Thread: 10 days in LA

10 days in LA

While my friends are working, where are decent spots to check out? I'm a beginner surfer, comfortable in the water, but I know I know just enough to still get me in trouble. Since everybody has to start somewhere, I'm all for getting out, watching a line-up for a while and paddling out. I won't have a board or my own car, so I am going to try to stay on the closer to LA area, and rent a board.

Any suggestions, either must-hits or don't get in the water here?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Malibu. Summertime, a good swell, it doesn't get any better or uncrowded in southern california. You can almost see Gidget on the shore.

I suggest County Line. It can be fun on a weekday, and I can't quite taste the turds in the water, but I can smell them.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Florida is a great place I heard

Hermosa or Redondo are pretty chill. When I was there we rented boards for a few hours and they didn't even charge us. The waves were pretty chill and so were the surfers. It's kinda touristy but if you are a tourist then it is what it is. You can rent a beach cruiser and ride from beach to beach too.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Hermosa or Redondo are pretty chill. When I was there we rented boards for a few hours and they didn't even charge us. The waves were pretty chill and so were the surfers. It's kinda touristy but if you are a tourist then it is what it is. You can rent a beach cruiser and ride from beach to beach too.
    There is a nice break just North of Manhattan Beach/El Porto. It can be pretty good some days.

This site is annoying with ads and load times but may save you some driving time, and as we all know time is money. And it is easy to blow lots of time in the car in LA.
    http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/...lifornia_4900/

Not sure how young, attached, or what gender you are but Hermosa/Manhattan are a 20yr olds paradise as far as hooking up or even just enjoying the presence of fine looking people in bikinis and boardshorts. I haven't lived there for 5 yrs so I am not sure where to start now but when I go back to take care of the duplex it is obvious on any night of the week. Pier Avenue is a good place to start.

If you are bold but kind, fun and warmhearted, the place delivers. Those things you wished you knew about in high school/college but didn't... you can try them out in Hermosa. It helps to be decent looking and have a good smile. Everyone is pretty chill though.

Ok nostalgic ramble over... Enjoy. Beach side LA is fun.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Thanks for the info. I'm used to the sandy beach breaks of cape cod, think I might check out Malibu and Santa Monica. If I have the time check out San Onofre.

I'm 30, semi-attached and just looking to find some waves. How's water temp this time of year? I'm thinking I don't need to bring my 6 mil?

You still need a full suit, but a 3/2 would likely be ok for someone used to the NE.

Surf in Santa Monica blows. Try El Porto. San Onofre is great, Malibu is obviously good, just 1 or 2 other guys there...
    He who has the most fun wins!

Yes to Malibu, Every Surfer should at least surf one wave there. If for no other reason then to pushed off your board by the Ghost of Dora
    Just to soak in the history of the place.