Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Infiniti G37x, what are your thoughts?

Its about time to buy the wife a new car. Other car is FJ Cruiser. Want something good in snow and fast. looking to spend around $30k. Any owners on here? Would you buy again? Looked at the EX35 too, but they're kinda ugly and less gas mileage and horsepower. I am also intrigued at the possibility of the Acura TSX sportwagon due out this year, though I dont think its AWD, it should rock with some good snows.

Oh and I dont want a subaru and Audi's are for douchebags.

Quote Originally Posted by HikeforTurns View Post
    I am also intrigued at the possibility of the Acura TSX sportwagon due out this year, though I dont think its AWD, it should rock with some good snows.
    I would think that the sportwagon is the Acura version of the crosstour. I'm not a fan of purchasing the first year or a new model.......but Honda/Acura is a solid car. And the crosstour is available with AWD. I would think the Acura version will come standard (or at least have available) with the SH-AWD system that is in the RL/MDX/RDX cars. You could always take a crosstour for a spin.

I put about 2k miles on a brand new G37x rental last year when our Jeep got hit. Can't say anything really bad about it. It's plenty fast, got decent mileage, quiet. That said I couldn't see owning one. It was boring. Handling seemed numb. Interior was just a few plastic upgrades from an econobox. All my nice cars have been German so maybe it's a style thing. For $30k maybe but they're a lot more than that new.

Get a used BMW M3 if you want fast/fun/efficient for under 30k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...fCarsQ5fTrucks

I own a 2007 G35x. To me it is a fun and fast car. I have never owned or even driven a comparable German sport sedan so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. Have about 30K on it--no problems and I'd buy it again.

Got wife an m35x 2006 used a few years ago
    it's a great car and handles real well in snow
    we put continental xtreme contact and they are great in snow and sunny Cali drives
    super reliable and great power
    nicer than the g and more roomy
    but I have an fx and we are definatly brand loyal
    easy to maintain with minimal repair costs in two years
    mainly just change oil
    look at ones with 24-30 k miles and save a bundle, but still like new
    IMO they are great cars
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

If you can get a G37x for $30K, with tax, and not trashed/100K miles/etc., go for it.

I like that car.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    My Father has a g35x and it's one sweet car. Great value for a car of that caliber. Not sure exactly how the 37 varies.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

The TSX sportwagon will mostly be a rerelease from whats in Europe so not really a new model. I want to like the crosstour but I just cant get over the front end. The TSX should be a big improvement, as long as they dont go crazy with the stupid chrome beak

G35 vs G37 I believe the difference is a bit more HP, a little different styling and a 7 speed tranny.

The M3 or 335x would be fun for sure, but the wife is a bit anti BMW for some reason (maintenance $ ?). Also, we plan on driving it for quite awhile so starting low mileage would be good.

I like the M series Infiniti's as well (the new ones styling is $), we will have to test drive one for sure. It would have to be a good bit higher mileage or older to be in the G price range though.

Certified pre-owned BMW have no maintenance costs if you buy them at around 2-3 years old. It's BMW's thing about zero-maintenance. 335xi with cold weather package fits all of your bills (~$30k, heated side mirrors/headlight washers/seats, AWD, fast). Get your wife to test drive one. The perception that BMWs have high maintenance costs or are unreliable is false; buying an Infiniti, by virtue of buying a luxury car, is not going to "save" you maintenance. Also, the interior climate control for winter/summer and general handling is just better on the BMW.

On the other hand, it sounds like you very much favor the Infinitis, just buy what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by keipow View Post
    Certified pre-owned BMW have no maintenance costs if you buy them at around 2-3 years old.
    Riiiiiiight.

The perception that BMWs have high maintenance costs or are unreliable is false
    BMW pushes its used cars with a "no scheduled maintenance for ___ months" program. That would be scheduled maintenance, i.e., oil changes, maybe brakes .

Breakdowns outside of warranty = on your own dime.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Certified pre-owned BMW have no maintenance costs if you buy them at around 2-3 years old. It's BMW's thing about zero-maintenance. 335xi with cold weather package fits all of your bills (~$30k, heated side mirrors/headlight washers/seats, AWD, fast). Get your wife to test drive one. The perception that BMWs have high maintenance costs or are unreliable is false; buying an Infiniti, by virtue of buying a luxury car, is not going to "save" you maintenance. Also, the interior climate control for winter/summer and general handling is just better on the BMW.

