Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I grew up in Farmington Hills (suburb) went to U of Michigan, graduated then left. To be honest, I don't really miss it. The suburbs are mostly nice but boring, and the city has been mad sketchy for many years. This isn't a recent development. As far as the state goes, Grand Rapids is becoming more of the center of the state. Ann Arbor is and will always be one of the best towns in the U.S. And northern Michigan is beautiful. So it isn't all bad news.

disclaimer: its late here and I've been drinking since 4

Quote Originally Posted by bigsugar View Post
    I have typed and deleted three different paragraphs trying to explain how I (and I suppose many others) feel about Detroit. It is difficult to put into words without sounding cliche. I do know that it irritates me when people from other places (Chicago, for example) rag on Detroit for being poor, or dangerous, or dirty. I'm allowed to do that; I worked there and took care of the city's citizens for a while. You, Mr. gel-hair-poloshirt-attorney-from-north-of-chicago, you are not. The place has a soul that cannot be denied. I doubt it will ever be as prosperous as it once was, but it's not going to just fade away either.
    word. pretty much sums it up...shitty place but its like a sister, only allowed to talk shit if you're related.

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    I grew up in Farmington Hills (suburb) went to U of Michigan, graduated then left. To be honest, I don't really miss it. The suburbs are mostly nice but boring, and the city has been mad sketchy for many years. This isn't a recent development. As far as the state goes, Grand Rapids is becoming more of the center of the state. Ann Arbor is and will always be one of the best towns in the U.S. And northern Michigan is beautiful. So it isn't all bad news.
    i.e. you grew up with money and never really experienced the city? Grand Rapids is pharma-industry yuppy shit (I went to wmu), AA is a city funded by out-of-staters sending their kids to medical school. weak. also I thought the "like a boss" sketch was gay, and my douchebag manager quotes it on repeat. you're sound like the type of suburb friend I would make a point of ditching before we went downtown.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Lots of Lebanese too, right? They're no dummies.

Klinger was lebanese, wasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    Grand Rapids is pharma-industry yuppy shit (I went to wmu)
    Good thing you've been drinking cause you be wrong. You went to school 60 miles south in Kalamazoo (Upjohn and Phizer). Grand Rapids was heavily invested in the tool and die industry as well as furnature (Steelcase, Herman Miller, Hayworth, and Baker) and education (Grand Valley, Aquinas, Calvin, GRCC, Davenport...). It has since also moved heavily into the medical field, but definitely not the pharma side.

Born and raised in the NW Suburbs of Detroit. Folks still live there. Grandfather owned a fence company in the city from the 1920s until his passing in 2002. Great city with some underlying issues and one person to blame for its demise: Colman A. Young.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Old stadium was tore down last summer, the new one, Comerica Park, is actually pretty nice.
    Are you implying Tiger Stadium sucked, because those are fightin' words! I loved Tiger Stadium. I just don't think Comerica has anywhere near the appeal.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1oOdiTo1yE"]YouTube- It's So Cold in the D (Clean)[/nomedia]
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

word. pretty much sums it up...shitty place but its like a sister, only allowed to talk shit if you're related.

i.e. you grew up with money and never really experienced the city? Grand Rapids is pharma-industry yuppy shit (I went to wmu), AA is a city funded by out-of-staters sending their kids to medical school. weak. also I thought the "like a boss" sketch was gay, and my douchebag manager quotes it on repeat. you're sound like the type of suburb friend I would make a point of ditching before we went downtown.
    Am I to understand that you are repping Detroit so hard from 4,000 miles away in Anchorage, AK? Awesome man. Pour some liquor out for me and all the suburban kids who never experienced the city in the hardcore fashion that you have. If I change my handle to "Arithmetic" or "Calculus" can I be hard like you?

My grandfather was president of Detroit Edison back in the 50's. They had a really nice house off of 7 mile when he died in the 60's. Gram's wouldn't leave and by the time she died in the 80's, it was a slum.

I pretty much agree. GR, like anywhere else has its blue collars, but for the most part it's Birmingham/Bloomfield/Grosse Pointe of the west. A2 easily has the best economical situation of anywhere in the state because of the out of state students. It's cool though, just the way it is.

Like A Boss - shut the fuck up. arguing about who is harder or reps the D better is stupid and why half the problems amongst people there occur. obviously, you, i and mathboy left for a reason.

For the record: the First and last word in Coney Islands is Lipumas. Done.

I couldn't agree more about the analogy of the D and your ugly sister. Spot on.

and Rontele, Coleman just got the ball rollin, L Brooks was pretty eager to go along( and say fuckoff) for twenty years or so. And more recently R. Wagoner and his highpaid band of dipshit malfeasance managers at the largest corporation in the world should certainly get some credit. F'n James R Hoffa too for over building the strength of the teamsters. anyways if we want to talk detroit mayors, kwame is more interesting
    one step forward, no step backward

Quote Originally Posted by allTandA View Post
    For the record: the First and last word in Coney Islands is Lipumas. Done.
    Yes yes and more yes...
    Ill tell tony you said hi...
    Buy nice things here.
    www.motorcityglassworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    Am I to understand that you are repping Detroit so hard from 4,000 miles away in Anchorage, AK? Awesome man. Pour some liquor out for me and all the suburban kids who never experienced the city in the hardcore fashion that you have. If I change my handle to "Arithmetic" or "Calculus" can I be hard like you?
    You could change your name to Barry the Baptist and you'd still be one of those rich kids afraid to go further south than Royal Oak. Honky.

Agreed on Coleman Young...downtown people mover = stupid ass idea. Kwame is definitely cream of the crop for corrupt detroit mayors though. Love the bit in Robin Williams new standup on him.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

I own a Detroit Lions hats. Two of them in fact.

and I'll always appreciate growing up watching barry sanders run. greatness, like MJ.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres