$3500 DH Bike: Turner DHR vs. Ventana Cuervo

Yep, it really is that time of the year for bike-purchase insecurity and general advice seeking. I've read through Particle's recent post as well as Squatch's. And I now I find myself in a similar situation. If I'm lucky, Specialized has a Demo 8 for me at a screaming deal through Chainsmoke Racing. If I'm unlucky (Demo 8s are apparently way backordered), I'll have to shell out a lot more for a DH bike this year.

Here's what I want:
    *a bike for Northstar and Whistler
    *under 42 pounds
    *$3500 or under
    *DH race-capable but also generally fun to ride
    *something that won't break easily under a less-than-graceful rider
    *a bike that fits me (6')

I'd happily purchase a 2010 Glory 1, but I can't find any LBS's that would sell them for much less than MSRP (~$4000). Ditto for the Trek Session 8.

So, given the criteria above, I too am considering Go-Ride's current deals on a 2008 DHR Turner (I could swap the fork for a cheaper one and/or use my current DH wheel set to make it more affordable); or a Ventana Cuervo.

Is one bike better than the other? Both seem like solid bikes. I guess I'd lean a little toward the Cuervo, since I'd save a little $$$.

Any other solid DH deals out there? Incidentally, I'd prefer to avoid a used DH bike, if possible (unless is was in mint condition and/or a screaming deal.)

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to be selling my medium DHR frame pretty soon here if you care.

Those bikes have such similar performing suspension in my opinion it's pretty much a wash. The DHR is a tad lower in the BB. That's really about the only difference. I seem to remember the cuervos having a slightly steeper head angle but I just checked and they're both published at 64 degrees. (might just be that the orignal geos were listed with 7" forks).

They're both bomber frames.

If you get a boxxer WC, maybe we could work out a trade beneficial to your finances for my team.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Thanks, kidwoo.

Ya need a Cuervo?[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166504"]http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166504[/ame]

I know a session 88 for sale, size large, good (great?) price, in good shape... message me if your interested.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Another possibility is this Morewood Makulu, which is being sold by a fellow team member. Seems like a pretty damn good deal.

powderwhore and Yukonrider- I could be interested. Right now I'm just trying to collect as much info as possible.

I love my DHR, but HOLY SHIT THAT IS A CRAZY DEAL ON THAT MAKULU. If I needed a bike I would be on that like white on rice.
    vitalmtb.com

I'll just toss this out there... I'll be selling [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154485"]my large 303rDH[/ame] soon.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsquat View Post
    I'll just toss this out there... I'll be selling my large 303rDH soon.
    That's a purty bike. Just curious, but what are you asking for it?

situations might force me to sell my dh bike...

large 303 r-dh 2009 (1 ride)
    fox 40 rc2 (1 ride)
    straitline stem (1 ride)
    deity bars (20 rides)
    thomson post (1 ride)
    lg1 (1 ride)
    holzfeller cranks (2 seasons, w/ NEW bb)
    xtr shifter, ultegra r.der, xt 11-34 cassette and 11-23 DA 9spd cassette both included (all mint)
    hope mono-6 brakes 9 (1 season, w/ extra pads)
    hope hubs, atomlab pimp lite rims (both red), dt super comp spokes (blk). 1990g dh wheels (20 rides)
    conti rubber queen 2.4 DH tubeless tires (actually 2.5-6 size) - (1 ride), and a spare set of conti der kaiser 2.5's. (15 rides)
    diety pedals (1 season)

i believe it is just under 40 lbs.

would need $3500 + ship.

not sure if i need to sell or not... don't want to. this bike is beyond pimped out. situation might dictate that i have too though.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Not that anyone would have doubt but buying bikes from Marshal is a pretty good experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    situations might force me to sell my dh bike...
    Did you accidentally drop your crotch in the food processor again?

You KNOW replacement balls are expensive this time of year.

That's a sick deal.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Having been convinced that I was going to purchase a Cuervo, 303 RDH, and Demo 8 II at different times over the past week or so, I ended up ordering a Demo 8 I and saving a crapload of money. BetterRide clinic, here I come.

Right on AK! That frame is so sick with the white/black paint. And TOTALLY worth it to save some upgrade coin for a betterride clinic, I'm so stoked I did that.

edit: Marshal, real sorry to hear you might have to sell the 303R... sucks. I'm sure you'll find you way back into another down the road though.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    That's a purty bike. Just curious, but what are you asking for it?
    Well, I'd really like $3k, but with Marshal's bike out there...

Ok first thing first. It's a DH bike. Buy it new!

The DHR and Cuervo are super good choices and at the prices they are being sold right now it's just ridiculous. Personally I'd go for the DHR because of the lesser weight but my small cuervo is at 39 lbs with a full DH set-up so it's doable (for $$$)