advres Guest
    Because "the sky isn't the limit, the ground is."

I like this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by meatdrink9 View Post
    I like this thread.
    hahahaah

Quote Originally Posted by balderdash87 View Post
    Adrenaline?
    I like it when my heart starts pumping fast.
    Being scared isn't always a bad thing. Especially when you stomp whatever scared you in the first place.
    I like to think I can fly.
    Tunnel vision is kinda cool.
    Ten four.

You CAN fly. I have, as a hang glider pilot who crashed and was paralyzed by it, I can't easily now. But I sure as hell flied like a bird. In some places like Cerro Gordo, you can fly all day long, covering nearly two hundred miles in a round trip, and land right where you took off. You get there using only your muscles, the wind and your wings do the rest.

I used to huck modestly, about 30' max, did gelande, and it was as fun and inspiring as anybody says. I'll do it again as a monoskier, not so high.

Hell yes.

To make myself go over the edge.
    To try to land (the most intense split second, make or break, physical thing I can think of).

I like Woodskier's answer, solid.

I dont actually know, but I am addicted. At 35, I still jump something virtually ever run I ski. I dont care if it is a 3 foot airplane turn, I choose all runs based on airs. My entire training plan is to deal with that split second intense landing. I dont know what my problem is, but I am an addict.
    Donjoy to the World!

Because I want people to say "that was cool" and "radical" perhaps followed by a "kickass" and a high five
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

if I'm not crashing, I'm not on the edge, and if I'm not on the edge, what the fuck is the point?
    i was normal for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    I dont actually know, but I am addicted. At 35, I still jump something virtually ever run I ski. I dont care if it is a 3 foot airplane turn, I choose all runs based on airs. My entire training plan is to deal with that split second intense landing. I dont know what my problem is, but I am an addict.
    zactly!!

i play disc at kirkwood and zephyr all summer because there are rocks to jump off and fun lines to run (seriously). this probably will kill me eventually.

late summer and early fall are spent on hikes to new lakes to find new places to jump off things. it definitely is an addiction.

haven't grown the balls to jump big things on a mountain bike, and i really don't see that happening, but who knows.
    Last edited by powdork; 03-22-2010 at 01:10 AM.

straight up...

I used to huck a little because I thought I had something to prove to myself.

then at some point, I guess I proved whatever it was that I needed, and now I'm good.

It's still fun though, but I don't air that much anymore unless conditions are really good.

I'm glad I never got completely addicted to it.

How esle am I supposed to get my tits wet?

I mean, it's not like the drops are HUDGE out here, but fkna I'll be damned if they aren't the biggest adrenaline rush on the hill. Mix in steep & tight treed-up runouts or narrow cruxes/chutes and whatnot underneath and they become a large multiplier for the overall equation of the radness of the trail, i.e.- it would be sick anyways but with a mandatory drop it's the tittyballs. That and it's so hard to keep your form good in the air- knees bent, hands out front etc... So many people get caught rolling down the windows or reffereeing the landing, and I love forcing myself to control it...

I like it because it's a test and a challenge to do it better each time.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I huck therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    straight up...

I used to huck a little because I thought I had something to prove to myself.

then at some point, I guess I proved whatever it was that I needed, and now I'm good.
    someone once told me that there never really was anything for us (and he included himself ) to prove ...we were just being stupid

I do it because I like the occasional bad landing where you try to ram your beacon through your rib cage with your knees. Oh wait, that's why I stopped, that and cause I'm too fucking old for that shit. At my age it hurts even when you stick the landing unless its real fucking deep. But I used to do it pretty much for the same reasons the OP stated. To scare the fuck out of myself. There were also a few time when it was done for the camera or to impress some chick but usually I did it just for me.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Because it forces you to tell your yippity yappity self-talk to STFU for a few seconds and just fuckin do it. Hyper focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonshackle View Post
    Are you trying to prove you are a macho-man, sir?
    Do you enjoy the sensation of free-falling but balk at the price of sky-diving/BASE jumping?
    Does it give you access to poonani that would otherwise remain inaccessible to you?
    Are you testing the tensile strength of your new Lhasas, perchance?
    HAS SOMEONE QUESTIONED THE SIZE AND APPARENT EXISTENCE OF YOUR TESTICLES?!

I do it because I love what happens at the point of no return. Looking down/at the lip there are always a million thoughts rolling through my mind. What if what if what if... I always think of the wind lip that ended my season in Whistler. I wonder how deep the landing is. I get downright scared. Then that moment comes, the line is crossed, I go "fuck it", push off, and everything goes away. I am a million billion little atoms unattached.

Landing right-side-up is just a bonus.
    Poonshackle, I huck because its awesome. And yes it does give me access to poonani that I otherwise would have to work at. See my trip reports, you'll understand, gayper.
    My polez are P!NK, hence my name. It's not because I like weiner.

Spring Break 2010: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=188583

Spring Break 2009: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=155357

white women.
    Last edited by single; 03-22-2010 at 10:06 PM.

I huck because it scares me. I have jumped out of an airplane for the same reason. Same with cliff jumping into water. Getting your scare on. The adrenaline. It feels good. Does the rush out weigh the chance that you might end your season or worse, I really doubt it. Thats why you don't think about these things, you just blank your mind and fly off something with alot of speed, hope its soft, and hope that you land in a position that isn't going to hurt.

You know that feeling when you first get stable in the air, and you KNOW you're going to land right where you wanted to, and you KNOW you are solid enough to stomp it? You know the sound of the cheers of people standing below for the past 30 minutes as they saw you hiking up into that gnarly line?

Thats why I huck.

for the view...

...and the CLAIM!

I've always been a fan of catching air. Started jumping my bmx bike when I was still wet behind the ears, got into motocross and skiing around age 11, and fell in love with hudge rope swings somewhere thereafter. I just love the feeling of flying. I think that's why I was first attracted to park skiing when I was starting out. By the time I was 17 I had no fear of any jumps in the park, or other hucks on the mountain, and I thought I was a badass. Then I learned how to ski for real, and realized I sucked. I'm nowhere near as good at park as I used to be, but I'm 4x the skier I was.

Also wondering if I'm the only one that associates swimming with "jumping off of something into water, getting out and repeating." My gf seems to think this doesn't qualify as swimming, I disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

I think my favorite part is that point of no return. On a bike or skis or whatever. Right when you hit the point where if you hesitate or back out you are fucked....like in back to the future part three...the train bridge scene.

I love those blind hucks where you can't see shit underneath the drop. You just know the landing is relatively clear and go for it, and wait for re-entry. Seeing your landing zone underfoot after flying off w/ speed is way too exhilarating not too.

Tyrone got me thinking......there is more backstory (will try not to blog).

I was a chicken shit as a kid (like wouldnt even ride a rollercoaster) and not great at sports. Skiing is the one thing I was pretty good at. In college (at CU), skiing with people from around the US, I started to feel pretty confident. At the same time I started huck (in high school was just a bumper doing twister spreads ). People started to talk, "you are crazy" etc. It felt good....opposite of the feeling I had had my whole life being a puss. So, that is what drove me.......

Then later on, it just became fun. Now I dont think I have much to prove (as everyone at Squaw is better), but my favorite day in the world is going out with CP1 (only friend who still has a back which allows hucking) and just skiing from jump to jump. Damn it is scary and fun.
    Donjoy to the World!

why do you ski?

why do you huck?

same answer.

Cuz it's fun.
    Follow me on Instagram

brett.mcnary

I luv to fuck, chicks that huck !!!

We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...