Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: P90x

You're motivated by vanity? That's weird
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

I understand. You just want to look good when you hold your flex poses in front of the mirror.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you squat and deadlift and how much do you weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by snow_slider View Post
    I understand. You just want to look good when you hold your flex poses in front of the mirror.
    No no it's so you look fly sitting by the pool with a Coors Light in your hand

What is an industrial athlete?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Smokejumper...SWAT team member in their masturbatory dream, stuff like that I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Smokejumper...SWAT team member in their masturbatory dream, stuff like that I guess.
    Good thinking. That is about as buzz wordy as it gets.

What about the portly bike cop I saw riding on the mall this morning?

I'm glad it worked for you...but at 6'1" and 155 you are a model for the major shortcoming of P90X: it has no strength component.

Damn...I was trying so hard not to be a dick in this thread....and I really wasn't going to mention that if your program doesn't include squats and deadlifts it is extremely limiting. Damn.
    Weight and strength are not equal measure. If a mature adult can gain five pounds of lean muscle a year they are superman. Most people just aren;t predisposed to gaining a lot of weight through lifting. All they are doing is hanging fat on stronger frame. And, it's how you measure strength. We have (girl) swimmers that can do 25 chinups and 50 pushups easily and they aren't "big"

^I think you're both eluding to the same point... power er strength:weight

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    If a mature adult can gain five pounds of lean muscle a year they are superman.
    That's beyond retarded. It's EASY to put on 5 lbs of lean mass in a year if you eat a caloric excess and squat and deadlift. You will probably have to take 5 pounds of fat too, but that is easy to lose later.

But as far as strength and weight not being the same, I agree 100%. There are plenty of fat, weak people and plenty of small, strong people. It's just unlikely that someone who is 6'1" and 155# has any sort of real relative strength.

It's just unlikely that someone who is 6'1" and 155# has any sort of real relative strength.
    Wrong. Real relative strengths:

1) ability to wear girl jeans
    2) knowing the dashboard confessionals catalog by heart
    3) making an extra hot soy misto in under a minute 30.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you squat and deadlift and how much do you weigh?
    I do high reps of 225 on squats, and I'm not sure what my real 8-rep weight would be, but probably about 350. My all-time 1rm on deadlifts was 495, and I rep about 395-415. I 8-rep bench 315. I know I'm not incredibly strong or anything, but I'm as strong as I need to be for any of my purposes.
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

Ok, you probably are strong enough, so I'll say it again: if you want to be a bodybuilder you should probably follow some bodybuilder routines but it's probably mostly going to be diet based at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLionfish View Post
    I don't understand how that's weird or anything.
    Having minutia like bicep veins as your primary goals is a bit weird in my book, but whatever floats your boat. It seems you want nothing to do with bodybuilders, but that is exactly the kind of stuff they fret over so that really would probably be the best place to look for advice on this. With those lift numbers you are crazy to be considering p90x.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic
    We have (girl) swimmers that can do 25 chinups and 50 pushups easily and they aren't "big"
    At those reps numbers it's not about strength anymore, it's muscular endurance. Plus, it is my understanding that because of their lower levels of testosterone very few women will get "big" w/o steroids no matter how much they lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Plus, it is my understanding that because of their lower levels of testosterone very few women will get "big" w/o steroids no matter how much they lift.

Same with most men.

LOL, second retarded statement by 4matic in this thread.

Unless you consider protein steroids.

So Jessie is a complete dead lift and squat tweak eh?

LOL, second retarded statement by 4matic in this thread.

Unless you consider protein steroids.
    Most men are not predisposed to getting big. It's not retarded. If you don't have the genes it's not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Most men are not predisposed to getting big. It's not retarded. If you don't have the genes it's not happening.
    Most men aren't predisposed to eating a huge caloric excess and getting under a heavy barbell 3x a week. Which is cool...I have no interest in getting "big" either.

But just because most people who "work out" or "lift" (which for 95% of the gym going public consists of lame machine circuits) or whatever don't get big doesn't prove your point. Of course there is a genetic aspect, just like everything. But I guarantee anyone who follows Rippetoe's Starting Strength program can easily pack on 25 pounds in a year (some of which will be fat, sure). Much more if they are younger and have no strength background to begin with.

And Beastiality, I'm not even sure why I am responding to someone with that username, but no, definitely not. However, the squat and deadlift are, by far, the best measure of both pure and relative strength out there (which is far different than athleticism, no doubt).

Most men aren't predisposed to eating a huge caloric excess and getting under a heavy barbell 3x a week. Which is cool...I have no interest in getting "big" either.

But just because most people who "work out" or "lift" (which for 95% of the gym going public consists of lame machine circuits) or whatever don't get big doesn't prove your point. Of course there is a genetic aspect, just like everything. But I guarantee anyone who follows Rippetoe's Starting Strength program can easily pack on 25 pounds in a year (some of which will be fat, sure). Much more if they are younger and have no strength background to begin with.

And Beastiality, I'm not even sure why I am responding to someone with that username, but no, definitely not. However, the squat and deadlift are, by far, the best measure of both pure and relative strength out there (which is far different than athleticism, no doubt).

Genetics determines up to 80% of your predisposition to getting fat, ripped abs, gaining muscle, etc., and overall fitness.

I agree about Squat and deadlift.

Genetics undoubtedly plays a HUGE role in the successes of world class athletes. For the rest of us, it's just as much a cop out to say "I can't gain muscle" as it is to say "I can't not be fat."

Unless you really think fat people have no choice...now that is comedy. Predisposed? Absolutely. Cursed with fat parents who taught you nothing about how to live well? Absolutely.

Without choice? No fucking way.

Genetics undoubtedly plays a HUGE role in the successes of world class athletes. For the rest of us, it's just as much a cop out to say "I can't gain muscle" as it is to say "I can't not be fat."

Unless you really think fat people have no choice...now that is comedy. Predisposed? Absolutely. Cursed with fat parents who taught you nothing about how to live well? Absolutely.

Without choice? No fucking way.
    You're talking about fitness now. Not gaining lean muscle mass through weight lifting. Take Michael Phelps for example.. Never lifted a weight in his life until last year. Do you think he could suddenly pack on 20 pounds of muscle by lifting weights and eating? Not a chance..

I give up. You are right. It's impossible for the average male athetlic enough to ski to put on muscle mass unless they were born with very specific genes. How could I have been so dumb?

I give up. You are right. It's impossible for the average male athetlic enough to ski to put on muscle mass unless they were born with very specific genes. How could I have been so dumb?

Your argumentative and baseless responses are the only thing that is dumb. My point is that it completely depends on the individual and not the what migh work for the average. Gaining lean muscle mass varies widely for individuals and will be far less possible for someone already in good fitness.