaLiStO View Post
    If you want to help us out; awesome, I'd be stoked. Some of your shots are great and I'd love nothing more than to become a better photographer. If you want to limit what a bunch of guys are posting on the internet and throw in some 'must do' rules into the MPC... that's just lame. No offence.
    Def looking to keep it positive and not trying to limit anything. Just hoping we can foster a more informative dialogue than what has been the case. If you're gonna enter a contest you should expect to be judged. For some reason I keep thinking that the whole point of these MPC / MPPC things is to learn. Without crits there is no learning. I am in no way the end all be all authority on anything, but I think I have something to offer here. Like I said, I learned this on my own just like most of you guys are and crits / contests def played a role. Since this MPC is mine so to speak, let's give it a shot and see how it plays out eh?

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    believe it or not, i am actually aware of that...

its just a cool looking shot that looks more like the moon then mountain.

For me the exposure issue kills it. I might have given it a glance but the technical flaws prevent it from resonating. The big black blob on top is really odd as well. Whoever processed the pic got crazy with their levels to bring out the tracks in the snow as black and it just doesn't work.

"light and shadow???"

Boy that took some thought
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

For me the exposure issue kills it. I might have given it a glance but the technical flaws prevent it from resonating. The big black blob on top is really odd as well. Whoever processed the pic got crazy with their levels to bring out the tracks in the snow as black and it just doesn't work.
    "Zero post-processing"

Not eligible - from last summer

Afternoon summer sun coming through the window and mini blinds into a hallway in the building where I work.

Beat it up Truth - curious to hear your feedback. I've always liked the shot - subject is a bit questionable but I like the light and shadows on the various wall textures.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    "light and shadow???"

Boy that took some thought
    It was a theme I enjoyed over at Fred Miranda back in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    "Zero post-processing"
    You can believe what you want.

If you're gonna enter a contest you should expect to be judged.
    I mean you do realize that I only entered that image because it was a fun pic don't ya?
    wtf man. if you're allowed to throw your 'fun pics' into contests, why the hell can't any old joker on here puke his/her favorite 3 images into the thread? If you don't like them, don't pick them. if you want to crit them, crit them. if you want to only pick 3 for the voting, then you're doing it wrong, but since you won, you can do that.

but most of all, smmokan is way right, just lighten up. a lot.

mcroon, that shot is cool.
    Hail Ullr

Less talk, more photos. Lets keep it fun guys.
    I'll play:

Quote Originally Posted by BeefBastard View Post
    Less talk, more photos. Lets keep it fun guys.
    I agree. Low win to butthurt ratio here. Hoping that changes.

I like truth's objective of trying to raise the playing field here, but as with everything in life it's all about timing and delivery....

Edit: I'll make my prediction now that the winner of the MPC will be a B&W shot....
    Last edited by Lonnie; 04-12-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

Edit: I'll make my prediction now that the winner of the MPC will be a B&W shot....
    I'm thinking it will involve selective desaturation.

Quote Originally Posted by gholman12 View Post
    wtf man. if you're allowed to throw your 'fun pics' into contests, why the hell can't any old joker on here puke his/her favorite 3 images into the thread?
    So now there's an issue with me posting examples? Jesus you're a whiny cunt.

Jimmy = lol

So now there's an issue with me posting examples? Jesus you're a whiny cunt.

Jimmy = lol
    I think it's a fair statement...

Cunting up the thread with pictures is still cunting up the thread with pictures, be them good, or bad.