Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

midwest summit thread

o.k.
    I guess owens didn't move the midwest summit thread.

So here is where we stand the last time I checked.

It's either Bohemia or Searchmont.

Searchmont has backcountry possibilities.

Bohemia is far.

Lower Michigan is gay.

discuss

edit: I guess there never really was an "official" midwest thread
    Last edited by A-wreck; 10-29-2004 at 01:44 PM.
    Buy nice things here.
    www.motorcityglassworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by A-wreck
    Searchmont has backcountry possibilities.

Bohemia is far.

Lower Michigan is gay.
    Not going to appease everyone, Searchmont is too far for anyone west of Michigan (myself). That is my discussion.

I'll say this again though:

Anyone who wants to go to Bohemia, PM me or email paskebatgmaildotcom... If I get a sufficient number of people, I will start checking around. Otherwise, rtp and me will just go one weekend when snow looks promising.

So far:
    FNG and his bro
    Me
    rtp
    A-Wreck
    up and down
    big sugar (but he'll be pouting)
    grange (time depending)
    Last edited by crashnburn'd; 11-01-2004 at 06:17 PM.

Yeah it's all far I guess.

I'm the type of person where if the mini is going to be at bohemia......then I'll go to bohemia and enjoy the ride.

Plus, they have four trailside cabins up there that look as if they are in the middle of nowhere........meaning loud drinking and bare knuckle boxing can take place at 3:00 a.m. and no one will care. We just need sixteen people to get all four cabins on lock down, and I can bring like 5-6 people.
    Buy nice things here.

Anyody got any idea of prices?

A-wreck, you've got the right idea.

-edit- do we have a date range yet?

-edit-edit- Bohemia Tix: $38, Searchmont: $45 or $40 group rate (20 people)
    Bohemia Lodging: Cabins $100/night, tent space $20/night.

Once we get better feel for dates and numbers, we can try to work a deal.
    Last edited by FNG; 10-29-2004 at 07:36 PM.
    "I smell varmint puntang."

re: backcountry possibilities

Do I need to remind you guys that bohemia has...ehem..[reverb] EXTREME BACKCOUNTRY SKIING!!!!!! [/reverb] availible right off the lift, its very convenient.

Also nearby is Mt Houghton, I have never gone up there but there are people that ski it, there was even talk of a cat skiing operation up there. I believe there is a snomobile trail right to the top but I do not have a snomobile or easy access to one.

in regards to the summit possibilities, I think the only choice would be one at bohemia or whatever and one at searchmont or blue mtn or wherever. Searchmont definately has the advantage for the under 21 crowd, but the times that I have been to searchmont it seemed pretty flat with a few steep spots(not ripping on it and the moose or megabyte or whatever they call that gladed section wasnt open but I would give the nod to boheems for terrain)

In all reality It would probably be better to have the midwest summit, outside of the midwest, i feel bad for people driving 9 hours and then being disapointed. Although, and I've said this before, a weekday powder day at bohemia is an incredible experience, as close to having your own mtn as possible, if the summit is going to happen at bohemia i highly reccomend pulling some strings so you can go at least one weekday. During the weekends the hill can sometimes attract a bunch of extremo mtn dude wannabees who think they are the shit for gaping down a gladed run.

I wouldnt even know until right before the summit if i could even go because I will be working 2 jobs and still going to school, but i will do my best. I may not be the best skier around but I do know the mtn really well so i guess i'll tentatively volunteer as tour guide.

EDIT- For lift tickets remember those searchmont prices are CAN not USD also if you plan to ski bohemia more than 3 times they have a one day pass sale i dont think the date has been announced yet but its sometime around the beginning to middle of December and they sell passes for $99!! definately a steal, you can buy them over the phone as well.

ok sorry for the long rambling post, here is a pic of mt houghton from a ways away, it does look like a lot of fun though
    Last edited by rip; 10-29-2004 at 08:36 PM. Reason: one more thing

Oh, Mt. Bulemia will be fine I suppose.

I'm gonna go pout now.

And by pout, I mean drink.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

If we are going to Bohemia which is a long ass ways for us down the Detroit area then we should look into splitting some charter planes. Someone said that they run around 250 split 4 or 5 ways is damn cheap. 50 bucks would cover gas there.

My vote is still in for Searchmont. But don't really count it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime
    If we are going to Bohemia which is a long ass ways for us down the Detroit area then we should look into splitting some charter planes. Someone said that they run around 250 split 4 or 5 ways is damn cheap. 50 bucks would cover gas there.

