Dynafit TLT Speed, should I upgrade?

I have a light touring rig consisting of Pocket Rockets and TLT Speeds. I am considering retiring the PR's . They are light, but they totally fold up on hard snow, I am also considering something wider for better pow performance.

Should I keep the TLT Speeds or upgrade to something like the ST/FT? I have only experience with the TLT Speeds, what am I missing out on compared to the other models? I understand the toe piece is the same and the FT has "DIN" 12. I kind of like the idea of having brakes (leashes = ) but I understand the dynafit brakes are not the best..

anyone running TLT Speeds on >100 mm waist skis?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic75 View Post
    anyone running TLT Speeds on >100 mm waist skis?
    me on some DPS W105s - it's a sweet setup.

i didn't really get along with the brakes on FTs and don't really need the 12 DIN so I don't really see any reason to go for anything but the speeds
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Arno: are you using the leashes that came with the bindings?

nice Cham thread by the way!!

I have both the Speeds on a 90 waisted ski and the ST's on a 102 waisted ski. IMO, both the bindings have about the same release value and ease of entry is similar. WTBS, I like the ST's way more than the Speeds because the heel is much easier to rotate with a ski pole as the lift is more user friendly to put the pole tip into from various angles. I also think the toe lever is more stout on the ST's as well.

The only other advantages of the ST/Comfort/FT is that the heel pins are longer (making it less likely you will pop out of the heel as the ski flexes) and you can adjust them for a greater range of boot sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic75 View Post
    Arno: are you using the leashes that came with the bindings?

nice Cham thread by the way!!
    thanks!

i don't use those leashes. got some G3 telemark leashes and clip them to a cord loop i tied to the toepiece of the binding
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

I have all three generations of Dynafits on my touring rigs: Speed/Classic/TLT, Comforts, and STs.

There are definite usability upgrades from the Speed to the ST. The toe lever is easier to use (longer), and the heelpiece is nicer (though I can turn the Speed one with my pole just as easily). The main differences are the increased adjustability (2-3 shell sizes vs 1) and the longer pins.

I'd say that if you're not coming out of the heels due to ski flex (a problem for me on really soft skis only), keep the Speeds. They are substantially lighter and work just as well, plus you already own them. The additional height of the STs is pretty minor and would likely be unnoticeable.

Or, sell me your Speeds for $100 and upgrade away!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

BTW, 30% discount code until 4/7 is good at backcountry.com. 52G-1-ETBLR

I got a set of TLT ST w/92mm brakes for $328.
    watch out for snakes