On the other hand, it sounds like you very much favor the Infinitis, just buy what you like.
    Keipow - interested if you're a fan of BMW or are recommending the 335 by experience. I used to work at a BMW dealership in college, so I USED to have the inside info on models, what would go bad, what didn't, which ones were expensive etc, but that ended in 03 so now I'm pretty much in the dark...

I'm in the same position as HikeforTurns except I'll be in the market for a car in the next 12 months or so. I'm a hudge BMW fan as they are great cars, but the Infiniti G/M with AWD has my eye and the (now old) turbo engine from BMW in the 335 has me concerned about issues down the road...any experience/thought appreciated
    Before big games I shoot Rabies, it gives me the edge I need and it’s undetectable. Only idiot losers do steroids anymore...

Not necessarily. I will look a little closer at the 335, I think my neighboor has one. I should also mention that Ive only driven trucks and suvs so anything will be a hudge upgrade to what Im used to as far as performance and handling.

I guess Im just of the impression that the G will hold its value and be less expensive to repair (and less frequent) than the BMW? I plan on keeping it for 5-10 years. I need to talk with my neighboor.

El Chupacabra: You are right. What I referred to was scheduled maintenance, as well as wear and tear items like windshield wipers, brakes pads/disks, oil, etc. Real breakdowns are not covered. But I don't know of a car company that is going to do otherwise.

If you take a look at bimmer forums (the site), most modern 3 series owners have no real complaints against them, except the high pressure fuel pump failing. BMW has made good on them, and will replace them up to 10 years for free.

I've actually had the HPFP fail on me. The engine light just turns on, tells you to see a shop. The car felt like it had a bit less power, but was drivable without danger.

As for my past experience, I've owned higher end Nissan sedans in Asia, which are basically Infiniti. (Nissan mostly was using the Infiniti brand only in North America until recently.) Other cars I've owned include Mazda, Toyota, Lexus and several BMWs and a Subaru. In college, I bought a 10 year old, 110k mile 318i for $6500 and did most of the maintenance work on it. It was as reliable as the Miata. Maintenance costs and reliability were on par with the Toyota or the Mazda. (I keep track of every single maintenance cost for every car.) However, the BMWs were generally nicer to drive, and a joy to work on, like the Miata. They are just well-designed cars as far as I am concerned. Suppose that the maintenance costs were higher by 10~20%(which they are not for me), you get more car.

If you are aiming for real reliability, buy a Subaru or a well-reviewed Toyota, or even a Ford truck. The problem with BMW shows up in their very high end M models and whatever that's built in North America. (I know it seems to be blasphemy to not buy American, but we aren't talking about buying GM, are we?) On the other hand, because we are comparing higher end sports cars for performance and cost of ownership, BMW is a serious competitor.

All I am saying is, as with ski gear, try them out and buy what you like. Paying more, more often than not, gets you more.

Quote Originally Posted by HikeforTurns View Post
    Not necessarily. I will look a little closer at the 335, I think my neighboor has one. I should also mention that Ive only driven trucks and suvs so anything will be a hudge upgrade to what Im used to as far as performance and handling.

I guess Im just of the impression that the G will hold its value and be less expensive to repair (and less frequent) than the BMW? I plan on keeping it for 5-10 years. I need to talk with my neighboor.
    I have had/have two BMW's and both were/have been super reliable. The 335 coupe is a very apealing car to me, as I really like it's looks and it is a turbo that is easily modded to 400+hp I keep trying to like the G37 coupe, as it is a practical car with good hp and looks for $30k, but I just hate the dashboard area in the car. Plus, I just want a turbo coupe again. Luckily I have seen 07 997's TT in the $70k range lately. Just a few years for the mortgage business to come back and the kids graduate from college and I am buying one.

