Moonlight Headwaters Stoke

Friday was a spectacular day to be out in the mountains of southwest Montana; spent it making laps on the Headwaters area of Moonlight. Great, steep, soft skiing in a scenic setting!
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

Nice shots, thanks for sharing.

Sweet! Looks a little more filled in than when we were there a few weeks ago.
    Gravity. It's the law.

well shitbag. What with all that cream and fresh windbuff it looks like the headwaters are out. My saucer does not have enough rocker to really shred that. I had to hit the south aspects of the access road as it was frozen solid with pertruding gravel flakes. I didn't see you with your cardboard box? Have you all of a sudden taken to pow riding standing up? This sucks. What I wouldn't give for another 6 week high pressure. Ahhh, memories, the north wind blowing in my face, a plume of snow coming off the ridgline, my saucer under my arm, scree sluffing down the windfuck, and a martini waiting for me in the lodge. Moonlight Basin, the besta times the worsta times.

Word, 05, 06 you could go spinning three's off the ribs on your saucer, levitate over the stalagmites, and point it straight out the bottom to the warm soft company of a real estate cougar. I think that was like a one in 10'000 year snow season for that place.

Looks like good times Rob, stay in touch for some spring touring.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    well shitbag. What with all that cream and fresh windbuff it looks like the headwaters are out. My saucer does not have enough rocker to really shred that. I had to hit the south aspects of the access road as it was frozen solid with pertruding gravel flakes. I didn't see you with your cardboard box? Have you all of a sudden taken to pow riding standing up? This sucks. What I wouldn't give for another 6 week high pressure. Ahhh, memories, the north wind blowing in my face, a plume of snow coming off the ridgline, my saucer under my arm, scree sluffing down the windfuck, and a martini waiting for me in the lodge. Moonlight Basin, the besta times the worsta times.
    Somebody has a case of the Mondays
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Looks good. Place was skelatal when I was there around new years. Guess they get a bit more than moonlight this time of year.
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Love that place.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

We couldn't quite pull it off today.

13 Deg. F when we started control work, with 20-35 mph winds from the west and poor visibility. 6 Deg. F by the time we were done. Full on winter conditions.

We got the hike in and then postponed the ski portion until tomorrow. Too dangerous to put people up there with low vis and dropping temps and high winds. Several patrollers got the stripe on their faces where the neck gaiter didn't quite cover the skin.

The competitors took it in stride and we kept the venue closed for the day.

Hopefully we will get it done tomorrow.

Apologies to the non-event people who came up to ski the Headwaters, if we could have made it happen we would have.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Hell yeah! The Headwaters are among the toughest, most dangerous, (and most importantly) most fun inbounds terrain in the country. Love the shots
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

We got the hike in and then postponed the ski portion until tomorrow. Too dangerous to put people up there with low vis and dropping temps and high winds. Several patrollers got the stripe on their faces where the neck gaiter didn't quite cover the skin.
    Yeah, no shit. I can't believe the work you guys do to keep that up and running throughout the season. Huge props to that, I'm sure it's not always fun.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

It was cooler when it was graceland.

but great stoke!

Bunion, thank you so much for keeping the venue closed while the event was postponed. While we understanding wanting to get public in it if it's not being used, no one could have asked for better competition conditions than yesterday. Easily my favorite run of the year down the headwaters yesterday, just wish I wasn't among the multitudes who blew up!!

Thank you for putting on this event and helping a great place like Moonlight be great!!!!!
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

You are quite welcome.

We had a little complaining from a few folks but overall it was the right decision to postpone a day and hope for better weather.

It was a fine comp. and we do enjoy hosting it.

I never made it back to Headwaters yesterday after A/C but the skiing was damn fine coming off of route.

Looks like more snow on the way.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Hey Bunion, whats the word on the traverse from Cold Spring into Hell Roaring? I've heard differing opinions from patrol about whether it's allowed or not
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

The absolute answer.

No, the traverse to Cold Spring ends at Cold Spring.

In general we strongly encourage people to ski a zone from the top to the bottom and not establish traverses all over the place.

There are exceptions to this but it is a pretty good rule of thumb and the type of etiquette we hope our guests will embrace.

In general we strongly encourage people to ski a zone from the top to the bottom and not establish traverses all over the place.

There are exceptions to this but it is a pretty good rule of thumb and the type of etiquette we hope our guests will embrace.
    Well put.

So me and a bunch of bros are comin down from Bozo. We scouted this rad traverse to get to the goods and were planning on puttin it in this week. We perfected this sort of sick line in Mundy's bowl and Slaschman's. Anyone wanta get in on this?