Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 4.0

Verizon has skype,

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    < cough > bullshit < cough >
    Why is that bullshit? I've worn eyeglasses for the past 27 years. I've had everything under the sun in that time and if there's one thing I've learned it's that glass lenses are much, much more difficult to scratch than plastic lenses. I took the screen protector off my iPhone a couple of months ago and have had it in the same pocket with my keys on many occasions. There isn't a single scratch on it. Glass is very scratch resistant, that's why Apple uses it instead of plastic. That said, plastic is generally more impact resistant. So if you drop your phone, plastic won't crack as easily. It's a trade off.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the "current iPhone user upgrade" offer is lame? If you don't have one you can sign up for new service and get the phone for $199, but if you are using one you can sign up for a new 2-year contract and get the new phone for $199. Where is the special deal?
    Read this:
    http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/06/...ariant.for.99/

Normally, if your 2 year contract isn't up for say another 4 months, you'd be screwed and would have to pay the non-subsidized price now or wait 4 months to get the subsidized price. What AT&T is saying is that if your current contract is up any time in 2010, then you get the subsidized price now. It's a good deal.

I'd say it's nice of them to do this, but what I really think is that this is confirmation that a Verizon iPhone is coming before the end of the year. The only reason they'd do this is if they were worried about losing customers for some reason (ie. Verizon iPhone) and wanted to be sure to lock them up for another 2 years instead.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I wondered about that; so it WON'T work with Skype???
    supposedly the front camera is "available to 3rd party developers" haven't read if/when skype would support it. But if Skype supports it - who needs Facetime?

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Why is that bullshit?
    my 3gs experience was a bunch of scratches, including screen, until I bought a case with screen protector... which makes the small phone not so small. Prior Blackberrys/HTC were more resistant to scratching and didn't need a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    supposedly the front camera is "available to 3rd party developers" haven't read if/when skype would support it. But if Skype supports it - who needs Facetime?
    I only want it for Skype, Facetime is not something I would use much as all my family and friends are on Verizon.

My 5 year old knows how to dial grammy and papa on Skype. Jobs, get with it!

What AT&T is saying is that if your current contract is up any time in 2010, then you get the subsidized price now. It's a good deal.
    I got the mini-shaft on this one. My eligibility date is 1/04/11. CRAP!

Sounds like 32GB 3GS's are going for about $400 on eBay now. If I don't qualify for the subsidy, I'm going to sell mine while it's value is still high and pay the full rate for the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by jibij View Post

Sounds like 32GB 3GS's are going for about $400 on eBay now. If I don't qualify for the subsidy, I'm going to sell mine while it's value is still high and pay the full rate for the new one.
    Other are going nuts here too: Sell Sell Sell 3gs

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Verizon has skype,
    And so does my 3gs iPhone on ATT, BUT I would like to see Apple open the front camera to Skype. Otherwise the 4g iPhone is really nothing more than "new".

Netflix, big deal, better resolution..get an iPad for that shit, HD camera, woopee,...iMovies......why I have a LCD TV, .......... I am simply NOT impressed with this phone considering all the hoopla before release.

Did anyone see any mention of it being 4G

No it is not 4G.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    And so does my 3gs iPhone on ATT, BUT I would like to see Apple open the front camera to Skype. Otherwise the 4g iPhone is really nothing more than "new".

Netflix, big deal, better resolution..get an iPad for that shit, HD camera, woopee,...iMovies......why I have a LCD TV, .......... I am simply NOT impressed with this phone considering all the hoopla before release.
    The HD video recording is a big deal to me for traveling and grabbing decent quality family stuff. iMovie is an editing app, Buzz. You'll be able to do video editing, transitions, and titling right on the phone. Obviously not something that most folks will use a lot, but still REALLY cool IMO.

I'm most excited about the 960X400 resolution, super-sharp screen and new form-factor. For me, it'll probably eliminate the iPad from consideration. It's got 78% of the iPads resolution. Just a smaller screen.

The HD video recording is a big deal to me for traveling and grabbing decent quality family stuff. iMovie is an editing app, Buzz. You'll be able to do video editing, transitions, and titling right on the phone. Obviously not something that most folks will use a lot, but still REALLY cool IMO.

I'm most excited about the 960X400 resolution, super-sharp screen and new form-factor. For me, it'll probably eliminate the iPad from consideration. It's got 78% of the iPads resolution. Just a smaller screen.
    Granted. My phone is work first, mine second. To be honest, whipping out the phone is not foremost on my mind as I have another camera. I end up just seeing more stuff I need to take care of from work....

If they would have put a lot more memory in, the HD video would have enticed me a lot more.

Sorry, blood sugar must have been down as I just ate and feel better and now type less nasty. I was on some weird kick....

