Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BBQ 2010 Thread

I love BBQ....and I mean pork...southern Bama style pork BBQ. Don't bring the beef BBQ shit in here.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Picking up my homemade offset smoker tomorrow after some mods. Pics to come.
    Denver Dirt Pimp - Feel free to hit me up with any RE questions.

So anyone ever smoke a Pot roast before? Seems doable...

Cooked some spare ribs the other day. Rub: 1 tbs. ea: powdered onoion, garlic, ground cumin, paprika, brown sugar; 2tbs kosher salt; 1 tsp ea: cayenne, black pepper, white pepper.

Coated ribs, wrapped in plastic and left overnight.

Indirect heat on gas bbq for six hours. Right around 250. Turned a couple of times. Soaked hickory chips and put in small smoker box on the shield above the burner. Add more as needed.

Last hour, mop sauce 2 paprts apple cider vinegar, 1 part yellow mustard.

FKNA good.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Got things kicked off on Saturday with a pork shoulder:

Getting the alpine start at 4:30am. Molasses brined overnight and rubbed down with fresh toasted and ground cumin, fennel and coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, homemade chili powder, paprika and coffee

The first smoke is the sweetest

12 hours and four doses of hickory chunks later

While the meat cooled/rested, I removed the bone and used it to simmer some collards

Pulled, with some cast iron skillet cornbread

Oh yeeeaaaaah

Epic TR.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Got things kicked off on Saturday with a pork shoulder:

Getting the alpine start at 4:30am. Molasses brined overnight and rubbed down with fresh toasted and ground cumin, fennel and coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, homemade chili powder, paprika and coffee

The first smoke is the sweetest

12 hours and four doses of hickory chunks later

While the meat cooled/rested, I removed the bone and used it to simmer some collards

Pulled, with some cast iron skillet cornbread

Oh yeeeaaaaah

All you needed was some sweet tea and you'd be straight legit.

Did ya put any sauce on the bbq?

very nice TR

Oh yeeeaaaaah

Sweet Jeebus! That is a fine looking plate right there!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

This seems a good spot to revisit a TR I did from a smoked-then-fried turkey over Christmas last year...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ight=smofurkey

It was guuuud.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    I love BBQ....and I mean pork...southern Bama style pork BBQ. Don't bring the beef BBQ shit in here.
    My dad grew up in Southwestern Tennessee and I had a lot of awesome pork BBQ while visiting the grandparents as a kid.

Oh yeeeaaaaah

Damn, lookin' tasty. While visiting my folks in east Texas recently I've had some kickass BBQ. Need to get/DIY a smoker...

Looks good, Dan.

BTW - the smoked Pot Roast was a hit in the Tippster household. Rubbed with Adobo Seasoning (Garlic, Salt, Pepper, and Turmeric) and hickory-smoked (will try mesquite/oak next time.) Served with some doctored Sweet Baby Ray's sauce (stirred in the drippings, beer and some Franks Hot Sauce, then heated it up on the stove,) barley, and a salad. Smoked it for 8 hours, then wrapped in foil and placed in a 300deg oven 'til internal temp was ~190deg to break down the connective tissue into gelatin. Cut into chunks, not pulled.

YUM.

Sorry - no pix. Hands were dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Looks good, Dan.

BTW - the smoked Pot Roast was a hit in the Tippster household. Rubbed with Adobo Seasoning (Garlic, Salt, Pepper, and Turmeric) and hickory-smoked (will try mesquite/oak next time.) Served with some doctored Sweet Baby Ray's sauce (stirred in the drippings, beer and some Franks Hot Sauce, then heated it up on the stove,) barley, and a salad. Smoked it for 8 hours, then wrapped in foil and placed in a 300deg oven 'til internal temp was ~190deg to break down the connective tissue into gelatin. Cut into chunks, not pulled.

YUM.

Sorry - no pix. Hands were dirty.
    Pot Roast isn't a cut of meat, it's a dish Sounds like a tasty smoked chuck roast though. Almost like a gringoized version of Barbacoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    This seems a good spot to revisit a TR I did from a smoked-then-fried turkey over Christmas last year...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ight=smofurkey

It was guuuud.
    oh shitttttt
    Talking shit about a pretty sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
    Pot Roast isn't a cut of meat, it's a dish Sounds like a tasty smoked chuck roast though. Almost like a gringoized version of Barbacoa.
    Duh - blade in Chuck Roast cut to Pot Roast thickness. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEHOCEY77 View Post
    All you needed was some sweet tea and you'd be straight legit.

