Tax Question - Medical Expenses

almost cut my hand off this year, had over $40k in total costs, which luckily being insure I only had to pay about $6k + for (a few % points over the 7.5 limit for % of income)....why is turbo tax not giving me any medical deductions?

am I supposed to be entering the pre-insurance costs of everything? I assumed it was post-insurance since that alone is easily over the 7.5%

anyways figured I'd try here while I'm waiting for the turbotax douchebags to respond...I am having a few beers to help motivate myself through this and quick response might mean a slightly more legible tax return I wont get audited on.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

I was under the impression it was incurred costs to you, post insurance.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

You must itemize and you may deduct only the amount by which your total medical care expenses for the year exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You do this calculation on Form 1040 Schedule A in computing the amount deductible.

Are you using AGI?
    Me, I want to live with my feet in Dixie
    and my head in the cool blue North
    - Jimmy Buffet (Nothin' but a breeze)

you can only write off what you paid out of pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by cramer View Post
    you can only write off what you paid out of pocket.
    right...if thats the case though, I've paid over the 7.5%. so shouldnt I get some type of deduction out of it? turbotax is saying no

thanks for the responses

Like a previous poster indicated...
    It will only help you if you itemize your deductions..
    If you are doing the short form, and using the standard deductions, Turbotax will not use the medical deduction amount, the short form does not use it...
    Do you own a house or are you renting...
    If you are renting, most likely you don't have enough deductions to itemize...
    If you own a house, you should be itemizing...

Quote Originally Posted by rspacher View Post
    Like a previous poster indicated...
    It will only help you if you itemize your deductions..
    If you are doing the short form, and using the standard deductions, Turbotax will not use the medical deduction amount, the short form does not use it...
    Do you own a house or are you renting...
    If you are renting, most likely you don't have enough deductions to itemize...
    If you own a house, you should be itemizing...
    Thanks...
    I am renting...
    So I guess thats what I needed to know...

Are you self employed?? You can write off medical expenses on a Shcd. C as
    well in some cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm the most extreme skier in my office. I'll see your III and raise you one level of radness.

right...if thats the case though, I've paid over the 7.5%. so shouldnt I get some type of deduction out of it? turbotax is saying no
    Ya if you did standard deduction, you cant do it. You have to do an itemized deduction. If you own your own business or are a contractor, you can write off alot of stuff there. Since you dont own a house, id imagine you'll get more on standard deduction. I didnt itemize until i bought my house last year.