Gman is online now Mack Master William Large

UPS Fucked My Dad's Shit Up, What are his Options?

So dad mailed his skis UPS out to utah for our four day trip and now apparently his skis are fubared. Haven't seen them myself but they called to tell him they were damaged which makes me think they are pretty bag. Can't remember if they were in a box or a ski bag but they are claiming "insufficient packaging" and refuse to reimburse him from any money. Unfortunately, he didn't get insurance either so he pretty much has to bend over and grab his ankles. Was hoping someone could recommend some course of action here. No one at the UPS store said anything about the packaging when he shipped them so he's pretty pissed off.

He's fucked. Why in the world didn't he insure his skis? Insurance is cheap.

Flamethrower.

I know it's minimal, but I think UPS still includes $100 insurance on all packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    he pretty much has to bend over and grab his ankles.
    This5678
    09/10 (BIRD) : 110 (98)
    10/11(Concussions) : 68 (2)

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Dude snowbird called wps you left your bros, boots and poles on the tramdeck
    We were worried you had a bad shroom trip the 4th and were stuck cowering in a corner of the basshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaag Master View Post
    sfb - thanks - that is my locker - picked them up on saturday - they are great skis!

Quote Originally Posted by tex1230 View Post
    I know it's minimal, but I think UPS still includes $100 insurance on all packages.
    It sounds like they're refusing that as the "packaging was insufficient"

First off, sorry about your Dad's skis....that really sucks ass. I had some gear damaged by the Airlines on my last trip. Fortunately, I was successful with reimbursement.

Future options:
    1. Pick up a Dakine concourse single bag. They are padded...on sale for $40-ish online.
    2. Snag a Sportube 'Double' off of Craigslist. Prices vary, I just picked one up for $40-basically new.

3. Put skis and other stuff in the Dakine Single Concourse. Slide it into the Sportube. Now you have a padded bag inside a hard shell.

4. Set up a FedEx account online (free); this way they will come to you and pick up your skis. Insure your package!

I recently shipped a pair to SLC from NY...it was $42 (ground) with a $1000 insurance. Since the airline charges $35 for ski/baggage...it was the best $7 I could have spent.

Again, your situation sucks ass, best of luck with any reimbursement.

Did your dad pack the skis or did he take them to the UPS store and have them pack the skis? If he packed them himself, they yes, he's pretty much screwed. If the store packed them, he needs to take it up with them. They know UPS's rules and should have followed them.

I don't remember for sure, but I think even with insurance, if they claim "insufficient packing" and something happens, you're screwed.

UPS requires two inches of packing material (peanuts/bubble wrap/etc...) around all sides of whatever is being shipped. To mess up skis as badly as it sounds, I'd be willing to bet that two inches wouldn't do much good anyway.

Sucks for your dad, hope something gets worked out.
    "I just looked down to see if I was wearing my seatbelt, and I'm sitting at my desk in my room."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/owencaprell/

+1 for sending 'em FedEx ground. And I've used a regular ski bag (two pairs of skis) with only clothes/bubble pack for protection. Never had a problem.
    You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness, and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by Out_to_lunch View Post
    Did your dad pack the skis or did he take them to the UPS store and have them pack the skis? If he packed them himself, they yes, he's pretty much screwed. If the store packed them, he needs to take it up with them. They know UPS's rules and should have followed them.

I don't remember for sure, but I think even with insurance, if they claim "insufficient packing" and something happens, you're screwed.

UPS requires two inches of packing material (peanuts/bubble wrap/etc...) around all sides of whatever is being shipped. To mess up skis as badly as it sounds, I'd be willing to bet that two inches wouldn't do much good anyway.

Sucks for your dad, hope something gets worked out.
    I believe what happened is his skis were still wrapped from the last time he flew back from Utah and the airlines wrapped them in plastic. Don't believe there was bubble wrap just plastic. Also I think they were in a single ski bag not a padded bag. I sent my skis in a dakine double bag, put the pairs of skis inside the pant leg of my big puffy pants and then put more padding(clothes) around the tips and bindings. Also insured mine and sent them fedex ground. No fuckups.