Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone Live in Detroit?

I keep seeing more and more vid's, youtube whatever of how fckn bad it is there. Is it really that shitted up and destitute?

I think people still exsist in Motown, but I don't think they do much living.

it's COLD in the D

Moved out of Michigan in August after living there for 6 years. Moved in on the tail end of the high and out at what I hope was the low. I never met anyone that actually lived in Detroit. Everyone lives in the surrounding subs. There are areas that have been fixed up and are nice, but there are alot more areas that look like war zones. It is not one of those places you would want to be driving around lost looking for directions to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    it's COLD in the D
    ^^^^almost 80 dg. today.
    one step forward, no step backward

I thought Detroit was like Atlantis, Gommorah or any other lost city/place they look for on those History Channel shows. It is believed that at one time they existed, but no one is sure anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Evr'y month I receive a very high-end, large format magazine called Hour Detroit, which paints that shithole as quite cosmopolitan and center of culture, art, and cuisine. It's a very nice pub and I guess they want me to advertise in it to metropolitan Detroit and it's urban gentry.

But they can't fool me...

I wonder if someone has prepared a report on the cost/resources it would take to permanently close Detroit and give the land back to the environment. Kind of like a mine waste pond, but an even larger scale.

kinda like how Chernobyl is slowing become a radio active animal sanctuary?

http://machete.gummyprint.com/the-ab...ipyat-ukraine/
    "So what's a homeless instructor do? Teach people how to build houses outta cardboard boxes and build good trash fires?" - Phuckhuck

grew up north of detroit in the suburbs, spent a good amount of time there. yes, it's run down and crime-ridden and yes, the economic state is poor, but damn i love that place. for how dead it is, it still has a part that is alive. that part fights hard, and i have never seen such a strength in a group of people. it's pretty cool.

and, the local music there is still awesome.

...glad i moved though. finished my undergrad in '08 and got the hell out pretty soon after (thank god for colorado). it's ridiculous how many of my friends don't have/can't find decent jobs, and how many of my family friends have lost theres/been forced into retirement. easily 40% of the kids i grew up going to school with's parents worked for GM. sad state of affairs...

my opinon: reconciling the auto industry crisis (buy american) would be great, but we can't hold onto it and not think it's going to be the bread and butter again. it's a thing of the past. there needs to be a large industry that capitalizes on cheap property/old buildings/factories and cheap labor. hollywood has set up shop around detroit (huge tax breaks) and is doing good things, but it's such a closed-door industry that there is virtually no hope for joe factory worker.

really though, michigan is a cool place. super diverse, lots of natural beauty and a lot of truly good people.

I think the real question is are the hookers and blow as fucked up as the city?
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

M-22--> Lapeer Rd? it's been a while.

anyhow, I am with GST. grew up in n oakland co. Been out for 18 years. I always say it's a great place to be FROM!

The "D" definitely gets a bad rap. Aside from a super duper schitty economy and gross amounts of racism its really not such a bad place, for a mid-eastern metropolitian area.

I would rank it ahead of cleveland and baltimore, but behind chicago. Good place to eat all sorts of ethnic food and become a fat sedentary alcoholic with heart disease. Killer lake lifestyles abound. Good history.
    one step forward, no step backward

Born & raised in Detroit, between Farmington & Harper Woods. Still have a ton of family there and I generally go back atleast once or twice a year.

Economically its a shithole...most of my friends that didnt move out have shit jobs, and are just happy to have a job at all. I've read articles saying the economy will recover in 5 yrs...more like 15 before any real industry develops enough to fill the shoes of automotive. Property values are even worse, my parents house should've been worth $300k or so when they moved to CO a few years ago, but equal houses on their street were selling for $120k. They're still renting it out hoping property value will still go back up. Same deal with my sisters place in Harper Woods, her and her hubby bought it right out of college for $140k, right now they couldnt sell it for $35k.

All that aside though I've never been to another place in the US where people have such stubborn pride in their city. Good sports teams (minus the lions), good music, good food. Theres a local culture there alot of other big cities don't have. I miss going to the eastern market downtown, or catching beers at the comet before a tigers game. If there was decent work there and large mountains nearby I'd move back today. Love that place.

