Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone 4.0

iPhone 4.0

Are you tuning in for the live reports this morning? I'll be watching on engadget, as usual. Totally Nerd-Psyched.

i'll definitely be tuned in via macrumors. Multi-tasking better show or I'm gonna be sad.
    Man, skiing is the easy part.

"He does this, he says, because he can. I think there is a little more to it that that, however. I think he does it because he can, and you cannot." - PacRimRider1 about Leo Brayman

I'm tunned in and ready to be under whelmed.

I'll be a little surprised if multitasking is announced before the next hardware iteration. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe it can run a little hobbled until the new hardware arrives.

I'd like to see some new UI features. After 3 years, it's getting a little stale. Sucks that you have to JB the phone to customize.

There is no hardware or operating system limitation on multitasking it is just a question of how they want to handle closing back grounded 3rd party applications when the device runs low on memory.

You're saying iPhone doesn't need additional memory or processor to run Pandora, Navigon, Email, etc. simultaneously, without crashing?

They could always cripple it for 3G and first gen, but I think the 3GS could handle. I wish they would just find a way to stop my phone from randomly shutting off!

It will be fine for 4 or 5 days, then one day it will just randomly shut off three or four times throughout the day...then it will be ok for a while.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I'm saying the limitation on multitasking is not a technical limitation but a UI design decision. If it has the performance to run the application you want at the speed you want is a different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    They could always cripple it for 3G and first gen, but I think the 3GS could handle. I wish they would just find a way to stop my phone from randomly shutting off!

It will be fine for 4 or 5 days, then one day it will just randomly shut off three or four times throughout the day...then it will be ok for a while.
    What the hell, get that fixed! That's fkd. Never had that happen once. Have you called them?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    What the hell, get that fixed! That's fkd. Never had that happen once. Have you called them?
    So I did some online research and apparently the people that have also had the problem said it was a hardware issue and when they took it into Apple they gave them a new phone.

Mine is a 3GS so it should still be under it's one year warranty. I made an appointment to take it in Friday. Hopefully they just give me a new one.

and yes...I said I made an appointment for my phone...otherwise you have to stand in line for two hours to see anyone at the local retail shop.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

At least you have a local shop, i assume you mean an apple shop. My 3GS is cleared for a replacement also, due to a crack on the back going up from the dock connector, but have to exchange by mail, and lose it for a week unless i have applecare.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Interesting, Jobs called it introducing iPhone 4, not OS4. Hardware being announced too?

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    At least you have a local shop, i assume you mean an apple shop. My 3GS is cleared for a replacement also, due to a crack on the back going up from the dock connector, but have to exchange by mail, and lose it for a week unless i have applecare.
    Dude...you live in Jackson and I live in Denver...I would trade having an Apple Store to live where you do!

Mine has a crack above the vibrate switch that I just noticed. At least it is somewhere that won't propogate...I won't mention the crack to them unless they say they won't replace it from the shut down issue. They are actually really good about replacing them.

I guess they figure for the couple hundred dollars it cost them to build, they might as well keep a good customer that buys the new phone every 2 years anyhow (yes I skipped the 3G to wait for the S).

Multitasking is in. Nice.

Killer integration of Pandora into the lock screen.

Customization and folders!

No multitasking without a 3GS....also, bluetooth Keyboards! Nice...you could do video out to your TV and use a bluetooth keyboard...could do a lot of different things that way.

No multi-tasking on the 3G, though I suppose that was asking a lot. Guess I'll have to look at upgrading to a new one sometime this summer.

Apple just figured out a new way to monetize the crap outta iPhone bandwidth. Like it or not, I'm guessing iAds will be a huge money-maker for them over the next few years.

Someone needs to ask Steve how he managed to jump in front of the line to get a kidney transplant.

iPhone 4 Beta is up for registered iPhone developers.

iAd sounds lame to me. I hope there will be some way to hack the phone and disable it.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by jon turner View Post
    iAd sounds lame to me. I hope there will be some way to hack the phone and disable it.
    You won't even notice a change unless you want to. Apps already have ads in them and the iAd's will be in the same place and the same size...the only difference is, if you choose to click on the ad, it will bring up an interactive ad inside the app instead of taking you to a website outside of the app.

No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    You won't even notice a change unless you want to. Apps already have ads in them and the iAd's will be in the same place and the same size...the only difference is, if you choose to click on the ad, it will bring up an interactive ad inside the app instead of taking you to a website outside of the app.

No big deal.
    Ah, that's cool. Haven't used an iphone much (but am likely getting one when my verizon contract is up this fall), so didn't know ads were already so present.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.