Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Guy gets sweet deal on Dodge Challenger on ebay, now dealer tries to back out

Came across this on yotatech, and the whole 40-something pages are laid out here: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...s-29-1k-34598/

Who knows if this dealer can weasel his way out of this, but there seems to be some good pressure put on him from the internet community.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

$29,100.00 is a sweet deal for this car?

That's what they claim Looks like the list price is somewhere between 40 and 45k for the car.

Or you can always go by Punani's words of wisdom:

Don't
    Own
    Don't
    Get
    Ever
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

The SRT packages on Magnums and Grand Cherokees made them into Hot Rods, I guess an SRT Challenger would move right along, at least in a straight line.

That thing supposedly kicks serious ass, especially compared to the Ford Mustang and Chevy Camaro.

I guess I'm out of the loop on what sports cars cost, Because (to me) 29k seems to be right on target price wise.

If you paided 40k for that I'd say you got screwed.
    "Hold my beer...Watch this!"

The challenger srt was featured on one of the top gear USA specials (season 11?). They got it up to 150 in 1 mile in bonnieville. FAST.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I think the dealer may have a problem, as this is the dealer's disclaimer from the auction page:
    Disclaimer: This auction is a legally binding contract to buy this vehicle. All vehicles are sold as-is unless otherwise specified. I have done my best to accurately describe this vehicle. It is up to the buyer to come see and further inspect the car before the end of the auction.
    Also, the price is not so far off that a judge wouldn't say the dealer is SOL. But who's going to spend the coin to fight the dealer.

From browsing through the last couple of pages in the thread on challengertalk it sounds like the guy is trying to pick up the car today. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Isn't this what reserve prices are for?

Just saw the guy posted that he went down there with all the paperwork and the manager totally blew him off.

The dealer's disclaimer certainly cuts in the buyer's favor. The only thing they might be able to claim is that they made a mistake (by not putting a reserve and letting the car go for so low) and the buyer knew of that mistake and took advantage of it, and thus the contract is unenforceable. That's a long argument in my view though because $29K is still close enough to KBB value that it's not an obvious mistake. It's not like it was $500 or anything.

I would think that if the buyer gets a lawyer involved he should win this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

BMW dealership gets pwned for this in nebraska...
    http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/03/b...m3-sedan-to-e/
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    The challenger srt was featured on one of the top gear USA specials (season 11?). They got it up to 150 in 1 mile in bonnieville. FAST.
    It also handled for shit on the curvy road outside Vegas and got its ass handed to it by the Caddy and the Vette.

I still think it's a damn good looking vehicle, and way faster than anything I've ever owned.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Seems to me the dealer doesn't really understand the meaning of the word "auction."

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    It also handled for shit on the curvy road outside Vegas and got its ass handed to it by the Caddy and the Vette.

I still think it's a damn good looking vehicle, and way faster than anything I've ever owned.
    My wife saw one one day, and asked me what she had seen. This was before they were out. I researched it, and showed her. Guy in our neighborhood owned it- gunmetal grey with a perfect pinstripe in black. Soooo fast, and soooo nice looking. My wife described it perfectly,"It was like an old car, but new."

Edit- oh, and the Caddy and the 'Vette are just about the same car, and are at least double the price, used.

That's a dope looking car, and how many of you would actually drive a car to it's performance capabilities on a public road? LOL LOL LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

I'm almost positive they had the stock challenger on that Top Gear episode with the vette and the caddy. The SRT package includes a bunch of suspension work along with the engine work. If they had the SRT on it was in a different episode.

Blurred, of course no one's driving these to their full capacity, they're selling get-up-and-go and dreams, not just cars.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm almost positive they had the stock challenger on that Top Gear episode with the vette and the caddy. The SRT package includes a bunch of suspension work along with the engine work. If they had the SRT on it was in a different episode.

Blurred, of course no one's driving these to their full capacity, they're selling get-up-and-go and dreams, not just cars.
    Sorry, but I've always thought it was pathetic to see people driving really fast cars really slow, knowing they've never pushed the car to it's potential.

How about you have to drive a car at it's top speed before you can claim ownership? That would cut the machismo poser ratio in at least half.

That, and you have to average at least ten mph over the speed limit. Poke along at the speed limit or below and a couple guys with a flatbed truck and repo your fastmobile.

Gee, I thought flash cars were for getting pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    How about you have to drive a car at it's top speed before you can claim ownership? That would cut the machismo poser ratio in at least half.
    For realz. There's be like 500 people with sportbikes.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Sorry, but I've always thought it was pathetic to see people driving really fast cars really slow, knowing they've never pushed the car to it's potential.

I suggest this needs to be done on a closed course. Most of the jackasses that own these cars wouldn't be capable of doing so without killing someone. Yet they'd still try in order to land their penis mobile.

I guess this test would be good for the gene pool. If you can drive the car at top speed, you deserve both the car and the right to live on and reproduce. If you can't, but still want the car, you either fail and don't get the car (taking away your last ditch effort at reproduction) or you die and take yourself out the gene pool.

FWIW, I haven't even gotten my sluggish 1.8L Matrix up to top speed, mainly because I don't think the car could handle it unless I'm going in a straight line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

In my young years I pushed my first car, a Ford Fiesta, with a massive 1.1L engine with 55 hp, up to top speed a few times. I could get it up to something like 140 km/h (87 mph), but then it was really scary to sit in that car. It felt like it could blow off the road at any time.

How about you have to drive a car at it's top speed before you can claim ownership?
    As long as you have to load and unload cinderblock into every new pick up purchased?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp View Post
    In my young years I pushed my first car, a Ford Fiesta, with a massive 1.1L engine with 55 hp, up to top speed a few times. I could get it up to something like 140 km/h (87 mph), but then it was really scary to sit in that car. It felt like it could blow off the road at any time.
    I briefly hit 200km/h in my grandmother's audi when I was in college. The car was ready for more but I wasn't. Didn't want a speeding ticket or a crash.