View Poll Results: to be ski or not to be ski

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

64 86.49%
  • no

10 13.51%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    For that matter, these two lines look worth checking out as well.

Who cares? Noah Wanted to get after it, they crushed it, and they had fun. End of story. Don't need a discussion if it was skiing or not.

What else is there to talk about?

Quote Originally Posted by otter View Post
    Who cares? Noah Wanted to get after it, they crushed it, and they had fun. End of story. Don't need a discussion if it was skiing or not.
    Amen

No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Corest to the Morest View Post
    Park skiing is skiing.
    Yep... that's what I said. Sweet, we agree! (although i don't think you realize it yet)

If you ride your skis down the hill at the resort, strictly because you'd rather not walk, I have to wonder what you're doing at the top of a ski lift to begin with.
    Me too. I don't recall us discussing why people ski though. I'm happy to talk about that if you like. It's really interesting. I don't quite know myself, but I do it ALOT.

Stupid, as you used it there, is an adjective, not a noun.
    Touche. I meant to say, and I thought it was clear by the context, but I guess not: "a stupid activity which is not skiing." Sorry, I was a math major.

And since you've resorted to pointing out my low post count (and referring to the post you spent 6 paragraphs replying to as a 'potshot') I can only assume you're out of ideas for continuing this conversation. Nice talking to you.
    You looked for a loophole or loose end in my definition and tried to exploit it (which I might say didn't work) rather than constructively engage in a discussion to try to shore it up. That's what I'd call a potshot

Idiot.
    I'd also call that a potshot. Anything else?
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

This thread is part of what's wrong with the interweb discussion thing.

Plinko was nothing but a shit-heaping dose of absolute WIN.

Exactly.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Quote Originally Posted by smuggs View Post
    just trying to provoke semi intelligent conversation
    try harder

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post

i'll second that. I was interested in the first post by corest to the morest, and also straight chuter though... i'm happy to hang up Plinko in the "it was skiing" category and also call it TR of the year (the latter of which I've already said in his thread), but the discussion is still interesting to me. where is the line exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    Yep... that's what I said. Sweet, we agree! (although i don't think you realize it yet)

Me too. I don't recall us discussing why people ski though. I'm happy to talk about that if you like. It's really interesting. I don't quite know myself, but I do it ALOT.

Touche. I meant to say, and I thought it was clear by the context, but I guess not: "a stupid activity which is not skiing." Sorry, I was a math major.

You looked for a loophole or loose end in my definition and tried to exploit it (which I might say didn't work) rather than constructively engage in a discussion to try to shore it up. That's what I'd call a potshot

I'd also call that a potshot. Anything else?
    Dude... you replied to my post - not the other way around. Not only that, but you replied to suggest that skinning up a peak and skiing/rappelling down shouldn't be considered 'travel'. Irony much?

Plinko is fucking awesome skiing, period. Glad to see we agree.

Exactly. We live in the Wasatch, a small place. It's fun to screw around in the mountains with ropes and shit......

Quote Originally Posted by StraightChuter View Post
    For that matter, these two lines look worth checking out as well.

Yo brah, why all the squiggly lines? Open it up a bit, no need to turn so much, just point it.

I'm done responding to you corest. You clearly didn't even read what I wrote. I would break it down, but what's the point? I guess Yossarin is right... why do we even bother discussing stuff in here?

I really would love to hear from real pros about where they think the line is, but that's not going to happen at this rate.

I'm done responding to you corest. You clearly didn't even read what I wrote. I would break it down, but what's the point? I guess Yossarin is right... why do we even bother discussing stuff in here?

I really would love to hear from real pros about where they think the line is, but that's not going to happen at this rate.
    If you want to read what the guy thought of the line, read his post. It's skiing. If you really want to lay your asinine argument on him, send him a PM.

There's nothing that more clearly indicates frustration than the "I'm not going to reply to you" reply. Don't sweat it though. Not only do I understand what you're saying, I expect I've got a better handle on it than you do.

queue the "CttM is on your ignore list" post.

Plinko is hardly the first time this topic has come up in the history of ski mountaineering and it is always an interesting discussion. I'd consider Plinko a ski line, but if someone rapped straight down Devils Castle with skis on I probably wouldn't. To me, it is all a matter of degrees and intention. If you think it might be a good ski line but after trying it it turned out to be tons of rapping and downclimbing, it is still a fun adventure, but maybe not the classic descent you were hoping for. You never know until you go.