My vote is still in for Searchmont. But don't really count it.
    I'm down. I looked into this last year. I was looking at private jets actually. I'm not the ultra baller of the year or anything, it's just the places I called had jets. I think it may have been $250 both ways. But maybe in a plane (not a jet) it would be cheaper.

I forget the names of the companies, but they all flew out of Pontiac.
    Buy nice things here.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnburn'd
    Not going to appease everyone, Searchmont is too far for anyone west of Michigan (myself). That is my discussion.

I'll say this again though:

Anyone who wants to go to Bohemia, PM me or email paskebatgmaildotcom... If I get a sufficient number of people, I will start checking around. Otherwise, rtp and me will just go one weekend when snow looks promising.

So far:
    FNG and his bro
    Me
    rtp
    A-Wreck
    add me to the list of those interested in bohemia
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Any thoughts on a bus or big van?
    Always have fun 'cause thats what its all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose
    Any thoughts on a bus or big van?
    Instead of?
    from where?
    Buy nice things here.

I'm up for a trip to Bohemia depending on the time of year.

lets get a date range here

I think it's time for everyone to chime in on what obligations they have and when they'll be able to go. Some of us are in school, and some are employed, so these things will be factors.
    We are a pretty small group so it should be easy to please everyone.

If rtp or rip could chime in as to when the best times would be, as far as snow conditions go, that would be cool.

Also yoopers, How crowded does it get? should we stay away from holiday weekends, or is that not really a factor?

I personally love holiday weekends as I work at a bank that is pretty tight with their vacation days. So MLK weekend (jan) or presidents weekend (feb) would be ideal for me.

patiently awaiting two pennies from all
    Last edited by A-wreck; 11-02-2004 at 01:10 PM.
    Buy nice things here.

Winter break Dec 22nd - Jan 18th. But we've got no problems skipping out on a thursday/friday and taking a long weekend so long as it doesn't conflict with a mid-term or something.

Quote Originally Posted by FNG
    Winter break Dec 22nd - Jan 18th. But we've got no problems skipping out on a thursday/friday and taking a long weekend so long as it doesn't conflict with a mid-term or something.

I like the x mas break time too however, last year there wasn't any snow up there at that time. They actually closed half the hill on christmas day. I think the coverage will be a tiny gamble at that time of year.

best go when there will be snow there.
    keep in mind: I don't think they make snow there
    They do not groom there, so when it's tracked out, it's dirt
    Buy nice things here.

Vacation time isn't a problem with me so I am more concerned with snow coverage than anything. I just have to find a dog sitter for my puppy and I'm good to go.

I will be gone pretty much the whole month of January, so February would work best for me... Long weekend would be good because it's looking like I won't have Friday classes.

The best time to catch good conditions is really any time before superior freezes up too much. Last year from Jan to mid Feb we had about 35 days in a row with noticeable snowfall.

crowds there is pretty relative, weekends it can get "crowded" but nothing like boyne on a weekend or anything like that. Since bohemia is bigger and runs take longer, the hill holds skiers really well. Even on their busiest day, mardi gras, it never really is more than a minute or two wait for the lift. It all depends on if a few tour buses roll in or not.

as for dates, you guys pick and I will do my best to get those days off of work

any of you guys get mid winter breaks from school?

No mid-winter break here. I vote long weekend.

If Im back in the midwest when this goes down I suppose I could make it. Ive been wanting an excuse to go back to Bohemia anyways

i have a couple jobs, one of which is in a bank, plus i am married with 2 of 3 kids living at home.. so, i think i will let the rest of you decide when to go, and then i will see which arm and leg it will cost me with my wife and my boss before i decide to pull the trigger.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by rip
    The best time to catch good conditions is really any time before superior freezes up too much. Last year from Jan to mid Feb we had about 35 days in a row with noticeable snowfall.

?
    soooooooooooo.... presidents weekend feb 18-21. 18th is friday.....monday the 21st is the holiday..........

I I am steadily spending my vacation days before I even get them
    Buy nice things here.

break

winter break has always made for good riding. I've seen significant snowfall in the 3 week period between the last week of Dec - Jan 14. 2 years ago it was retarded.

Thumbs up

Let me know when y'all are gonna be up, eh?

I'm down for whatever...weekends can be made to be free, I'll be free Tues and Thurs while skool is in session.

january -- early feb is definitely gonna look better for snow than december or after late feb. We get good dumps around those times, but you can't really count on it.

as for the big lake freezing up, that only happens every decade or so, typically.(?)