GPS Wrong Directions - How to fix?

I am a complete idiot when in comes to GPS stuff. I don't know how or where to solve this problem. My company recently built a new hospital. Our old hospital was converted from being a full service hospital, with an emergency room to be only a maternity/birthing center. Travelers unfamiliar with the area are being directed to the old hospital for emergency care. The latest case, a man having a heart attack came to the wrong location and had to be transported across town to the new hospital. How do I get the information changed?

I was going to say "Buy a map", but that won't solve your problem. My guess would be to contact somebody at Google, but I really have no idea who controls GPS content.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I was going to say "Buy a map", but that won't solve your problem. My guess would be to contact somebody at Google, but I really have no idea who controls GPS content.
    GPS positioning is gov't satelites. Mapping is done by whoever sells the GPS tracking software afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    GPS positioning is gov't satelites. Mapping is done by whoever sells the GPS tracking software afaik.
    Back in the day, there were only a couple of companies that did the mapping and all of the GPS and internet folks bought from them. They used to buy our municipal street centerline GIS data.

It's tough one, because there could be multiple devices/apps being used to get directions and I don't know how you could possibly cover them all.

I'm sure some mag will know where to start.

I'd call Delorme, Garmin, Tom tom, Rand McNally, etc. Find out where they get their map info from. You should have it changed on all maps, not just ones on GPS units.

That really won't do much for people that are using outdated maps, which will be pretty much everyone that doesn't buy a new unit after the change is made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    I'd call Delorme, Garmin, Tom tom, Rand McNally, etc. Find out where they get their map info from. You should have it changed on all maps, not just ones on GPS units.
    Mix in a few signs and you've got a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Mix in a few signs and you've got a plan.
    Ice, you know as well as I do, people are now too god damn stupid to read signs or actually pay attention to where they are going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

heh, the signs are just there to keep the insurance premiums down.

Thanks for the answers. I'll start with the GPS manufacturers.

Contact TeleAtlas and Navteq, they're the two largest dealers of data to gps navigation systems. Since this is a public safety issue, they might pay attention.

Also, see if there's a site location for your hospital in Open Street Maps and update it, or get it updated (it's crowd sourced/open source dataset). Yahoo and Google both parse Open Street Maps for changes, and they generally work their way into the online services. *

But, unfortunately, all of this will take a while. If folks are pulling data live from a server, those'll update pretty quickly, but it'll only update on people's dashboard GPS's when they update the databases loaded on the unit.

* I updated two incorrect road network coding issues near my house (in Open Street Maps) that had been errors since the 2000 census road data was created, and within 2 months, google had corrected it, and 3 months yahoo had.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

FKNA, Nater. Welcome back.