TR: High and Dry in Telluride

With El Nino in effect and the Southern storm track pumping, I felt good about my chances heading into a week in Telluride. Two storms were forecasted to effect the area going in, but each strayed northward, leaving us high and dry in Telluride.

The playground (with a few chunks missing)

The snow was still soft upon our arrival, but a string of warm sunny days did their best to change this and eventually only the high north facing aspects were staying cold.

1TheSis1 and 1TheLady1 coming down from Mountain Quail early on

Don't turn

a bi further down

By day 4 motorized assistance was helpful to try to get to the goods

The terrain we accessed to the north of the ski area was definitely not the uber gnar, as avy conditions were still a bit scary

But, we made the best of it - a fun windlip (and a view that didn't suck)

Mike

More Mike, before and after the choke

Aerial of Telluride and Bear Creek on the way home

The last day as the second storm tracked north of the area, we were blessed with 1" of new snow (reported). Along with the snow though at the edge of this storm (that brought Snowbird 19") came lots of wind. And believe it or not, 1" and lots of wind made for some pretty fun skiing in the alpine. Revy and Black Iron definitely blew in a fair amount, and the day I think was juust good enough to keep me coming back waiting for that real pow day (i've been at this for a while...)

1TheLady1 making the most of it

Finding deep spots in Mountain Quail

1" covers rocks a little

Skiing is fun.

1TL1 drops into Black Iron bowl

So, you win some you lose some. And although this time Ullr was not looking down upon us fondly, fun was still had, and we'll be at it again shortly.

1TN1

Lucky..........

Great pics... Only been there once, but dying to go back!

Nice! great pictures

I love that place.

Looks like you guys had fun Naton despite the lack of snow. Some great pics. Next year is our year I can feel it.

I fucking love Telluride. Great pics!

solid tr

Nice pics, we were out there a few weeks ago and got bookended with dumps. Black Iron and Palmyra were ez access and fairly deep. I looked into the heli option but 1000$ was too steep although you got 6 runs. Will definitely return to T-ride.
    Silent....but shredly.

nice picutes.
    i did ski fresh pow on bald mountain on monday and Chute #9 into black iron bowl was great as well...those new stairs to chute 9 are sick.

i saw rudin tagged in these pics on fb, that guy always makes me jealous! anyone in telluride makes me jealous but especially people hitchin a ride in the whirlybird!

Quote Originally Posted by powderchick View Post
    nice picutes.
    i did ski fresh pow on bald mountain on monday and Chute #9 into black iron bowl was great as well...those new stairs to chute 9 are sick.
    I think I skied #9 like three days before the stairs went in. Must change the access a lot.

I had a similar snow experience the week I was there. The last day a storm finally filled in. Sure was nice to not have the bumps for an afternoon.