Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: P90x

I refer you back to where this discussion started: a 6'1" dude who weighs 155 pounds.

If he wanted to put on muscle mass (and really, don't give half a shit) and couldn't, the proper explanation wouldn't be "genetics."

OK thanks for the help guys. I want to say it one more time though: I am strong enough and fit enough for anything I need to do, but does that mean I should stop working out? No, that means I should just make my goals a bit smaller and work towards something less significant than losing weight or gaining muscle. For me at this point, that involves getting a bit more cut. I really don't see what is so wrong with that, but I don't feel like arguing with you guys, especially since a lot of you are trying to help me out. How does this approach sound: Keep my compound lifts, lift 2-3 times a week. Buy a climbing rope...Climb that every night or every other night. Then, mix in long bike rides and swimming on different days. Finally, I maxout on my pushups on the hour all day, mixing in some BW ab exercises. Obviously, with this amount of activity I'm bound to slim down a bit, but is anything counterproductive to the other? Thanks for the responses
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

I think you are missing the main point: if you want to look "cut" you need to "cut" via your diet. If you already have the musculature and fitness but want to change how you look without a shirt on, look to your diet. Not the gym. Check out marksdailyapple.com for a non-bodybuilder slant on this. Then look at male gymnasts and consider a set of rings.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLionfish View Post
    OK thanks for the help guys. I want to say it one more time though: I am strong enough and fit enough for anything I need to do, but does that mean I should stop working out? No, that means I should just make my goals a bit smaller and work towards something less significant than losing weight or gaining muscle. For me at this point, that involves getting a bit more cut. I really don't see what is so wrong with that, but I don't feel like arguing with you guys, especially since a lot of you are trying to help me out. How does this approach sound: Keep my compound lifts, lift 2-3 times a week. Buy a climbing rope...Climb that every night or every other night. Then, mix in long bike rides and swimming on different days. Finally, I maxout on my pushups on the hour all day, mixing in some BW ab exercises. Obviously, with this amount of activity I'm bound to slim down a bit, but is anything counterproductive to the other? Thanks for the responses
    Too much aerobics like cycling and swimming will inhibit your ability to get "cut" if i am reading what you mean by cut. Rest is a huge ingredient in gaining muscle and definition. ymmv.

Yeah, I know about that, but I thought a question about a diet is a lot more personal and wouldn't really be able to be answered very well through the internet. Thanks for the link though, looks very helpful and I'm going to look all throughout it. What is your take on meal-replacement supplements? I've always steered away from them, choosing to just eat natural. I'm assuming this is still the healthiest way of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Too much aerobics like cycling and swimming will inhibit your ability to get "cut"
    Well, assuming he's going to swim aerobically, and he did say "long bike rides and swimming" so it does sound like long easy distance. But maybe he plans to do something like 10x50 all out from the blocks on 5:00. OK, probably not.

I sure as fuck don't follow this prescription but:

1) make your only carbs non-starchy veggies (no fruit, no sugar, no bread, no pasta, no rice"
    2) eat plenty of protein and good fat (this means meat, fish, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts and seeds)
    3) don't drink alcohol and probably no supplements at all except fish oil and vitamin d
    4) watch bodyfat decline sharply and admire your hudge veiny biceps

Yeah, I know about that, but I thought a question about a diet is a lot more personal and wouldn't really be able to be answered very well through the internet. Thanks for the link though, looks very helpful and I'm going to look all throughout it. What is your take on meal-replacement supplements? I've always steered away from them, choosing to just eat natural. I'm assuming this is still the healthiest way of doing things.
    FWIW, One of my staff members was Mr. California and one of the top Natural Body builders in the world. He used to eat almost nothing but skinless chicken breast but he changed to lean beef because of the fats and nutrients not available in chicken. He didn't take supplements. Here's a picture and he is not that "big" but very lean. the diet portion of the training to look like this is not healthy at all:

Edit: Now I remember. He only took a multi vitamin for pill suplement.

That's not "big"? No wonder we were arguing. Fuck.

Not only is it hard to get to competition level bodyfat (what is that, like 3-4%?) it's absolutely impossible to maintain it for long.

BEEFCAKE!

