Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales

June Turns in the Lower 48

Heading to CT with my Dad at the end of May to stay with my brother and family.

My brother's going to look after my Dad for the week so I can have some time off and go play.

I know it's a long way out, but best bets for turns early June please based on this season's snowpack. Day tours I'm guessing at that time of the year.

Thanks in advance.

I would say the high sierra.
    Or the high cascades.
    I hope to god mammoth is still turning in june.

Thanks.

Will track those over the coming weeks.

Mt Washington, NH... with some luck.

2.5 hour hike up and down to snow, but you'll probably get to meet some of the most die hard skiers anywhere going for June turns.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Mammoth mini May 23.

Shasta.

Easy answer.

No close airports though. SFO is 4-5 hours or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Colorado usually has good skiing through June.

The east side of the Sierra willbe going off at that time. There is a very good chance Mammoth will still going early June, and a decent chance for
    latter in June.

Either way corn season will be peaking on the east side from Sonora
    pass on south.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Thanks all

don't let lowest 48 fools kid you, find a nice volcano, some even have real nice lift service in june. easy way to gain elevation without the slog. lodging should be simple, airport access only minutes away from 3 big ones, simple washington logic.

You talking Oregon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    You talking Oregon?
    Lift-accessed volcanoes = Mt. Hood in Oregon and Mt. Baker in Washington. If we're talking U.S., at least. Although I'm not sure how late Baker usually runs lifts.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Lift-accessed volcanoes = Mt. Hood in Oregon and Mt. Baker in Washington. If we're talking U.S., at least. Although I'm not sure how late Baker usually runs lifts.
    Contrary to popular belief the Mt Baker lifts aren't usefully close to the Mt Baker volcano.

June turns = State of Washington or Montana. No question.

Helldawg Guest
    Snowbird (prolly weekends only), Mammoth, Tucks (meh...) and the above mentioned PNW spots.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Contrary to popular belief the Mt Baker lifts aren't usefully close to the Mt Baker volcano.

June turns = State of Washington or Montana. No question.
    Isn't Montana having a shitty snow year?

My avatar photo shows Shasta in mid-June, which is in neither of those places.

Prime time for Shasta, Sisters, Hood, Adams, and other Cascade volcanoes. They will definitely have snow. Clear weather is the question, but your chances are pretty decent in June.

Best time of year to ski in Oregon. It would be pointless to fly all the way out and just ride lifts at Timberline. Save 40 bucks, skin for an hour or two and be at the top of Palmer, and then keep going another 4,000 feet. Then ski 5000 back down to your car. Then drive over to Adams and ski the SW chutes (~6000 foot descent, first 4500 of which is consistent ~38-40 degrees). If you were an animal you could do 10-15,000 feet in a weekend within 2 hours of PDX.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Isn't Montana having a shitty snow year?

My avatar photo shows Shasta in mid-June, which is in neither of those places.
    How's the snow been this winter?

Quote Originally Posted by powski3 View Post
    Prime time for Shasta, Sisters, Hood, Adams, and other Cascade volcanoes. They will definitely have snow. Clear weather is the question, but your chances are pretty decent in June.

Best time of year to ski in Oregon. It would be pointless to fly all the way out and just ride lifts at Timberline. Save 40 bucks, skin for an hour or two and be at the top of Palmer, and then keep going another 4,000 feet. Then ski 5000 back down to your car. Then drive over to Adams and ski the SW chutes (~6000 foot descent, first 4500 of which is consistent ~38-40 degrees). If you were an animal you could do 10-15,000 feet in a weekend within 2 hours of PDX.
    Got turned around on Adams one May many moons ago. Maybe time for a return. Thanks.

this was last summer but i skied alta and the bird through july. snowbird operates the tram and if one had skiis they charged 12 per ride. only 18 for a full day if no skiis. once the base of the mountain melted i camped at the base of great scotts and worked my snow stairs al day. for days on end i wore only ski boots and a swimming suit. last summer i did so much hiking and rock climbing to get to skiing i wore my ski boots down to nubs. they are one of my fav hiking and climbing boots now. any high elevation north face with a deep slot will keep a long time.

This was in June in NH

as was this

and this

prolly want to travel to California or Nevada or Oregon or Washington state instead... but if you decide not to here's some good hints
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

gpetrics - cool pics. you have the illness if you ski in fog and on granite...in june. how can you explain to the "well" the total experience of defying everything: the season, gravity, "common" sense, etc for a few stone ground turns? nice!

agree with earlier comments.
    Go to PNW, climb volcanos, ski sick 3k-5k ft runs of perfect corn.
    Start south, go north.

Thielson, Crater, Bachelor, Sisters, Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Ranier, Baker/Shuksan.

For min slog and travel (relatively speaking), fly to PDX, drive to Bend, do South Sister, then Hood, then Adams SW.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Great pics Greg. Check that fabulous photos.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Please keep them coming.

yossyfarian

its spelled RAINIER, and proudest of all

Chinook Pass, WA
    Inter Glacier above the White River campground, Sunrise, Mount Rainier National Park (MRNP). Dege Peak there too if we get a few more feet of snow.
    Tatoosh Range MRNP.
    Washington Pass, North Cascades Highway.
    Mt. Baker (no lifts in June), Shuksan. Table.
    W/BC will be spinning something.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<