Did ya put any sauce on the bbq?
    I went with a Negra Modelo for the beverage.

My standard pulled pork sauce is equal parts maple syrup, white vinegar, sriracha and chipotle tabasco. I had neither the syrup or tabasco so I improvised and went with equal parts honey and vinegar (maybe a 1/4 cup each), a tbs or so of sriracha and a couple finely minced chipotle peppers. Different, but quite tasty and hit the required sweet/tangy/smokey/spicy flavor profile.

I have never done a brisket and am thinking about doing one this weekend. Any suggestions?

I have never done a brisket and am thinking about doing one this weekend. Any suggestions?
    I usually keep it simple it with brisket as far as seasoning goes. Salt and pepper and maybe some homemade chili powder. It's a flavorful cut so what I aim for is a full beef flavor and smoke.

With your rig it's doubtful you'd be able to fit a whole brisket in there and depending on where you live they are usually a special request anyway. I think one of the reasons people end up with dried out brisket is most of the info on the web etc assumes your are cooking a whole one (ex. extremely long cooking times). At your local butcher/grocer they will likely have the brisket cut into “the point” and also the “flat cut.” If you are looking for something that pulls like pork and is more forgiving as far as cooking goes, the point is the way to go. But if you want something you can slice the “flat cut” is the way to go.

Unless I’m cooking for a small army, I usually go with a flat cut that has a nice fat cap. The point is good, but the end result is not what I really like when it comes to brisket. I like it super tender, but not so much that is just falls apart and I think you should be able to slice it.

I score the fat cap, season it the night before, and pop it the smoker at 225f the next day. Whether you mop it as it cooks is up to you. I try to get a well marbled cut with a nice fat cap and just let it do its thing. Some people will wrap the brisket in foil after X hours of cooking, but I don’t think that’s necessary if you can keep a constant temp and control the smoke. Also cooking it in foil you can end up steaming the beef and having it sort of fall apart and not be able to slice it, still very tasty, but the texture I’m looking for. It is likely that your brisket will reach 160f and plateau, be patient and let it rise a bit further before removing it and letting it rest, maybe ~170f. ~180 and above it starts to dry out, but at 160 it’s often not all that tender. A good thermometer (Thermapen is what I use) is your friend as well as giving it plenty of time to rest after it comes out.

Brisket can be a lot trickier to cook properly, but when it's good, it's good.
    The main things I try to be careful about is not overfeeding the smoker with wood chunks as brisket can get too smoky and keeping a careful eye on the internal temp as its getting close.

I usually keep it simple it with brisket as far as seasoning goes. Salt and pepper and maybe some homemade chili powder. It's a flavorful cut so what I aim for is a full beef flavor and smoke.

With your rig it's doubtful you'd be able to fit a whole brisket in there and depending on where you live they are usually a special request anyway. I think one of the reasons people end up with dried out brisket is most of the info on the web etc assumes your are cooking a whole one (ex. extremely long cooking times). At your local butcher/grocer they will likely have the brisket cut into “the point” and also the “flat cut.” If you are looking for something that pulls like pork and is more forgiving as far as cooking goes, the point is the way to go. But if you want something you can slice the “flat cut” is the way to go.

Unless I’m cooking for a small army, I usually go with a flat cut that has a nice fat cap. The point is good, but the end result is not what I really like when it comes to brisket. I like it super tender, but not so much that is just falls apart and I think you should be able to slice it.

I score the fat cap, season it the night before, and pop it the smoker at 225f the next day. Whether you mop it as it cooks is up to you. I try to get a well marbled cut with a nice fat cap and just let it do its thing. Some people will wrap the brisket in foil after X hours of cooking, but I don’t think that’s necessary if you can keep a constant temp and control the smoke. Also cooking it in foil you can end up steaming the beef and having it sort of fall apart and not be able to slice it, still very tasty, but the texture I’m looking for. It is likely that your brisket will reach 160f and plateau, be patient and let it rise a bit further before removing it and letting it rest, maybe ~170f. ~180 and above it starts to dry out, but at 160 it’s often not all that tender. A good thermometer (Thermapen is what I use) is your friend as well as giving it plenty of time to rest after it comes out.