Plinko is hardly the first time this topic has come up in the history of ski mountaineering
    old bullshit is still bullshit; being old doesn't make it any less so.

old bullshit is still bullshit; being old doesn't make it any less so.
    Except for a few Terminally Grounded Retards, I didn't get the feeling anyone was dissing Plinko.

Except for a few Terminally Grounded Retards, I didn't get the feeling anyone was dissing Plinko.
    People don't even read on here. Don't be offended.

Quote Originally Posted by nohow View Post
    So you are probably thinking, is this even skiing? The answer is yes, it is skiing because we have skis on.

agree. you've missed my point I think. no ill-will here, just general pet peeve of mine...

was trying to say that just because people have been pulling this shit ever since widespread publication of skiing/climbin/surfing/etc began -

- e.g. is it a descent if you don't ski from the summit? is it 5.12c or 5.12d? does it count if I used aid? what if I had to take my skis off to climb over one rock? -

- doesn't make it any better.

My point was that just because people have had this convo before doesn't justify having it now. It was a shit way to approach a badass happy fun time adventure then, and it's equally shit now.

I'll say it one more time a different way.

A bunch of people making the same dumb mistake in the past doesn't make it less dumb just because there were A) a lot of them or B) they've done it before.

Actually, I can't think of a better way to utterly strip the excitement out of a BADASS adventure than jerking off from behind a CPU screen debating the particulars of "if it counts and if so, in which category?"

Holy bring me down batman. Leave the analysis for the workplace and important decisions like what to order at Five Guys with only $6.23 of change in our pocket. Sweet adventure, and sweet documentation of adventure. Lame that everything people do has to be categorized.

I'll give you guys two categories for Plinko.

FUCKING ILL and LOOKS LIKE A SHITTON OF FUN TO ME

How's that?

Go
    Do
    Be

well its a fun discussion, that has spawned thought from a broad spectrum of people. half of you are whinning about how it doesnt need to be discussed with rather large responses to the topic, which some may find funny.

Where's the "just huck it" part of the poll?
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

agree. you've missed my point I think. no ill-will here, just general pet peeve of mine...

was trying to say that just because people have been pulling this shit ever since widespread publication of skiing/climbin/surfing/etc began -

- e.g. is it a descent if you don't ski from the summit? is it 5.12c or 5.12d? does it count if I used aid? what if I had to take my skis off to climb over one rock? -

- doesn't make it any better.

My point was that just because people have had this convo before doesn't justify having it now. It was a shit way to approach a badass happy fun time adventure then, and it's equally shit now.

I'll say it one more time a different way.

A bunch of people making the same dumb mistake in the past doesn't make it less dumb just because there were A) a lot of them or B) they've done it before.

Actually, I can't think of a better way to utterly strip the excitement out of a BADASS adventure than jerking off from behind a CPU screen debating the particulars of "if it counts and if so, in which category?"

Holy bring me down batman. Leave the analysis for the workplace and important decisions like what to order at Five Guys with only $6.23 of change in our pocket. Sweet adventure, and sweet documentation of adventure. Lame that everything people do has to be categorized.

I'll give you guys two categories for Plinko.

FUCKING ILL and LOOKS LIKE A SHITTON OF FUN TO ME

How's that?

Go
    Do
    Be
    you really don't read do you? i don't think anyone here is seriously challenging whether or not plinko is/was skiing. we've all moved past that. I know I for one would like to get some more thoughts out of Noah, but if all he wants to say is that it was skiing because we had skis on, whatevs. it's not airtight, but we'll survive.

i think everyone who's still contributing to the discussion is more interested in what the line is between skiing and just being hooked to pro with skis on.
    Last edited by gpetrics; 03-31-2010 at 07:58 PM.

you really don't read do you? i don't think anyone here is seriously challenging whether or not plinko is/was skiing. we've all moved past that. I know I for one would like to get some more thoughts out of Noah, but if he says it was skiing, i respect his opinion.

i think everyone who's still contributing to the discussion is more interested in what the line is between skiing and just being hooked to pro with skis on.
    To answer that well put specific question - I personally draw the line at putting on skis. If you were straight climbing a 60* snow packed pitch like the one nohow photographed, you'd be wearing crampons. Skis = skiing. Crampons = climbing. In my demonstrably humble opinion.

Maybe we need a new 'Sidestepping and Rapelling' forum where we can post these sweet descents without people asking if it is skiing.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Just to clarify, I side slip the majority of the peaks I ski so I refer to my ski mountaineering adventures as "descending the mountain on skis" not "skiing". However, I still consider my accomplishment a "ski" of the peak.