Question Two-way radios for skiing trees?

Yes I searched, didn't find anything too recent.

I'm just looking for 4 two-way radios to use with friends while skiing trees inbounds. Size matters, I don't want to get stabbed by the antenna. Range is not super important, but obviously it needs to be strong enough to communicate in the woods. Budget is not hudge because I need to buy 4.

Any ideas? What are you using?

Have the cobra cheapies and just got some motorola M350R. REi for $85/pair. Size matters............
    Cobra lasted one season for $40 then done.
    Decent range, but not great - like these
    http://www.buytwowayradios.com/produ...r-270-2vp.aspx

Good starter setup though...........
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

The bigger the range the better. As they basically work on line-of-sight to work, it will help to have the extra power. Spend the $$$ if you're going to get them, it is worth it.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I have used the Cobra, older model but didn't like it at all. had issues communicating with other brand radio's as they use different channels and were not reliable and the batteries sucked donkey balls.

I now have the Motorola
    http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....-Cat79&topnav=

had them for three years, batteries last all day, clear good signal over a long range, even without line of sight. take a beating. Plus it has the weather channel (multiple channels) that broadcasts the canadian weather network broadcasts. Handy to get good info for the area you are in.
    It ain't skiing till your a$$ is puckered

we used to do that at big white ,everybody had a call sign ,if you hurry you can get "Maverick" or "Jester" before someone else does

FRS have got much cheaper and all work fine

one of my buds had one with built in GPS so he could find his 11yr old kid at any time ...assuming the kid didnt lose the frs
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-09-2010 at 03:39 PM.

I like my Motorolas, had them for years, never a problem. I clip it to my pack strap, so it gets cover in snow in storms and in falls (not that I ever fall), but they keep on working. Work great in trees, but they are line of sight, so not so good on opposite sides of a mountain, but I am surprised what they do pick up.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

you can get a head set for FRS ,with a helmet and enough drugs you might think you are "Maverick" starting his run

FRS is usually good enough for a ski area ,depending on conditions FRS can pickup some amazing distances ,there was an instance of kids playing in a tree fort at the base of mt hood picking up some climbers who were in trouble

With an FRS sitting on the gem lake chair at bigwhite we picked up a conversation from someone riding the Burfield chair at sunpeaks ... over 100kms away

They make the GMRS ones in tiny size now. GMRS is the band that is a little more powerful than FRS, and the package tells you that you have to register it with the FCC, which no one does. Only a certain range of channels on the radio are GMRS however, so you have to tune it to the right one, otherwise you get the weaker FRS band.

I run the Motorola speaker mic clipped to my backpack strap. Makes me look kind of like a douchey wannabe patroller, but it's highly convenient.

That said, even a radio can't save your buddy who is lawn darted into a tree well and drowning if you don't maintain visual contact. I constantly have to remind myself of this, as we all seem to go chinese downhill in the trees anyway.

I have some Motorolas that work OK. I also got some Midland radios as a door prize and found the range and transmitting power to be better. They run pretty close to the same price. Midland specializes in 2-way radios. Very popular brand among amateur radio operators.

I picked up 3 Motorolas from Costco for ca$69.

They're very cool.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear
    I run the Motorola speaker mic clipped to my backpack strap...
    me too (well, not a motorola, but I have an external mic on my pack strap)

...Makes me look kind of like a douchey wannabe patroller...
    me too

...but it's highly convenient.
    yup