Edit: Look at this AWD, 6speed MT, 380hp 335xi. It is sweet. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
    Last edited by liv2ski; 03-21-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I can only speak about the Inifniti. I bought a 2006 G35X this year. It has the older body compared to the newer 37s. I did a fair bit of research and bought the G for a couple of reasons, primarily interior space (I am 6'6"), and reliability. It ranks very high in terms of reliability. It has serious pep which can be modded if you want.

The major gripe seems to be the brakes - they wear a bit faster than people would like. Very comfortable. With winters on I can not make it spin out unless I switch it to RWD and turn off the traction control. Whch bring me to the point: you can turn it into mostly a RWD car with the flick of a switch and turn off traction control.It merits a test drive IMO.

Good luck.
    Recently overheard: "Hey Ralph, what were you drinking that time that you set your face on fire?"

Have a 05 G35, we have a snow vehicle and the wifey's is the 35, and didn't need the all-wheel drive where we live for around town. That being said:

Like the Infiniti over the 335 and the Acura for interior space,I'm 6'5", and fit comfortably, a 3 series I'm not close without riding vato-style with one hand and a big head lean. The Acura never felt right to me, drives more truck like and has lots of blind spots.

We have had very few problems with ours, minor stuff mostly and anything that was beyond that fell under the factory warranty even though we bought used. Rubber is pricey but anything with the rim size and speed rating wil cost you. Engine size is more than most, gas mileage isn't great but not horrible, IMO. Have a friend who has an 06-G35x, good awd vehicle, but like anything that's an actual sedan, your not beating the snowplow but you'll get there with no problem.

Definitely my favorite car we've owned (excluding old cars), easy to drive, fun, good features, nice get up and go, and really reliable.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

Hugh Conway Guest
    The Volkl Racetiger of cars

Bump. Anyone have a photo of a g35 or 37 with ski racks and/or preferrably a rooftop box?

The perception that BMWs have high maintenance costs or are unreliable is false; buying an Infiniti, by virtue of buying a luxury car, is not going to "save" you maintenance. Also, the interior climate control for winter/summer and general handling is just better on the BMW.
    Maybe years ago. Not any more. They've done the typical German engineer your ass into a tight corner. Once things start going bad it's a cascade. High beams linked to speedometer that requires a $400-600 fix when the high beam sensor goes bad. Who the fuck ties a high beam light to a computer module controlling speedo and an odometer ??? If the water pump goes you've got maybe a minute or two before you warp the head, and then it never drives the same again.

They were great cars in the late 80's, but re styling and ridiculous engineering choices have made them less than the cars they were.

I hate saying this because driving a BMW is a friggin blast. You are locked to the road and the car is an extension of your hands, feet and senses. but I won't buy another unless I can un load it within 3 years of ownership.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by tsproul View Post
    I would think that the sportwagon is the Acura version of the crosstour. I'm not a fan of purchasing the first year or a new model.......but Honda/Acura is a solid car. And the crosstour is available with AWD. I would think the Acura version will come standard (or at least have available) with the SH-AWD system that is in the RL/MDX/RDX cars. You could always take a crosstour for a spin.
    When a new Honda/Acura comes out in the US, it's been out for a while everywhere else, so it's not really a first year product. Case and Point: The Acura TSX is basically a Euro Accord dressed up a bit.

Any love for the 4motion Passat wagon? those things whip.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

no. the whole reason i will likely go for the infiniti over the bmw is price and reliability. VW is not a good alternative IMHO

I think the G37 looks great. Never driven one.

My buddy has a G35 (rear drive) and loves it. I remember some story about it having one of the highest cost of repair for front end accidents.

My mother has a G35 and a friend has the X version. Nice cars. Kind of drink gas though (I guess that comes with the good acceleration). Its interesting that both my mother and my friend complain about the fuel economy though. Mom's Infiniti gets worse mileage than Dad's Lexus LS430.

I'm a big Honda/Acura fan. I like the looks of the Crosstour/ZDX. But I think that car is around $40-45K, no? If the TSX wagon comes with AWD, I can definitely see that being my next car. Agreed on the 1st year thing with Honda products. I had the first year MDX. It went 200K+ miles, but it did have some transmission issues - all in all I got my money's worth out of it and the problems were minimal compared to German cars I and friends have owned.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

what's the ground clearance on a g37, though? me thinks it would be dangerous on an FS road.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.