Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What resorts DON'T get immediately tracked out on pow days?

Mammoth is my hill - and the locals are always complaining about how all of Los Angeles tracks it out 20 minutes after opening on a pow day. Is it like this everywhere? We do have June, which is a little better.

Are there resorts where you get fresh lines all day in-bounds? I thought all-day pow was only for AT skinners and for those who can afford heli and cat skiing.

I'm wondering about the Utah and Colorado resorts - I wouldn't mind storm chasing if it means a full day of powder love.

To me it seems the resorts with the best terrain get tracked out the fastest. I will sometimes head to a little tiny resort in my part of the world because certain parts don't get tracked out right away. I have had first tracks on a run a week after a storm just because it is a little hidden away. It's a nice place to make mellow hippie tree turns, but don't expect any hucks or steeps.

I don't think you will get an honest answer from anyone that skis one of these mountains as giving away the secret will ruin the secret. Smaller areas in the rockies far from airports usually fit the bill
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

sounds like the mammoth 'locals' you're listening to need to sharpen their game a bit. almost all resorts have inbounds hike to terrain and secret stashes that are accessed once the low hanging fruit is gone.
    both the pics below were 2-3 days after a recent storm at Kirkwood. They are out of bounds, but are simply a traverse away with no skinning or hiking. There is much more within a short bootpack and even more with skins.

and there is Silverton, but you have to work for it there too.

try the back lot at walmart. sorry. for real this is one of the prime reasons to become a true disciple of the flake. when one becomes a true devotee of the ride the lords of powder open secret realms of untracked. by riding everyday one learns the secrets of the mountains and develops the stamina to suck the marrow from the mountains powdery bones. then, as on march 26, 31, april 1 and 2 at the bird, one may find themselves in the midst of truly great powder storms with no one on the mountain. on those days i skied untracked all day - until i stopped for the day because i was beat - not because i was tired of skiing chowder. conditions were arctic, visibility was poor but the pow was light n dry. those days were added to the lifetime sweet pages of my mind. but they are gone never to return. i can only continue my faithful devotions tirelessly, repaying in some small measure the boundless ecstasy the mountains have given me. have you ever noticed the way some ski the virgin face with awe and respect while others fuck her like a state street ho? one turn made in love is worth one thousand made in lust.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    sounds like the mammoth 'locals' you're listening to need to sharpen their game a bit. almost all resorts have inbounds hike to terrain and secret stashes that are accessed once the low hanging fruit is gone.
    Except you can see all the areas you have to work for that are considered "in" the resort from most anywhere in town. Well either that or they lead down to the San Joaquin drainage, to which there are former olympic hockey athletes who will testify that it sucks to get stuck back there.

http://www.traditionalmountaineering...nowboarder.htm

The concept of a lift-accessed mountain logically negates the idea that a ski area exists where tracked out pow exists for days on end, except possibly in Silverton or Eastern European areas. Although I have heard that the Japanese don't like riding on days when it's snowing, and they avoid riding in the trees due to superstition so there's always that option.
    Every book is a children's book if the kid can read it.

Thanks for the replies. I have more learning to do to find the secret stashes. And chasing resorts far from airports sounds like fun actually.

And slaag - no words. You're awesome!

Gonna take up skinning this year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by You Gooch! View Post
    Except you can see all the areas you have to work for that are considered "in" the resort from most anywhere in town. Well either that or they lead down to the San Joaquin drainage, to which there are former olympic hockey athletes who will testify that it sucks to get stuck back there.
    my point is that the 'locals' (according to the op) are complaining that the tourists from LA are tracking out everything. If that's the case those 'locals' are doing it wrong.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Most of the resorts on Hokkaido, Japan.

Including Niseko, before 20 December and after 20 February.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaag Master View Post
    try the back lot at walmart. sorry. for real this is one of the prime reasons to become a true disciple of the flake. when one becomes a true devotee of the ride the lords of powder open secret realms of untracked. by riding everyday one learns the secrets of the mountains and develops the stamina to suck the marrow from the mountains powdery bones. then, as on march 26, 31, april 1 and 2 at the bird, one may find themselves in the midst of truly great powder storms with no one on the mountain. on those days i skied untracked all day - until i stopped for the day because i was beat - not because i was tired of skiing chowder. conditions were arctic, visibility was poor but the pow was light n dry. those days were added to the lifetime sweet pages of my mind. but they are gone never to return. i can only continue my faithful devotions tirelessly, repaying in some small measure the boundless ecstasy the mountains have given me. have you ever noticed the way some ski the virgin face with awe and respect while others fuck her like a state street ho? one turn made in love is worth one thousand made in lust.
    That was beautiful, man.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Any place that has a lot of trees....
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

Well, I've been called a moron from someone on a ski lift here in the mid Atlantic when they saw me go off the groomer and into the trees this winter.
    www.skiwisp.com
    Home sweet home.

Mt. Snow, duh.

Now shhh.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Club Med
    any golf course

SHIT SHOW

ALTA

rog

Big Sky/MLB, Discovery, Kicking Horse, and many others... I know that isn't Colorado or Utah, but whatever
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

Not Colorado. The whole state is tracked out in under an hour. Remember Colorado sucks.

I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about.

Alta/Snowbird its still like the 60s up there, dont tell anyone else though

Powder King.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Powder Mountain.

Granlibakken in Tahoe
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinGuitar08 View Post
    Well, I've been called a moron from someone on a ski lift here in the mid Atlantic when they saw me go off the groomer and into the trees this winter.
    Prophets are never appreciated at home.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLionfish View Post
    Big Sky/MLB, Discovery, Kicking Horse, and many others... I know that isn't Colorado or Utah, but whatever
    All those places you mentioned suck. They have no steeps, well, not like CO or UT . It never snows there and when hell freezes over this is what it looks like. Calisnow would never want to go to these places.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Powder King.
    FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaag Master View Post
    What have you been smoking and where can I get some?

Oh yeah, in answer to OP,

BC or BC.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Its funny that lots of people from LA consider themselves "local".

Bronco at BB.