Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: P90x

P90x

I remember there being a thread about this awhile back, but I couldn't find it... So sorry if this is a repeat. Does P90x really work? I have kind of plateaued in my workout, and have heard great things about this, and am ready to pay for it. But can some people vouch for it? Thanks
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

I think it really depends on your goals and what you want to get out of it. The workouts can be good, however I wasnt really into working out in my living room. I like going to the gym better, so I adapted a few of the workouts so they can be done in the gym. Saw some pretty good gains in a relatively short period of time.

The nutrition plan has some good guidelines but nothing that cant be found in some good books. I did think that some of the recommendations had too many calories for me personally.

I put all the workouts and nutrition plan into a nice excel trakcing sheet if you are interested in seeing pm me your email and I can send it over.

will a program that combines 1 hour of hard exercise, 6 days a week, with proper nutrition, work? I don't know, what do you think?

People rave about it and I have no doubt that it works great. If you have the time, go for it. But just about any halfway decent program of hard exercise and proper nutrition will work if you put the time in.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^ What I like about it specifically is that I don't have to think about my workouts, which is why I was always changing and/or stopping them before. Now, I just pop the DVD in and follow along... its really easy to do.

Its got some great workouts in the set as well, with Plyometrics and Yoga aside from the standard weight routines.

Three weeks into it and I'm absolutely loving it. I talk to other people about it and I feel like a walking commercial.
    People shooting ski areas should be sued.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    ^^^ What I like about it specifically is that I don't have to think about my workouts, which is why I was always changing and/or stopping them before. Now, I just pop the DVD in and follow along... its really easy to do.

Its got some great workouts in the set as well, with Plyometrics and Yoga aside from the standard weight routines.
    I get that. I think it's a good, well balanced program and it provides you with a step by step guide that makes it easy to follow.

I am just speaking to this concept that some people seem to have, that it's some "magic pill." Getting in great shape requires a lot of hard work, but many people I know seem to think that P90x somehow sidesteps that (like 6 minute Abs or something like that). It doesn't, the program requires a lot of hard work. What it is good for is if you are ready and able to put in that time and effort, but feel a little lost about how to start and what to do.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Id just join a swim team again and call it a day.

After NCAA's I was giving Lance a run for his money in terms of fitness. I about shit my pants when I ran a 5.16 mile having not run the distance since I was in middle school gym class. You get fucking ripped as well and dont look like a meatstick.

Plus girls who swim regularly like to fuck more. Its science...really. That was a fun aspect of the swim team.

But Im sure the video workouts ala Jane Fonda work great.
    Live Free or Die

I've been told the program uses a pull up bar placed in a doorway. Does the pull up bar damage your doorway?

Joining a swim team is on my list right below joining a road-biking team.

I don't question that it worked well, but that's about the last fucking thing I want to do with my free time.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Id just join a swim team again and call it a day.

After NCAA's I was giving Lance a run for his money in terms of fitness. I about shit my pants when I ran a 5.16 mile having not run the distance since I was in middle school gym class. You get fucking ripped as well and dont look like a meatstick.

Plus girls who swim regularly like to fuck more. Its science...really. That was a fun aspect of the swim team.

But Im sure the video workouts ala Jane Fonda work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I've been told the program uses a pull up bar placed in a doorway. Does the pull up bar damage your doorway?
    No.........
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I just bought it. Hasn't come yet.
    I bought the basic package. I found their pull up bar had a $34 shipping charge- making it an $80 purchase. I just picked up the exact same bar at Sports Authority for $40.00 no shipping.

Everyone I know raves about it. Mostly, these are fit people looking to do a little more. They are not gym people.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    They are not gym people.
    Another reason I'm using it (and maybe the primary reason). I can't stand going to the gym when its nice outside 90% of the time here in CO. With this program, I get up before work, walk downstairs and do the workout in my basement in an hour.

I've done this before and I can honestly say that towards the end, it's the first time in my life I could do 10 push ups (not girl ones, real ones) in a row, no breaks. I was also the most flexible I've ever been as well (that yoga kicks your ass if you can make it through the whole thing). If you really stick to it and dedicate yourself to following the program for 3 months, it'll make you stronger and you'll see improvements in strength and overall fitness. If you do it half way, you won't, it's pretty simple.

