Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    So I settled with CostCo - getting BFG ATs in a 235/85 R16 (decided to go a little wider). I can get 4 of them, mounted and balanced, for $750, which is 100 to 200 bucks cheaper than anyone else on the island will sell for. For Hilo, that's a damn good deal...only bummer is I have to drive 2 hours to Kona to get it done.

Anyway - anybody have a beef with buying tires from CostCo?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    So I settled with CostCo - getting BFG ATs in a 235/85 R16 (decided to go a little wider). I can get 4 of them, mounted and balanced, for $750, which is 100 to 200 bucks cheaper than anyone else on the island will sell for. For Hilo, that's a damn good deal...only bummer is I have to drive 2 hours to Kona to get it done.

Anyway - anybody have a beef with buying tires from CostCo?
    Nope. Great warranty, great service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    the only beef i have is buying an AT tire
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Ya DK I hear ya, but I think they'll work for me for now. I'll consider some mud terrains in the future, this won't be my last truck/4x4.

Couldn't find many places that stock Toyos locally, and I wanted to be careful, the "this is Hawai'i, brah" argument towards pricing seems to mean "I can rip you off all I want, where else ya gonna go?"

I'm all for supporting local biz, but not when they're sticking it to me.
    Last edited by Jumper Bones; 04-25-2010 at 05:12 PM.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    I agree, having lived in smaller towns, unless you know someone, Costco can often be the safest option. On the upside, should you not like your tires, you can return them for your money back.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    Timely thread. I’m looking for tires for my ½ ton pickup. I’ve been “researching” tires on the internet, and just ended up confused.

The Bridgestone Revo 2 seems to be the “sexiest” tire on the internet. They’re not cheap, but decent priced.

I was leaning towards the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors originally, but read their quality isn’t the best and ice / snow traction were marginal.

The Hankook ATM RF10 seems like it might work. They’re relatively new, I haven’t found reviews for these on sites like Tirerack, 1010 or Consumer Reports.

I also looked at the expensive Michelin LTX AT2 and the cheap Firestone Destination AT.

At this point I might forget the “All Terrain” tires and buy the General Grabber HTS. Every website seems to agree these are the best “Highway-All Season” tire right now.
    The hankooks are AMAZING. i've got a set on my F150 and they kill in the snow/ice but ride really quiet too. Best AT tire I've ever owned.

I can't speak to the Hankooks, but the Revo 2s are nothing short of amazing. I ran two sets of the original Revos and loved them. Great handling, excellent traction in rain/snow/ice, awesome all around. I also didn't really thing they could get better, but my first foray into a nice Tahoe storm proved me wrong. The 2s absolutely slay it on snow/ice. It was a really sloppy storm with sketchy ass roads and I was very comfortably driving at least 10 mph faster on the 2s than I would have with the older model in the same conditions (and those were no slouch). The kudos for this tire are VERY well deserved. They're unreal.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

About to replace my BFG A/T's, wondering they're still the consensus or if someone has a better idea. 265's.

I would get the General Grabber AT 2 over the BFG A/Ts. The tread patterns are very similar; but the Generals are usually cheaper than the BFGs and rated higher, especially in the wet stuff. I've never cared for how the BFGs handled in the rain.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    The hankooks are AMAZING. i've got a set on my F150 and they kill in the snow/ice but ride really quiet too. Best AT tire I've ever owned.
    My friend has some skinny Hankooks on his full sized Dodge. He likes them a lot. Looking around in the mountains this winter I saw a ton of people running them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    I've never cared for how the BFGs handled in the rain.
    That's actually been an issue more than once, good call.

Super swamper tsl radials have always been one of my favorites. Might be a bit too aggressive for your preference though.

Swampers are stupid when considering wet traction.

Ice, take a look here: http://www.treadwright.com/

Reviews are generally really positive.

Toyo M55. Heavy duty commercial grade A/T tire. E-rated tire so it may be overkill depending on your vehicle type. It's also spendy but they last forever. One downside is an M or N speed rating depending on your tire size.
    Last edited by slim; 04-20-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Just wore out a pair of the BFG All Terrain KO's. I got just over 60K out of them. They are definitely more expensive (about 1K after mount, balance, etc) but they last mch longer than most others and the traction on all surfaces is great..
    I switched to the Hancook Dynapros this time b/c I got the set for about 500. I dont plan on keeping my truck much longer so I didnt feel like putting the $$ in the tires.
    If you plan on keeping the truck long term, Id recommend spending the money on the BFG's and not having to worry about the tires again for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That's actually been an issue more than once, good call.
    Yeah, they're a little scary in the rain. Fine in snow, but there's just something about how they shed water...or more like don't shed water.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

Cool! You've seen good reviews in the bigger sizes? Looks a lot like an MTR, but that soft tread is enticing!
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

I put a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour on my Tacoma in December. The snow/ice performance has been downright scary. I'll be getting rid of them asap. Had Toyo Open Country a/t before and found them to be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Swampers are stupid when considering wet traction.

I gotta admit it would never have occurred to me to look at retreads but those actually seem pretty cool. Interesting,

what's up with the BFG AT KO's not having a Severe Snow rating?

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    The set on my CJ does, but they're a few years old.

OP is in Hawaii. I lived on the Big Island, have spent plenty of time on the rest. Hawaii gets tons of rain, but NO SNOW (unless you're catching the once every few year's coating of Mauna Kea), volcanic soil so plenty of mud but drains well - slippery but not bottomless. However lotsa glassy lava/ lava sand you drive on that tears hell out of any tire, so why pay major $$? For looks? You drive considerable distances on curvy, often wet paved roads to get to unpaved cutoffs, etc. Most local rigs have major suspension lifters, giant off-road tires, but cultural; not needed for the local Costco. Rarely need for local beaches unless you drive distances on the sand. Which is usually not possible, most beaches aren't like Waikiki. Or Santa Monica. The recs here for all-terrain hyper aggro tires are gonna be a PITA when it rains and you're navigating a twisty paved road with the Pacific 800 feet directly below your passenger side. Had a pickup there, perfectly happy with Michelin LTX A/S's even driving to beaches on goat footpaths or working hairpin dirt roads at 13,000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    It varies by size/plys.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    OP is in Hawaii. I lived on the Big Island, have spent plenty of time on the rest. Hawaii gets tons of rain, but NO SNOW (unless you're catching the once every few year's coating of Mauna Kea), volcanic soil so plenty of mud but drains well - slippery but not bottomless. However lotsa glassy lava/ lava sand you drive on that tears hell out of any tire, so why pay major $$? For looks? You drive considerable distances on curvy, often wet paved roads to get to unpaved cutoffs, etc. Most local rigs have major suspension lifters, giant off-road tires, but cultural; not needed for the local Costco. Rarely need for local beaches unless you drive distances on the sand. Which is usually not possible, most beaches aren't like Waikiki. Or Santa Monica. The recs here for all-terrain hyper aggro tires are gonna be a PITA when it rains and you're navigating a twisty paved road with the Pacific 800 feet directly below your passenger side. Had a pickup there, perfectly happy with Michelin LTX A/S's even driving to beaches on goat footpaths or working hairpin dirt roads at 13,000 feet.
    That's interesting and all, but since he started the thread over a year ago I bet he already bought tires by now. But hey, who knows?

edit: bought the Generals, thanks Arty.
    Last edited by iceman; 04-21-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    edit: bought the Generals, thanks Arty.
    The thanks actually belong to the man formerly known as hardrider. He's the one that clued me in to them. It's a good deal for a really good tire.