Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: P90x

I'm glad it worked for you...but at 6'1" and 155 you are a model for the major shortcoming of P90X: it has no strength component.

Damn...I was trying so hard not to be a dick in this thread....and I really wasn't going to mention that if your program doesn't include squats and deadlifts it is extremely limiting. Damn.

Thanks for the comments everyone, they were very helpful. What I am still wondering is... I am very fit (5-6% BF, can run a sub 6 minute mile, etc.) and also do a lot of powerlifting/compound lifts. However, my workout routines have pretty much platueaed for me at this time, and was wondering if this is still a good program for someone that is already fit and strong
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

there are ways to get it for free

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLionfish View Post
    However, my workout routines have pretty much platueaed for me at this time, and was wondering if this is still a good program for someone that is already fit and strong
    P90x is probably not for you.

What are your goals? You cannot intelligently choose a program without goals.

I want to get more cut, yet am already cut. Like for example, I already have a visible six-pack, but would like it to be more visible. Also, I would like it if I could get those bicep veins to show more

Quote Originally Posted by unpossible View Post
    Bowflex Select-tech dumbbells (50lb version).
    Sell those plastic play-toys on craigslist, get Ironmasters. They lock up as solid as regular non-adjustable gym dumbells, but the best part is that there is not extra length on each side to deal with when you strip weight off, the dumbbell is only as long as it needs to be unlike the bowflex which is made of plastic, breaks when dropped and is always the same length regardless of how much weight you take off. I cant say enough good things about these dumbbells. Expensive, but worth it and retain their value if you ever wanna sell on craigslist.

I want to get more cut, yet am already cut. Like for example, I already have a visible six-pack, but would like it to be more visible. Also, I would like it if I could get those bicep veins to show more
    That's just a matter of dropping body fat to unhealthy levels.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    Sell those plastic play-toys on craigslist, get Ironmasters. They lock up as solid as regular non-adjustable gym dumbells, but the best part is that there is not extra length on each side to deal with when you strip weight off, the dumbbell is only as long as it needs to be unlike the bowflex which is made of plastic, breaks when dropped and is always the same length regardless of how much weight you take off. I cant say enough good things about these dumbbells. Expensive, but worth it and retain their value if you ever wanna sell on craigslist.
    I would love to be able to have either; unfortunately, they are both prohibitevly expensive

I would love to be able to have either; unfortunately, they are both prohibitevly expensive
    keep an eye on craigslist. I got my ironmasters for ridiculously cheap cause someone was moving and needed to get rid of them fast. You never know...

To answer your question...I'd start doing Crossfit regularly, not p90x since you're in good shape already.
    Dantheman was already in very, very good shape and he started Crossfit. I've never seen him more lean and w/ more visible muscle since I've known him. His body fat has gone down, yet he's gained a ton of muscle with more of a variety than p90x.
    That being said, p90x was and is great for someone like me and a lot of other people who aren't already in super good shape ( was in shape, just not amazing by any means). Also good for those that like to do a video, that just works well for some people and not others.
    you sketchy character, you

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Everyone I know raves about it. Mostly, these are fit people looking to do a little more. They are not gym people.
    What do you have against gym people, sucka?

No for real I have an ex workout partner who just had a kid, no time for the gym anymore, and he's started using this P90X thing and has had great results. His build went from the big bulky dude that could squat 465 to a much skinnier, wiry looking guy that does headstands like they're going out of style.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I'm glad it worked for you...but at 6'1" and 155 you are a model for the major shortcoming of P90X: it has no strength component.
    I was just going to tell him to eat a cheeseburger. :shrug:
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

You need to hang out on bodybuilding forums, get a mankini, some bronzer, and a razor.

Good luck with your strange quest.

My reasons for doing P90X were probably different than most and I had no real expectations going into it. That being said, if i kept my weight the same yet lowered my body fat almost 7%, doesn't that infer I improved my strength and built some muscle. I certainly feel like it did.

So I'm skinny sue me, been hearing it all my life, seems to bother people more than it bothers me. My weight is right in the middle of the healthy range for my height and age.

I'm thinking about doing seal fit, as crossfit doesn't seem to be quite enough. Anyone have any experience with this?

Some of the workouts look outrageously difficult though

Sealfit disclaimer:

THIS PUBLIC WOD IS FOR SPECIAL OPERATORS, INDUSTRIAL ATHLETES AND SERIOUS ADVENTURE ATHLETES. IF YOU ARE TREADING IN THIS ARENA, THEN PROCEED WITH CAUTION. THESE WODS WILL LEAD TO OVER TRAINING IF NOT BALANCED PROPERLY.
    If you were originally thinking about P90X I doubt you qualify and it would probably be a good way to get injured. From what I saw Seal Fit looked like 3 Crossfit workouts per day. They even use the same names for some of the workouts. Try a few CF workouts and see how that goes before jumping in with both feet.

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    Sealfit disclaimer:

If you were originally thinking about P90X I doubt you qualify and it would probably be a good way to get injured. From what I saw Seal Fit looked like 3 Crossfit workouts per day. They even use the same names for some of the workouts. Try a few CF workouts and see how that goes before jumping in with both feet.
    I'll take that into consideration, thanks. Does anyone have any experience with climbing ropes? I've heard that it is great for building upper body strength/losing weight

And, if done correctly, should the workouts get one more cut in this order P90x- crossfit- sealft from least to most?

^ You're splitting hairs if getting cut is your MO. I bet that any of those 3 programs will get you shredded if your feeding habits are correct. Leverage your workouts with nutrition that's on point. That is, cut out the booze & bread & limit the fruit/sugar & up protein.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

No seriously, I think bodybuilding is fucking weird as shit and fruity as all get out but if your goals are to increase hypertrophy and are in general purely aesthetic, you should probably go to bodybuilding.com and read what they have to say. Lots of high reps with low weights and all that other crap.

And Derider is right about the diet. Abs are made in the kitchen.

I'm on day 10 of the P90X workout. The first day hurt, the rest were reasonable. My biggest problem is my diet, to many carbs, not enough protein. Still haven't decided if I like it or not, just doing it to do something for the down time between seasons. I decided on it based purely from a time perspective-an hour a day in my house beats driving to and from the gym any day. I'll back in a couple of weeks with a better evaluation.

Lots of high reps with low weights and all that other crap.
    What you're not into partials?
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

I can't tell if this is meant to be tongue-in-cheek or a serious response.

I don't understand how that's weird or anything. I also think the bodybuilders are weird as hell, and I don't really wanna associate with those people. I'm already as strong as I will ever need to be, and would like to look better. How is that weird?