Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    So now there's an issue with me posting examples? Jesus you're a whiny cunt.

Jimmy = lol
    First of all, YOU need to lay off the profanity dude. Calling someone a whiny cunt is just stupid, especially when you're wrong.

The quote I pulled from your high and mighty ass is clearly referring to your lousy booby pic from the last mpc (not your examples in this one), which you refer to as just being a fun shot, not something that you think has actual photographic merits, which I agree with, it doesn't.

But then you rag on others for posting their fun shots, which, just like yours from the last mpc, may not have much photographic merit.

You are brutally inconsistent, sir, and yet somehow you feel quite superior to all of us.
    Last edited by gholman12; 04-13-2010 at 10:22 AM.
    Hail Ullr

I will say this, you guys can take it how you want. Of all the MPC's I've seen, Truth is the only person that has added some "inspirational" or thought provoking pics in with the start of the thread. I must admit, I am creatively thinking about a MPC for the first time in a long time and I don't think that is a bad thing.

And while I don't want to speak for him, I think Chad's other point is most of the time these things aren't won by some random pic put up in the MPC. They are won by the folks that spend a little time thinking about the theme and composition of the shot. More often than not in these things, when I see the winning shot, I say to myself, "we have a winner" (and I haven't seen that shot in this MPC yet).

I see Truth as someone who is idealistic in their vision of photography. Not only does he want a compelling subject, but he also wants the little things done right in the photograph as well. That includes focus and exposure (are those little things??) Is that really too much to ask? Too many of us fall into the trap of saying, "Oh the <insert fuck up here> is a little off, I'll just fix it in post". To me, that's really just lazyness, but in the end, it always takes MORE work to finish it in post production so is it worth it?

If you guys can't see that Chad is just trying to make all of us better by having us put a little forethought into our pics, than we will never get any better. When we have to look at someone elses and our own pics critically, then you will start to see what truth is saying...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

I'll agree completely Lonnie, guess I have a slightly different perspective on the matter because I can just go to my thesis critiques to get my photos torn to shreds, and I don't view MPC's as a place where I'm going to get crit'd/improve much, more of a fun way to get members involved and see some cool shots from a pile of amateurs (myself very much included).

But you're being level headed and rational, Truth is being a bit of a hypocrite. THAT is my issue here.
    Last edited by gholman12; 04-13-2010 at 10:24 AM.
    Hail Ullr

Quote Originally Posted by gholman12 View Post
    The quote I pulled from your high and mighty ass is clearly referring to your lousy booby pic from the last mpc (not your examples in this one), which you refer to as just being a fun shot, not something that you think has actual photographic merits, which I agree with, it doesn't.

But then you rag on others for posting their fun shots, which, just like yours from the last mpc, may not have much photographic merit.

You are brutally inconsistent, sir, and yet somehow you feel quite superior to all of us.
    Quoted for Truth. (Pun intended.) Mostly just wanted to point out the inconsistent part, a little hypocritical I must say.

This is not to say that people should throw up crappy images. It is very hard to learn not to fall in love with all of your own images. In these contests, I believe people should really try their best to produce quality photographs. I will agree with Truth that mc_roon's shot of the snowboarder, while fun to look at, is not a solid technical photograph.

I guess I am more of a "straight" photographer, trying to convey a scene that is most accurate to the scene I see before I look through the lens.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Def looking to keep it positive and not trying to limit anything. Just hoping we can foster a more informative dialogue than what has been the case. If you're gonna enter a contest you should expect to be judged. For some reason I keep thinking that the whole point of these MPC / MPPC things is to learn. Without crits there is no learning. I am in no way the end all be all authority on anything, but I think I have something to offer here. Like I said, I learned this on my own just like most of you guys are and crits / contests def played a role. Since this MPC is mine so to speak, let's give it a shot and see how it plays out eh?
    I agree, even though I don't enter the MPC all that often. I think giving it a shot is worth a try as long as people can keep the dialogue positive and not get all pissed off when someone doesn't like what they have done. It's just one person's opinion, anyway...

We may be just a bunch of amateurs (well, most of us, anyway - I certainly am) and the MPC is a fun contest to get people involved and out shooting, but I see no reason why it couldn't help us improve, too.

As far as positivity goes, though, this thread is sinking fast............

Quote Originally Posted by RedWolf View Post
    this thread is sinking fast............
    Or rallying, depending on your perspective...

I'm an amateur and know that my pic isn't pro quality. But I snapped it and I was surprised with how much I liked it. If Truth or anyone has friendly feedback on how I could make it better, I'm eager to hear it. But to say it eats dog shit and then turn me around to get a good swift kick at my nuts will not help me as much as it will help the bully.

Hand Held.

Quote Originally Posted by gholman12 View Post
    First of all, YOU need to lay off the profanity dude. Calling someone a whiny cunt is just stupid, especially when you're wrong.