Quote Originally Posted by deliberate View Post
    I wonder if someone has prepared a report on the cost/resources it would take to permanently close Detroit and give the land back to the environment. Kind of like a mine waste pond, but an even larger scale.
    The current mayor (Dave Bing) has drawn up plans to demo large tracts of abandoned housing & re-seed them with trees in an effort to make the more run down part of the city green, as well as implementing a light rail system that would connect more of the money out in the suburbs with downtown. Last I read though he needed federal funding to make that happen as Detroit has nowhere near enough on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    Evr'y month I receive a very high-end, large format magazine called Hour Detroit, which paints that shithole as quite cosmopolitan and center of culture, art, and cuisine. It's a very nice pub and I guess they want me to advertise in it to metropolitan Detroit and it's urban gentry.

But they can't fool me...

Old stadium was tore down last summer, the new one, Comerica Park, is actually pretty nice. Shame about the old railroad station though, architecturally that building is amazing, and has a ton of history. Maybe someday someone will come in & clean out the crackheads.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Quote Originally Posted by allTandA View Post
    M-22--> Lapeer Rd? it's been a while.

M-24 is Lapeer rd. M-22 is up north somewhere I think.

I live in the city limits. Yes it is a shit hole. I think New Orleans is worse.

It's very sad but I don't see it ever turnig around.
    its the whisky talking

Lived in Southfield for a while after college and worked as a medic in and around Detroit. Interesting place. Love the sports culture, and there is a lot of good food to be had.

Yes, it is a pretty messed up place right now. But like all people who have spent time there, it holds a special place in my heart.

I have typed and deleted three different paragraphs trying to explain how I (and I suppose many others) feel about Detroit. It is difficult to put into words without sounding cliche. I do know that it irritates me when people from other places (Chicago, for example) rag on Detroit for being poor, or dangerous, or dirty. I'm allowed to do that; I worked there and took care of the city's citizens for a while. You, Mr. gel-hair-poloshirt-attorney-from-north-of-chicago, you are not. The place has a soul that cannot be denied. I doubt it will ever be as prosperous as it once was, but it's not going to just fade away either.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

I live here...

I live in Hamtramck... a small city... 2.3 square miles of an island completely surrounded by the city of detroit..

Detroit is a pretty cosmopolitan place...
    There are a shitload of different cultures here...
    56 different languages are spoken in Hamtramck public schools...

As far as jobs go... it sucks here...
    As far as nightlife and shit to do... it never ends...

Im lucky... Ive got some money saved up...
    I can leave if i want...
    But with the economy so bad... it might be a good time to buy in..
    Certain businesses like bars... and coney islands will always make money no matter what...

If you are a working stiff... detroit will be the death of you...
    If youve got some money... Buy a couple houses for 5K a piece and rent them out...

Some people get rich when the economy is bad...
    I hope im one of them
    Buy nice things here.
    www.motorcityglassworks.com

And...showing a couple pics of run down buildings in detroit and thinking that is what its like...
    Is similar to thinking all of Africa is full of starving babies with bugs crawling on their faces...
    Buy nice things here.

You can buy a house for $5k?
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    You can buy a house for $5k?
    I know someone who bought a 3500 sq ft industrial space for $1700 2 weeks ago...

Lots and lots of tax repo's....

In my neighborhood... you can buy a bar lock stock and barrel... and liquor license for 100K ish....

Edit for: you might be a lil sketched out by the neighborhood though... but if my memory serves me... you spent some time in iraq... its similar... Lots of iraqi people too...
    Buy nice things here.

Quote Originally Posted by A-wreck View Post
    I know someone who bought a 3500 sq ft industrial space for $1700 2 weeks ago...

Lots and lots of tax repo's....

In my neighborhood... you can buy a bar lock stock and barrel... and liquor license for 100K ish....

Edit for: you might be a lil sketched out by the neighborhood though... but if my memory serves me... you spent some time in iraq... its similar... Lots of iraqi people too...
    I know about the Iraqi's there. One of my interpreters that I worked with lives there now. Just have a little money to invest and the idea of buying some houses for $5k is interesting.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    I know about the Iraqi's there. One of my interpreters that I worked with lives there now. Just have a little money to invest and the idea of buying some houses for $5k is interesting.
    Gotta keep your eyes peeled... they move fast
    Buy nice things here.

Lots of Lebanese too, right? They're no dummies.

Lebanese too...
    The only place on earth that has more middle eastern people than Detroit is.... the middle east..

Mt neighborhood is Polish.. Yemeni.. Bengali.. albanian.. bosnian.. serbian.. uki.. and everything in between.

Im bartending right now,,,
    And im drinking with two muslim dudes...
    One is Yemeni and one Bengali..
    Only in detroit
    Buy nice things here.