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I do high reps of 225 on squats, and I'm not sure what my real 8-rep weight would be, but probably about 350. My all-time 1rm on deadlifts was 495, and I rep about 395-415. I 8-rep bench 315. I know I'm not incredibly strong or anything, but I'm as strong as I need to be for any of my purposes.
    Dood if your're really 6'1" 155lbs, DL is pushing 500 and you bench 315 for 8, how could you not already be jacked as fuck? Srsly, 155 lbs? You're either trolling (and quite successfully too) or are just full of bullshit.

As far as supplements go, I recommend a stack of whey protein and crystal meth.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

that was someone else, yo

sorry, confused.

What is your take on meal-replacement supplements?

Protein powders and MRP's have been the single best thing I ever did for my fitness goals and Ive used them off and on for the last decade or so depending on how into working out I was at the time.

I will now present you with the exact advice that you will get on the bodybuilding.com forum if you spent the next entire day or two picking through all the useless crap that is on there:

The best you can do if you decide to go this route is to first find a good MRP(check out Controlled Labs Golden Gains, or SAN Infusion). Use the MRP anytime you are sore from lifting and don't have time for a healthy real food meal. Golden gains has organic fruit and veggies in it too, healthy fats, a lot of good shit. Some of the MRP's on the market make weird claims and have weird things in them, but Golden Gains(and others) has a lot of real good stuff in it and keeps me full for a long time. I also use their multi vitamin Orange Triad that includes stuff for your joints, more fruits and veggies, etc... and their fish oil and greens supplement Orange Oxi-Omega.

Next, check outOptimum Nutritions All Natural Proteins. I use their 'Oats and Whey' every morning in milk for breakfast, and their Micellar Casein every night before bed so that I have time released protein in my blood all night(alternatively you can just eat cottage cheese before be as it is mostly casein as well). Also, find and use a whey isolate for right after your workout for quickest absorption.

If you wanna get into supplements this is as far as you would ever need to take it without being too weird. My use of this stuff has provided me with enormous gains(and losses when cutting) and I dont feel that I am hurting my body with the specific products that I choose to ingest. My only complaint is that most will use sucralose(or stevia) for sweetener so I often just use unflavored protein in smoothies of just deal with it.

Recap:
    1) Whey isolate post workout
    2) Micellar Casein before bed(or just cottage cheese)
    3) MRP during the day

Feel free to PM with any supp questions you have cause Ive done a lot of research and taken a fair amount of them in my life. I used to be stupid into bodybuilding and 100% realize how lame it was at this point, but I still use a lot of the techniques to maximize my training. I know that what I just said makes it seem like I take a TON of supps, but its all just there to give me a healthier diet than I would have if I just ordered cheese steaks and pizza at school when Im studying all night; and if I actually do the math, these seemingly expensive supps are cheaper than when I eat crap cafeteria food or order out so its a win-win.

Oh, and the bodybuilding.com online store is the cheapest prices you will find anywhere for any supplement. Even things you dont just associate with working out(mutli vitamins, fish oil glucosamine, etc...). GNC is such a huge ripoff compared to this place its not even funny, I just wish I found out about it sooner, Id have saved A LOT of money...

USANA supplements FTW. In addition to their dietary supplements, I take their vitamins & minerals, fish oil, & glucosamine compound. Pharmaceutical grade production methods. The choice of many Olympic athletes.

Good skin care line too, parabin free and all that... they have an alpha hydroxy face serum that my wife uses & now I remind her when we're out cuz I use it regularly too

Too much information? yea I thought so.

Want to look cut do what I did when I was was kind of a fanatic about exercise. Drink heavily the night prior and when you wake up the next day you will look about as cut as you ever did. Sure you'll be dehydrated, possibly hung over, and maybe look like the walking dead from the neck up, but throw up a couple times and you'll look even more ripped. So when you do the walk of shame put on a hat and sunglasses and you can do it with your shirt off and still and make the church going mom's question their marriage on Sunday morning.