Go back and read my entry of the shot ski pic into the MPC...it was a playful entry from the get. Do you really think I put forth my best work for the MPC? Pretty sure I've got Sean Pettit on a massive face sending a 90 footer backlit with a full length contrail that would have worked. Maybe I'll get lucky and you'll see it next fall somewhere. The "fun" shot here actually made the final selection of over at FM.com back in 2007. Follow the link.

I don't feel superior to all of you but I know more than some of you when it comes to shooting a camera. Everyhting I've learned has been in the past 4 years and much of it online. All I'm trying to do is create a scenario for me to pay some of that back. I can be a bit gruff, terse, crude and rude at times but it's the fucking interwebz. Suck it up cupcake.

Pretty sure I've got Sean Pettit on a massive face sending a 90 footer backlit with a full length contrail that would have worked.
    I don't believe you. Prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I don't believe you. Prove it.

As soon as I get rejected from Oakley, K2 and all the mags I will. Sucks when the best image you shot all winter is of a guy that's spent the entire season shooting with Blake Jorgenson and seemingly unlimited heli time.

Not a bad "problem" to have
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Everything I've learned has been in the past 4 years and much of it online. All I'm trying to do is create a scenario for me to pay some of that back.
    I posted a few unmemorable shots in a couple of the early MPC, but I got out of it for exactly this reason: if there isn't critique, then we aren't really getting anything out of this*, and therefore whats the point?

*unless "best photo in the TGR mpc" is a resume worthy accolade now days

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    I posted a few unmemorable shots in a couple of the early MPC, but I got out of it for exactly this reason: if there isn't critique, then we aren't really getting anything out of this*, and therefore whats the point?

*unless "best photo in the TGR mpc" is a resume worthy accolade now days
    You're doing it wrong. As TGR draws visitors from all corners of the world, you should note that you won a "peer-judged international photo competition"

All I know is that with my recent purchase of a 7D, I feel like a golfer with all the best gear who shoots 100 every round. I have very limited photographic knowledge and I want to and am trying to get better. I'd rather post some pictures that I think look good and have someone tear me a new one AND offer suggestions rather than get showered with praise for a crappy shot. But thats just me.

Oh and if I ever win a MPC, its definitely going on my resume.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    You're doing it wrong. As TGR draws visitors from all corners of the world, you should note that you won a "peer-judged international photo competition"
    I clearly still have much to learn.... and win

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Jong Fuey View Post
    All I know is that with my recent purchase of a 7D, I feel like a golfer with all the best gear who shoots 100 every round. I have very limited photographic knowledge and I want to and am trying to get better. I'd rather post some pictures that I think look good and have someone tear me a new one AND offer suggestions rather than get showered with praise for a crappy shot. But thats just me.

Oh and if I ever win a MPC, its definitely going on my resume.
    How about just "offer suggestions"?

I already got 'making to MPC finals' on my resume...

#1 Firelit

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I will say this, you guys can take it how you want. Of all the MPC's I've seen, Truth is the only person that has added some "inspirational" or thought provoking pics in with the start of the thread. I must admit, I am creatively thinking about a MPC for the first time in a long time and I don't think that is a bad thing.

And while I don't want to speak for him, I think Chad's other point is most of the time these things aren't won by some random pic put up in the MPC. They are won by the folks that spend a little time thinking about the theme and composition of the shot. More often than not in these things, when I see the winning shot, I say to myself, "we have a winner" (and I haven't seen that shot in this MPC yet).

I see Truth as someone who is idealistic in their vision of photography. Not only does he want a compelling subject, but he also wants the little things done right in the photograph as well. That includes focus and exposure (are those little things??) Is that really too much to ask? Too many of us fall into the trap of saying, "Oh the <insert fuck up here> is a little off, I'll just fix it in post". To me, that's really just lazyness, but in the end, it always takes MORE work to finish it in post production so is it worth it?

If you guys can't see that Chad is just trying to make all of us better by having us put a little forethought into our pics, than we will never get any better. When we have to look at someone elses and our own pics critically, then you will start to see what truth is saying...
    Haven't posted here in awhile but I've been lurking as usual and I figured I'd join the conversation to say I agree with this.

The MPCs are of course for fun, it's not as though anyone is winning anything other than a chance to start their own contest, but it doesn't mean we can't learn a bit through them as well. And if that means some of the more photo-educated members are offering their (occasionally harsh) critiques, so be it. I don't know about anyone else, but aside from enjoyment I also browse this forum to learn about photography and direct critiques of my images are the best way to accomplish this.

But then again: I love photography and I've invested a lot of time and money into it, but in the end it's not my career and not what I'm going to school for. So if you critique my photos I'm not about to get all butthurt because they're my life's work, but instead I'll try to learn from what's been said.

Fuel for the fire..
    "Some folks look for answers
    Others look for fights
    Some folks up in treetops
    Just look to see the sights"

Ironically the same night I wrote that I read the following which I will paraphrase, "Good photography seldom happens by accident..." I think this is very true. Sometimes we might get lucky, but most of the time, planning and thinking win the day....

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Where was that about a month ago?!

You always have great stuff man. Nice shot. Like the composition

and yes truth, I might have blown a highlight or 3 and the DOF is shallow on purpose! :P