Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thats really good JM! Thanks for posting!!

Quote Originally Posted by SV_PowDay View Post
    Andy-

A pretty sick recap of the days I got to fly with you. I'm pretty stoked I got to take a look at the pics, names & descriptions.

I was able to throw together a vid of the late April week:
    YouTube- 2010 Alaska Heli Adventure

enjoy.

-JM

Marv says... YESSSSSS!!!

That was an amazing video of what looked like one hell of a trip. Thanks so much for posting!

I have to ask, though... that looks like about exactly my speed in terms of what I'd be looking to ski if I ever went up there. Definitely not too mellow, which would be my big fear after paying a whole big wad... Any tips on how to make that happen (other than the obvious "hope for good weather and good snow"...)? Did you know those groups? How did they size you guys up? Looks like some fairly strong skiers there, so did you just get lucky?

I assume you've been up there a time or two before, so I'm guessing you like their system and their set-up... Have you tried any other ops?
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Thumbs up

OH MY GOD!

Wait, What???

Is it just me, or are there tracks going straight down that face off of that gigantic-ass cliff?
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

Quote Originally Posted by SV_PowDay View Post
    Andy-

A pretty sick recap of the days I got to fly with you. I'm pretty stoked I got to take a look at the pics, names & descriptions.

I was able to throw together a vid of the late April week:
    YouTube- 2010 Alaska Heli Adventure

enjoy.

-JM
    Wow! Great job on that video! Just throw together huh?
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLionfish View Post
    Wait, What???

Is it just me, or are there tracks going straight down that face off of that gigantic-ass cliff?

Not sure where you're talking about. That description can be used pretty much everywhere in AK.

This what you're talking about?

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Week 3

After a couple down days we got out for a partial day on Monday. It was a pretty milky, flat light kinda day so no pics were snapped. 2+ feet of new snow had fallen and it was a bit thick to ski through but when I stepped off the skis, boom, sunk right to the waist. Some great pow turns were had, found some variable crusty stuff too, mostly as we got lower.

But it got cold overnight and the next day was bright & blue.

First turns of the day on X Rated

Scoring some AM Pow

Then it was time to up the angle a bit. About halfway down Oz.

Looking back up Oz

Oz pow turn

More Oz

Last edited by powpig; 04-11-2010 at 12:10 PM.

After working that area hard, we headed back to The Worm.

Looks like only 1 track comin' outta Ate The Worm. That was a whole lotta fun!

Unfortunately for me, my group ran outta gas and wanted to ski mellow angle pow rather than step it up. The sting of missing out was lessened a bit as the light went flat and the plug got pulled.

A couple more down days followed so we made the most of it and had a BBQ.

When we got out again on Friday, it was windy and the light was not so good, so we were limited on where we could land. Not a good day for pics either. It even began to snow at the top of the last run.

Some AK tree skiing

But Saturday was again bright & blue. We found good snow up by the Cordova Glacier on Bullseye & Targhetto. My group was staying for another week so we got to stay out for the whole day while others got shuttled back early to go to the airport. In the afternoon when there were just 2 groups left, we moved up to Magic Bus. Was a bit steeper than the group felt comfortable on, so no one was anxious to go first. Except me.

We then moved over to the Pontoon Film Wall for a couple short ones to finish off the day.
    A tight landing up the ridge

Thanks to JMack for another great week. 4 more days & 27 more runs brings my tally to 11 days & 85 runs so far! WOW!!!

well fuck me blue.

what a trip.
    but the PM gears splatulas...they look like you would be skiing with skins on with that base...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Andy, great week!!! You killed it. I was stoked to get to ski together, so fun when every thing lines up, weather, group and conditions. Sounds like you are going to get a little more in Tahoe, spring skiing looks like it on.

My mega-boner just gave me a high five, first time that's ever happened. Sick TR!
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Thanks for posting Andy!

Finally a bit of time to look through my pics so here's what I got for

Week 4

Three stormy down days started the week but Wed dawned blue so out we flew, straight to Max's. We didn't find exactly what we expected. All the new snow had bonded poorly and there was a lot of action. Everything was sliding, we would ski a lot of bed surface today. It wasn't moving too fast so a lot of the time if we ski'd fast enough, we could be down and out of the way before it all came cascading down, but without fail, each and every run in South Funkytown, Ridiculous/Mixmaster & Full Support Valleys would be a mess of rubble at the bottom after just a few skiers hit it. We moved to the flatter mini-golf area, South Bubby's Island to finish the day and just ski some pow. Only pic I managed to get this day was looking down Oz, we got sloppy seconds in there.

The next day the decision was made to give The Worm an extra day to settle so we headed north to ski some flatter pow runs in the Bullseye/Targhetto area. Since this would be a leisurely day, one of the guys in my group brought along his speedwing.

We did manage to get on one big run, The Funnel was the highlight of the day. Unfortunately no pics, as it's kinda nestled in a corner and impossible to get a shot of except from the air.
    We found some shorter steep shots at the end of the day, here's a couple of JL preparing to launch.

My last day, we headed back to The Worm and hit up all the old favorites. In my previous 3 weeks, everyone was taking lotsa pics and we swapped 'em all, this week no one really seemed to snap happy including me so not a lot of pics to choose from.
    Quinner suggested we could ski all the way to the foot of The Worm Glacier, a first for me, here's a couple looking back up.

That's Donkey Kong right up at the top

Donkey Kong close up

The snow was very good today, it had settled nicely. The wind picked up as the day went on and that limited our ability to land on the ridgetop of Buddy Love but we still made 4 runs from the shoulder, and a couple on Ate The Worm plus 1 on Donkey Kong and 2 others. 25 more runs for the week. About 20 min after the heli landed I was on my way to the airport and homebound.

What an incredible 4 weeks!
    Every time the legs would get tired, it would cloud up and storm.
    I never ski'd more than 3 days in a row.
    Every time I started to get restless, the skies would clear and we flew.
    I never sat more than 3 days in a row.

I ski'd 14 days and 110 runs!!

Huge thanks to Kevin & Jessica, my guides Ben, Kip, JMack & George, to pilots Jason, Ken & Eric, and to all the PNH staff & crew.

The bar has been set high, can't wait to get back up there next year and try to top it!

That is awesome! How much does something like this set you back in total?

oh my god...
    Talking shit about a pretty sunset.

Robbo- You can get it for under $4500. That includes everything except your airfare. Its the Chugach. The place that holds the world record for total snowfall in a season.

Yeah, but what would 110 runs cost?

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Yeah, but what would 110 runs cost?
    $4500 X 4 ????? Damn son!
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Quote Originally Posted by PointsNorth View Post
    Robbo- You can get it for under $4500. That includes everything except your airfare. Its the Chugach. The place that holds the world record for total snowfall in a season.
    THanks for the reply. How many days heli would that include?

3 big days days. Not to turn this into a promotion...you can go most anywhere in AK for around that price and average 8 runs a day.