Alright, thanks a lot guys. I think I've got about all the help I need. This is what I ate today: 3 scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese and yogurt with blueberries for breakfast, yogurt with raspberrys and a protein shake with banana and peanut butter for lunch, and I'm about to have some chicken with a big salad. Does that sound pretty good? I will also look into the meal-replacement stuff and supplements(thanks couloirman for the thorough, helpful response about it). I have one more question for you guys... Does anyone know where I can get a safe outdoor 15-20 foot climbing rope for less than 200 dollars (a lot less?). I'm amazed that they are this expensive, but I can't find any cheap ones. Thanks

... Does anyone know where I can get a safe outdoor 15-20 foot climbing rope for less than 200 dollars (a lot less?). I'm amazed that they are this expensive, but I can't find any cheap ones. Thanks
    For what I'm guessing you want it for you don't want a 'climbing rope' - you want a piece of static line rope.

Same size, but it's static, which means it's rigid (or more rigid) than the dynamic (stretchy) climbing ropes.

REI, Mountain Gear, and just about any other climbing shop should sell static line by the foot, and it'll be fairly inexpensive.
    Who cares how the crow flies

No, he is looking for a large diameter rope for climbing...not a climbing rope.

Like this, and no, I don't know where to get them cheap.

This is what I ate today: 3 scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese and yogurt with blueberries for breakfast, yogurt with raspberrys and a protein shake with banana and peanut butter for lunch, and I'm about to have some chicken with a big salad. Does that sound pretty good?
    Honestly, no that doesn't sound all that good. What you are eating is all fine and dandy and if you are up to the correct number of calories for you then stick with that amount of food but you need to be eating more times/day so split it up into more meals. Assuming you want to eat the same foods that you did today, it would have been much more beneficial to do the following at 2-3 hour intervals:

Meal 1: eggs and cheese
    Meal 2: yogurt/berries
    Meal 3: yogurt/berries
    Meal 4: protein shake
    Meal 5: 1/2 the amount of chicken you ate and the salad
    Meal 6: the other half the chicken
    Meal 7: cottage cheese(Had to throw this one in there. Eat some casein before bed!)

No matter if I am in a cutting phase, or a muscle building phase I will be eating 6-8 "meals" of some sort every day. A meal doesn't have to be a full meal by any means which is why I put it in quotes. It can be a half scoop of protein powder, a banana with peanut butter, a big glass of chocolate milk, etc... If you're working out and getting sore then you wanna always have some amino's circulating in your bloodstream and this means eating every 3 hours. You don't want to go catabolic like your current diet is making you for a large portion of the day, it is completely counterproductive to what you are trying to do.

My strategy is to aim for 6x ~300 calorie meals every day. It keeps the metabolism up and makes certain you always have something in your blood available to build/maintain muscle. If you do it right, it doesn't take any more time than 3 meals does, and will help you out a lot more than your current 3 meals/day diet.

You wanna know who eats 2-3 meals/day? Sumo wrestlers. Granted, they eat big meals, but the whole concept is that the more you eat, the more your metabolism is active and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    No, he is looking for a large diameter rope for climbing...not a climbing rope.

Like this, and no, I don't know where to get them cheap.

Yeah one of those, huh huh, I'm a dumass.

http://images.athleticstuff.com/f/72...=Whole&x=0&y=0
    Who cares how the crow flies

Couloirman - Have you had any joint problems before? Wondering by taking Orange Triad if you've seen a difference.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I sure as fuck don't follow this prescription but:
    2) eat plenty of protein and good fat (this means meat, fish, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts and seeds)
    coconut oil is the single worst you could put in your body, nearly all SF's.

If you're really looking to get "cut" you should be concentrating on a combination of reducing your caloric intake and increasing the number or calories you burn. Lift and run every day and you'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by BestofShow View Post
    Couloirman - Have you had any joint problems before? Wondering by taking Orange Triad if you've seen a difference.
    Ive got arthritis in both my knees from chondromalacia that I had operated on a couple years ago, so yeah I definitely have joint issues. I havent been on Triad long enough to notice anything, and never really noticed all that much from glucosamine either but that was mostly because I wasnt consistent enough taking it. By combining my multi vitamin, with my joint supplement I am guaranteeing that I will be taking it regularly and I can report back in a couple months.

There is a supplement site just like SAC called wheycheap.com and Triad has been up there a few times for cheap so Ill keep an eye out and let you know if it can be had cheap

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    coconut oil is the single worst you could put in your body, nearly all SF's.
    GTFO and go back to 1988. The low-fat, high carb aerobic classes are calling your name.