Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Looking for recs of intense eccentric (short/long head) hamstring strengthening exercises that I can do at home.

My mcl tear (no meniscus injury) is apparently healed well, but I “strained” my shorthead hamstring during the injury. Injury occurred in late March. At that time, I could hit lap bell to bell at least 2 days in a row, all tele, and not feel sore/fatigued; so I felt strong. The hamstring is still a problem.

At full extension with slight twist (maybe hyper extension), I’m loosing knee stability and pulling that muscles. The motion while skiing is when “boosting”/springing over an obstacle or a terrain variation. I think I can alter my tele skiing mechanics to avoid that motion. I’m also now wearing a mild knee brace with hinges alu stays that inhibits full and hyper extension.

My PT believes that I need to focus on addition strengthening of those muscles. I have an appt with her next week, but am concerned that she won’t give enough. I’ve been following her previous recommendations and adding leg blasters (5 sets, 3x per week), but am still having this problems.

Got an answer for home strengthening the bicep femoris hamstring (especially the short head hamstring) from one of the ski hill physicians - Nordic hamstring exercises (15-20 reps) and backwards pedaling on the stationary bike with resistance.

Looking for recommendations for simple stayed knee braces that keep the knee from fully extending. Not sure my current stayed knee brace is doing enough in that regard.

check out donjoy, I have had the non-pleasure of purchasing their products very recently but have read/heard good reviews.

this is the site I purchased from, guy called me 3 mins after hitting the purchase button to say he was out of one item but upgraded to the next level at NC, good service.

https://www.donjoyperformance.com/

edit: forgot link to site
    Last edited by hawkgt; 12-27-2022 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Looking for recs of intense eccentric (short/long head) hamstring strengthening exercises that I can do at home.

My mcl tear (no meniscus injury) is apparently healed well, but I “strained” my shorthead hamstring during the injury. Injury occurred in late March. At that time, I could hit lap bell to bell at least 2 days in a row, all tele, and not feel sore/fatigued; so I felt strong. The hamstring is still a problem.

At full extension with slight twist (maybe hyper extension), I’m loosing knee stability and pulling that muscles. The motion while skiing is when “boosting”/springing over an obstacle or a terrain variation. I think I can alter my tele skiing mechanics to avoid that motion. I’m also now wearing a mild knee brace with hinges alu stays that inhibits full and hyper extension.

My PT believes that I need to focus on addition strengthening of those muscles. I have an appt with her next week, but am concerned that she won’t give enough. I’ve been following her previous recommendations and adding leg blasters (5 sets, 3x per week), but am still having this problems.
    Swiss ball trifecta
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    My meniscus tear seems to be mostly healed in year three. Pt and no MRI or surgery. It swelled like a biatch at first but didn't have problems with locking fwiw. Still do the glute pt stuff as part of general workout routine. Get a few phantom pains from time to time but not limiting me from anything I want to do. I'd try not to cut if at all possible as I believe it heals itself over (long) time and the cut makes knee replacement more likely in long run. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Unless your meniscus is torn at the meniscal synovial junction it will never heal on it own and will usually only heal with a repair. How do you know you had a tear if you didn’t get an MRI? MRI or scope are the only definitive diagnosis for meniscus tear. Clinical diagnosis can only suggest a meniscus tear

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Swiss ball trifecta
    Thanks. I’m already doing this, but one foot at a time on the ball. Perhaps I’m not doing it enough (not enough sets?). I do this on the off days from doing leg blasters.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    check out donjoy, I have had the non-pleasure of purchasing their products very recently but have read/heard good reviews.

this is the site I purchased from, guy called me 3 mins after hitting the purchase button to say he was out of one item but upgraded to the next level at NC, good service.
    Thanks!!

Thanks mcski and to others for the info. Will carry on and hopefully get some expert input soon from a surgeon. Hope everyone heals up!