View Poll Results: Which weekend is better (pending the weather)

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • April 9-11

14 70.00%
  • April 16-18

7 35.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

EC Mini at Tucks

Getting the ball rolling on an EC Mini at Tucks. Never done it before, so I'm probably not the best person to be organizing, however, I took the initiative, so suck it. Two weekends are being targeted. I'm not sure we really want to plan this far in advance as weather up there can be pretty ugly at times, but the weekends are: April 9-11 and April 16-18.

My guess is that the plan would be to roll up late Thursday night, line up for a lean-to Friday morning. Hike up Friday during the day, check some stuff out and do some skiing, ski a bunch Saturday, ski more Sunday, and head out in time to make it out before dark. If anyone else wants to weigh in on if this is the best plan or not, that'd be great.

I know that I've gotten a few PMs and there were some posts in the EC Roll Call thread, so post that info/ideas here and lets get this thing going. You can vote for BOTH weekends if both will work for you.
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

FWIW - I'll be there with a Brock Landers and Best of Show the following weekend 23-25...
    Before big games I shoot Rabies, it gives me the edge I need and it’s undetectable. Only idiot losers do steroids anymore...

PearlJam, any chance of you moving that to the weekend of 23-25? I'd love to join you, but can't do the 18th and will just be coming back from JH for the 9th, although I can prob still swing it.
    if signatures were sausages, this would be the wurst

Theoretically, though I'd like to keep it where it is for 2 reasons: 1. We are getting rain up there next week and who knows how long the snowpack will hold, and on a more personal note 2. My dad is visiting from Arizona that weekend and I won't be able to go.

FYI: Tuckerman Inferno is on Apr 16-18. Unless you want to be in a crowd, I'd avoid that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    FYI: Tuckerman Inferno is on Apr 16-18. Unless you want to be in a crowd, I'd avoid that weekend.
    That should be the decision maker right there. You gotta decide what you want to do, ski and tick off lines... or party and drink in the sun. If you're trying to get a bunch of laps in I'd recommend avoiding the Inferno, but if you've never been up for it it's certainly an experience!

If you don't get there early on inferno day you'll be parking in Jackson. Also, conditions seem pretty choice right now... http://www.tuckerman.org/photos/tucks/

I would be up there if I had a pelvis, but I say this weekend or next would probably/possibly produce good conditions, limited crowds and less moguls/runlets.

I cant hit tucks until April 24th at the earliest. Late April or early May for me!

me, kruzdog and a bunch of nonmags are heading up for the day apr 24 too
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

In case you're interested in staying at the Joe Dodge Lodge in Pinkham, they're running a special rate for spring skiing ($45 with breakfast and dinner included). I think it's from the end of March to end of May. I can't find it on the AMC site but saw an announcement for it when I was up there recently to ski the Gulf of Slides. Also, if you want to ski the Sherburne in decent shape, do it before Inferno. Coverage may still be good but after the Inferno, the Sherb will look like your typical overused resort run.

North of South, South of North, West of East
    Also thinking of bringing the Southeast shit show up on the w/e of April 24-25
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

I am getting married in Jackson on the 17th. My bachelor's party is tentatively scheduled for tuck's on the 15th, and we may be skiing on sunday the 18th as well, depending on snow and hangover conditions.

Both Ms. Shred and I would be pleased to have more folks to ski with.

I will be there on the 10th. of April with 5 others. (non-mags) Driving up Friday. Only hiking and skiing on Sat.. Wildcat Sunday morning before a 9 hour ride home.
    Life is what happens between the things you plan.

totally down for the 9th through the 11th. Anyone coming up from the nyc area, let me know if you want to carpool.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    My bachelor's party is tentatively scheduled for tuck's on the 15th, and we may be skiing on sunday the 18th as well, depending on snow and hangover conditions.

Both Ms. Shred and I would be pleased to have more folks to ski with.
    That's awesome... I had mine there about 14 years ago!

I'm possibly down for 9th to 11th... who's bringing the pig?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

My schedule changed with work. Available April 9-11 and 17-18. Planning on going 9-11th, hoping to get some touring in on that Friday to avoid the inevitable shitshow.

I'll be up there for sure weekend of the 23-25th.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I would be up for the 18th weekend or the 23 weekend....
    always forward but never straight

Might be up there 4/10-4/11. Will watch this thread. Was looking at this Saturday too but not even sure what to think with this forecast. Mank and wet slides or stable and fun... not sure I've ever seen temps this high this early
    Uno mas

I'll be in the area this weekend, and am thinking about trying to get into Dodges early Saturday morning. Anyone interested in joining me??

JPH:

My buddies Adam and Jason and a couple of others also chuting for DD early Saturday morning. Adam will have Big Stix 10.6 and Jason BD Verdicts (I believe). Both tele skiers. I think they plan to start skinning pretty early. PM me if you want their email. Otherwise, just keep your eyes out for them.

I will be at Jay moving out of our crib most likely. Thinking this warm up should really thin 'er out so trying to squeeze in one last resort weekend. Really haven't gotten a decent day at Jay since March 6th. Been working during the week and was in UT for a stretch so would like to get one more Jay weekend under my belt then..... 100% focused on MW starting Monday. Will be up there both Saturday and Sunday of next week ma nature willing. Zones tbd.
    Uno mas

Ravine is gonna go early this year.
    Already showing signs of heavy melt around the headwall yesterday.

^^^ Been fearing this. As futile as it is to plan MW assaults in advance I am really hopeful weather cooperates next weekend as I already expect a huge variation in coverage between today and next Saturday.... not to mention a quickly rising snow line killing the run outs.
    Uno mas

the headwall was in tough shape from the rain last week. on friday someone fell nearly 30 feet into the waterfall his snowboard saved his life. it took about 40 minuets to fish him out.

head wall friday

EDIT:
    One man's lucky day April 2 2010
    Last edited by tylerjames; 04-04-2010 at 09:58 PM.

I've never been to tux or any other lines on Mt. Washington for that matter. Every time I plan a trip, the weather changes my plans. But I'm stoked to get up there this year hopefully.

The plan(weather permitting) is to leave Thursday night, and ski Fri, Sat, Sun. Anybody interested in meeting up or carpooling, shoot me a pm. Thanks.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"