$250 Road Bike???

Allow me to begin by confessing that I'm a total bike Jong. I have a Novara Ponderosa (REI bike) that I do some little woods loops with, and ride on the streets in the city as well. I'm considering commuting to work via bike but it's about 17 miles each way, so I'd really like to get some sort of road bike that rides a little easier on the pavement. I obviously wouldn't mind something used as long as it was solid and not going to blow up on me! Is there any chance that I'm going to be able to find something that will work for me within my tiny little budget, or am I dreaming? Please don't tell me I need to spend a grand to get to work!!

Hit craigslist. There's very likely something rideable and reasonable in performance for $250. You won't find anything worthwhile new for that budget.

ill second craigslist, you will be able to find something used for that price. just be patient

If you are the right size and are interested, I have a great old Bianchi Project 1 that I could sell you for $400 plus shipping. It is an old steel cyclocross bike with a steel surly fork on it. It is in fantastic shape. PM me if you are interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

I was in your shoes six months ago, but wasn't really thinking about a road bike. Saw an ad in the paper for a 'old Trek 15 speed, with trainer, $100'. Called the guy up, sounded like my size, it was, bought it after riding it 137 feet. It went, it stopped.

Took it to the bike shop, said ok, what does it need, thinking it would be a couple/three. Said 'dude, the basic tune for $60 should do ya right'. And it's been freakin awesome. I had totally forgotten how much fun road bikes are. I'm putting some new tires on it this year, that's all it needs if that. Bought some barely used mountain bike clipless shoes off eBay, i'm golden.

Might check bikeforums.net for some research. Best way to get what you want is to know what you want. Good luck!!!!
    x3=CL
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Thanks for the advice, I figured that I could find something on Craigslist, but wasn't so sure about quality for the price I can afford. Glad to hear your story Tye, makes me think positively! I'm clearly going to have to do some more research, but something like this should fit the bill, eh?

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bik/1676425795.html

I think that would work great as a commuter if it fits you right.

A couple years ago I bought a Trek seven tube carbon first generation road bike in like new condition for $200 on Craigs. They're out there. I sold the Campy seatpost and Sante drivetrain parts and ended up with a carbon frame and Mavic wheelset for way less than $100.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesmith7 View Post
    A couple years ago I bought a Trek seven tube carbon first generation road bike in like new condition for $200 on Craigs. They're out there. I sold the Campy seatpost and Sante drivetrain parts and ended up with a carbon frame and Mavic wheelset for way less than $100.
    Sounds good, my problem is that I'm such a bike jong I have no idea what a seven tube carbon first generation bike is. I wouldn't know if campy seatposts, sante drivetrain parts, or mavic wheelset's are worth $5 or $500. Guess I've got some reading to do. Maybe I should actually talk to some of my friends who are into bikes...

On that CL ad: i like it all except the internal 3-speed hub, but if it's a flat commute or yer tuff that could work fine. I'm guessing you'll see a lot of that vintage, which can be great, as well as some real steals like ss7 mentions. Lots of info out there tho....
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Without getting lucky $250 will get you a decent older road bike. It's going to have a steel frame, non-index shifting, likely seven speed, downtube shifters. If the wheels are straight, bearing run smooth, headset not trashed it will be a decent ride. Look for Treks, Bridgestones, etc. Lots of choices. You can find midrange Shimano components at this price.

"Hurry up and finish your wine so we can go get us some milkshakes"

That's a pretty long commute. You're probably looking at over an hour each way depending on traffic, stop lights etc. More power to you if you can do it, but that's longer than I would want to spend commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    That's a pretty long commute. You're probably looking at over an hour each way depending on traffic, stop lights etc. More power to you if you can do it, but that's longer than I would want to spend commuting.
    You're right it's a long commute, and I'm going to have to leave really early in the morning to get there and be ready by 7 (like 5:30 ) but if I can get myself to wake up that early I'm really into the idea. With traffic it takes me a 1/2 hour to get to work and 45 minutes home as it is, so adding a bit of time to getting the exercise and time outdoors would be well worth it! I'm done at 3, so afternoons could be leisurely spend touring home with many possible stops along the way, it's the early mornings that I'm going to have some work convincing myself to do!

17 isn't bad, I did that 3-5 days a week a few years ago. Hopefully you have a decent route option and can make it in an hour. There's not much better than being out on the road at sunrise when it's still quiet and cool.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Probably the best road-bike I've EVER had was an old (really old!) Motobecane...it had good campy gear or someone in the past had swapped it out with some pretty high-grade campy gear. It had a hard-ass leather seat which I at first hated and then grew to love.
    A tight and light bike that I don't think I paid anymore than $85 for at a Seattle thrift store, and it fit my 6'3" frame like a glove.

I guess someone else liked it too, because someone eventually cut through it's lock and made it their own. I've been on the look-out for it ever since. Large-frame orange Motobecane (can't even remember the model), with a Gumby figure glued to the head tube as mascot, late-sixties/early seventies vintage. If you see someone riding it, hook em for me! I loved that bike.

The point is, unless you're into competitive road-racing or triathlon, you can almost always find a good USED road-bike that'll fit your purposes for way less than you think.

Do a little research on equipment on the net, and shop the second-hand Play-it-again sports type places, thrift stores, etc. Try out as many bikes as you can, to know how different ones handle, and then shop your local Craigslist or swapsheet. You'll know it when you find it.

The most important thing is once you get it, keep it maintained!! A cheap bike that is well-looked after is MUCH more useful than an expensive ultra-light race bike that is poorly maintained.

Have fun....no better way to commute!!!

This Motobecane would make a nice commuter bike for someone who needs to commute with a lot of work-related gear...1978, all campagnolo gear:
    Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 04-09-2010 at 11:31 AM.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but even more important than the price is the fit. The best deal on a bike that doesn't fit still sucks.

What size do you ride? I have a 70's vintage Raleigh Competition GS. It's rough but could be fixed up with some elbow grease and a cheap set of tires. Issue: it's freaking huge. The guy that gave it to me is 6'-10"! I was going to sell it for a couple hundred as it's a collectable.

The rear derailleur has been replaced with a Suntour, but from what I've heard from vintage afficionados, it's an upgrade since the Campy GS was very poor.

There is so much win and potential for snide comments on that bike, it's downright awesome.

Actually the comments on that page are funny. Kind of reminds me of the hipsters on food stamps thread on here a while ago.

I guess that bike leaves plenty of $$ for PBR and anal lube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.