I've owned EVERY version of this damn thing, and yep, the better camera, better styling, and better screen is more than enough for me to want one. I guess that's about it. I can give a flying crap about mobile iMovie. I rarely use the video function anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    No it is not 4G.
    Then it's a piece of shit.

I think I'm on my third and last iphone. I just got to fuck with the HTC today from sprint and it's pretty sick. Opens applications super fast and the screen is just amazing. I'm going to have to sample some other phones !

and when exactly will Sprint's 4G network be up and running in Denver?

If you get one, let me know how that Sprint network works out for you on the ski lift while you are trying to answer emails so it looks like you are working instead of skipping work to grab some fresh powder...becuase in reality, that is what the damn thing is for...not watching streaming video on the light rail.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I guess it helps that Apple has a somewhat decent frontman:

Could you imagine Steve Jobs running around in circles screaming iPhone 4.0!!!! at the top of his lungs? That would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
    Then it's a piece of shit.

I think I'm on my third and last iphone. I just got to fuck with the HTC today from sprint and it's pretty sick. Opens applications super fast and the screen is just amazing. I'm going to have to sample some other phones !
    The only relevant word here is Sprint.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

My brother checked his eligibility today and it said he could get one. We're pretty sure his contract isn't up until next year. *shrug*

I will not be getting the 4th generation iPhone for two reasons.

First and foremost, Verizon and ATT will be bringing LTE (aka. 4G wireless) online next year. T-Mobile will be going with LTE at some point also. Sprint uses WiMax. LTE > WiMax. So by the time my contract is up, there should be an LTE iPhone out to work on the new networks.

Secondly, I need a 64G model. My 32G 3GS is totally full already and I have way more I want to put on it.

I'd say it's nice of them to do this, but what I really think is that this is confirmation that a Verizon iPhone is coming before the end of the year. The only reason they'd do this is if they were worried about losing customers for some reason (ie. Verizon iPhone) and wanted to be sure to lock them up for another 2 years instead.
    Yeah, reading the details of what lengths AT&T is willing to go to, to get people on another 2-year contract...and on the heels of them increasing their contract-break fee to $375...they don't normally go out of their way to be nice, ya know?

Makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I need a new phone, post-haste, my gen1 is pretty battered...but I don't know.
    Last edited by Jumper Bones; 06-10-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Looking at iPhone 4 as a preview of what is likely coming to the iPad makes me excited. Obviously the iPad needs to get the retina screen, a camera that at least is front facing for facetime over wi-fi, the full gyro deal for gaming, and probably a bunch more. That leaves out the GPS, an HD video cam, and a bunch of other cool stuff that should be on it and the iPodTouch, but still points to a major upgrade over the current iPad.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Apple iPhone on T-Mobile? Analyst says may be soon

NEW YORK (AP) -- The iPhone will be available on other cell phone networks as early as this fall and will likely come first to T-Mobile USA, one analyst who follows Apple Inc. closely said Thursday.

In a note to investors, Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu said his checks with Apple suppliers and others suggest AT&T Inc. will lose its exclusive place as the iPhone carrier no later than the first half of next year.

One reason T-Mobile is a likely candidate is because the company's wireless technology is similar to AT&T's. Sprint and Verizon Wireless use a different wireless standard, so converting the iPhone to run on their networks would presumably involve more technical hurdles.

Wu said T-Mobile also sees the iPhone as key to winning back lost customers, meaning the company will be more likely to settle for Apple's terms.

"T-Mobile does not comment on rumor or speculation," T-Mobile USA spokesman Peter Dobrow said Thursday.

"Would we like to offer the iPhone to T-Mobile customers in the U.S.? You bet. Ultimately though it is Apple's decision on who carries its product," Dobrow added.

In any case, Wu said, Apple needs to sign up another U.S. carrier to keep up the pace of iPhone sales and counter the rising competition of phones that run on Google Inc.'s Android software.

Neither Apple nor AT&T have said when their exclusive deal is slated to end.

In midday trading, U.S.-listed shares of T-Mobile parent Deutsche Telekom rose 40 cents, or 3.7 percent, to $11.33 amid a broader market rally. AT&T shares were up 44 cents at $25.34, while Apple climbed $3.26 to $246.46.

source

I just wanted to state that I am a fag and will be getting the phone even though I said it's shit.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    The only relevant word here is Sprint.
    Everybody is a hater...

iOS4 is out. Go download it.

advres Guest
    Installed. Already in love with the folders. Cut my home pages down from 5 to 2! And of course the combined inboxes is a total time saver. It was a pain cycling through 4 different inboxes every time I checked my mail!!! Like being able to replace Opera with Safari in my bottom bar now too.

PS... the digital zoom with the 3gs camera blows dogs. Don't bother trying to use it.

love it so far