Brisket can be a lot trickier to cook properly, but when it's good, it's good.
    The main things I try to be careful about is not overfeeding the smoker with wood chunks as brisket can get too smoky and keeping a careful eye on the internal temp as its getting close.
    About how long for a flat cut per pound?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

1 to 1.5 hrs per pound at 220deg.

It's really fun mixing up dry rub and doing some ribs. I'd like to get a smoker though.

My standard pulled pork sauce is equal parts maple syrup, white vinegar, sriracha and chipotle tabasco. I had neither the syrup or tabasco so I improvised and went with equal parts honey and vinegar (maybe a 1/4 cup each), a tbs or so of sriracha and a couple finely minced chipotle peppers. Different, but quite tasty and hit the required sweet/tangy/smokey/spicy flavor profile.

GAH!!! I guess that's better than the sweetened tomato paste most people use. I grew up on NC-style BBQ, so I'm probably a bit jaded. Little cider vineager, Frank's, cayenne, ground pepper, and a dash of brown sugar. MMMmmmm.

Damn fine lookin' pig, though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Boston Butt: To brine or not to brine? Any experts out there? Thinking of breaking one out on Saturday morning.

what I aim for is a full beef flavor and smoke.
    That's exactly what I want flavor-wise out of this.

But if you want something you can slice the “flat cut” is the way to go...I like it super tender, but not so much that is just falls apart and I think you should be able to slice it.
    Definitely want to slice. I want a nice pink smoke ring and to show it off like a runway model. When it comes to tenderness, the BBQ world seems to agree that brisket should not be falling apart on its own and should get a lot of its "tenderness" from being sliced thinly across the grain so I plan to honor that tradition.

Whether you mop it as it cooks is up to you. I try to get a well marbled cut with a nice fat cap and just let it do its thing.
    That's my plan. Besides being a bit of a pain, I dislike the mopping idea for two reasons: a) Moisture interferes with the meat/smoke alchemy; and b) Lots of mopping = lots of lid opening = wide temp fluctuations. IMO, when it comes to low-and-slow EVEN heat is key to good results.

It is likely that your brisket will reach 160f and plateau, be patient and let it rise a bit further before removing it and letting it rest, maybe ~170f. ~180 and above it starts to dry out, but at 160 it’s often not all that tender.
    170 is the sweet spot, noted, that is good info. For this endeavor I think I will pick up a $5 grill thermometer and use that for vessel temp, and use the probe thermometer for continuous meat monitoring. That way I won't have to keep opening the lid to take temp readings.

The main things I try to be careful about is not overfeeding the smoker as brisket can get too smoky
    I hear you on that, my first attempt at shoulder I oversmoked and it was unpleasant. I go with chunk doses now and ignore smoking time. The above shoulder got four doses and the smoke level was perfect, that only took about 5.5 hours (adding new a new dose of chunks each time I noticed the smoking had stopped). The rest of the 12-hour cooking time it was just chilling at 210-220 and the lid never got opened after the last dose of chunks was added.

As someone who pulls their steaks off the grill at 115-120F, it was hard watching the temp readings push 160f the first time I cooked a brisket, but it's a different beast. It's amazing how juicy it can still be at those high temps (but I've also tasted some with a a nice smoke ring, tender, but dry, dry, dry). It's a bit trickier than other BBQ standards, having a high quality, well marbled brisket helps for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    1 to 1.5 hrs per pound at 220deg.
    When internal temp is important, the correct answer is to get a probe thermometer and never worry about time/pound ever again. No self-respecting cook should be without one. Insert probe into meat at the beginning of cooking, set temp alarm at ideal internal temp and walk away until the alarm goes off. Meat is done perfect every fucking time with no worries or guess work.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    GAH!!! I guess that's better than the sweetened tomato paste most people use. I grew up on NC-style BBQ, so I'm probably a bit jaded. Little cider vineager, Frank's, cayenne, ground pepper, and a dash of brown sugar. MMMmmmm.
    Sounds pretty close to my standard sauce, actually. Hot sauce - check; vinegar - check; sugar - check; and Frank's has some the smoky notes of the chipotle. I thought you were going to throw out a mustard-based sauce, which I thought was the traditional NC/SC BBQ sauce and one I need to do sometime just to mix things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
    Boston Butt: To brine or not to brine? Any experts out there? Thinking of breaking one out on Saturday morning.
    Brine for sure. Today piggies are bred to be a lot leaner and need the help.