The plyo workout in itself is a really good one to do, even if you aren't doing all the other dvd's. I'm doing Crossfit now, but i see a lot of their plyo stuff is similar to some Crossfit stuff, it's pretty cool. Crossfit is better for a busy mom like myself because it only takes 20-30 mins max, whereas p90x takes at least 45-60 mins.
    you sketchy character, you

Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post
    I've done this before and I can honestly say that towards the end, it's the first time in my life I could do 10 push ups (not girl ones, real ones) in a row, no breaks. I was also the most flexible I've ever been as well (that yoga kicks your ass if you can make it through the whole thing). If you really stick to it and dedicate yourself to following the program for 3 months, it'll make you stronger and you'll see improvements in strength and overall fitness. If you do it half way, you won't, it's pretty simple.

The plyo workout in itself is a really good one to do, even if you aren't doing all the other dvd's. I'm doing Crossfit now, but i see a lot of their plyo stuff is similar to some Crossfit stuff, it's pretty cool. Crossfit is better for a busy mom like myself because it only takes 20-30 mins max, whereas p90x takes at least 45-60 mins.
    Love crossfit, but I'm going to give p90x a try for something different.... long workout but anything is more than what I have been doing.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

is it high impact on your knees? i've been thinking about buying it, but i need to treat my knees w/ tlc these days.

It looks really well done but I wonder- if you worked that hard just doing regular exercises 6 times a week, wouldn't you still get ripped?

Um...maybe. The idea behind P90x is that you can do it at home with very minimal equipment.

No matter what you do for exercise, you need some sort of programming and P90x is something that has worked for a lot of people...at least until they get bored out of their minds with it or decide that looking ripped isn't their first priority.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Another reason I'm using it (and maybe the primary reason). I can't stand going to the gym when its nice outside 90% of the time here in CO. With this program, I get up before work, walk downstairs and do the workout in my basement in an hour.
    Yeah- most of my friends are Ultimate players- 3 hours of sprinting a week is fun, but it doesn't help with upper body. This fills in the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    is it high impact on your knees? i've been thinking about buying it, but i need to treat my knees w/ tlc these days.
    Not usually, maybe some of the leg stuff could be (for me some of it was) They have 3 other people besides the main guy in the videos and they show you all variations, so you can ease up on what might hurt or bug your knee.

What equipment do you need to get the most out of this program? I'm not asking what the bare minimum is, but rather what do I need to have to get the MOST out of it?

I gather a doorway pullup bar, but what else? Do I need a rack of dumbells or will just a few dumbells do (I have some 35's and some 25's)?
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

I have free weights ranging from 5-25 lbs and did fine. I'd suggest more for the dudes though.
    Yoga mat. If you aren't flexible, a yoga block is really nice to have.
    Pull up bar
    I also used the bands instead of weights sometimes, that worked well.

That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLionfish View Post
    I remember there being a thread about this awhile back, but I couldn't find it... So sorry if this is a repeat. Does P90x really work? I have kind of plateaued in my workout, and have heard great things about this, and am ready to pay for it. But can some people vouch for it? Thanks
    It hurts at the beginning - then - its a workout. I think it works great. The wife does a couple of videos every morning before work. I try to stay on it and use the videos when I can. They are intense to say the least.

P90X is the new bow flex.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

Quote Originally Posted by Derider View Post
    P90X is the new bow flex.
    Yeah, except it doesn't cost $1500 and take up half your living room.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I did a full 90 day cycle of this July 2009-Oct 2009, then tried out some other programs and played around with a different rotation until ski season started. Definitely have a lot more energy and stamina while skiing compared to previous seasons. Didn't really gain or lose weight, but sure built muscle, total body fat went down ~7%, I saw a 30 point bump (in the right direction) in my good Cholesterol, and I am more flexible than I was in 2002 (if not ever). I did not take the supplements as suggested, however, I did drink a protein shake after each workout, in addition to trying to eat healthier, though not as healthy as I should be.

Technically your supposed to be 'out of' shape when you start the program, but I was just plain not in it and I believe I technically failed the fit test. First month was tough but I pushed through. I plan on starting another 90 day cycle once my ski season ends and am expecting even more results.

I bought a pull-up bar, push-up bars, yoga mat, yoga block (eventually needed it), and the Bowflex Select-tech dumbbells (50lb version). The dumbbells were expensive, however, if you price out a standard set in a variety of weights it will be closer than you think in price and not to mention take up a ton of space.

I would definitely recommend this program. Chicks dig a man who does yoga.

My details as they might pertain to the results above: Age: 31 (30 when started), Height 6'1", Weight 155-160lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    I talk to other people about it and I feel like a walking commercial.
    Same here.