Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp View Post
    Yeah I guess, it always just seemed to me that you would get a lot back for your money if you did this, that's all. Not that I'm building a cabin anytime soon, but I would definitely consider the option if I was.
    Per sq. foot it is cheap space. I see basements get cut down or out in many projects because of the cost, it's a shame really, cause it is such great space.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    Nice, but the extra cost can be the breaking point for some budgets.
    The same can true at every decision making crossroads.

I agree with rune, if you are building a frost protected foundation with a crawlspace the price difference is minimal compared to the gain in square footage that a full basement provides.

aside: If I were doing this, I would probably use mostly corrugated steel on the exterior, both walls and roof.

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    Per sq. foot it is cheap space. I see basements get cut down or out in many projects because of the cost, it's a shame really, cause it is such great space.
    Heck, I'm even considering digging one under my existing house. Just need to figure out a good way of doing it to make it easy to dig under there.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    The same can true at every decision making crossroads.

I agree with rune, if you are building a frost protected foundation with a crawlspace the price difference is minimal compared to the gain in square footage that a full basement provides.

aside: If I were doing this, I would probably use mostly corrugated steel on the exterior, both walls and roof.
    Yes, but owners typically have strong ideas about above ground needs and so the below grade stuff gets thrown out first.

Definitely yes to the corrugated siding concept. I'm wanting to do a Butler building cabin design. Cheap per sq. ft. cost and quick erection time. Not very "cabiny", but can be uber cool in an industrial way. Heated conc. floor hang a loft. storefront glass, metal siding/roofing. Very low maintenance.

We did piers as could do it ourselves. Could have gone slab like down the road but don't like wood being so close to ground. I'm not sure if a conventional basement would have worked at our place as water table is very high some years. I'm sure it was about 6' from grade one year. Thinking about it I don't know of any place that has a basement other than hill sides that have walk outs, which is weird for Canada. Ok one place but their first floor is higher than ours so about 6 1/2' so basement floor not that far below grade.

In Canada slab on grade is weird in all parts of country other than BC ( lower mainland) have full basements as you have to go down far enough to get below the frost. Cottages maybe not as much as cost to get concrete out in boonies is $. We could have not gone below the frost as ground is supper well drained so frost heave would not have been an issue.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Alpinord, sorry you took that the wrong way. I was totally kidding. EW, Ice, and Danno were correct. I meant that as a joke and think it is beautiful and what others should aspire to be.... mine included. Your friend's place is amazing. Anyhow, I hope you can laugh, because I am! Honestly, no offense meant or taken.
    Sorry for missing the humor. Guess that's what I get for coming into a thread sideways during a powdery ski trip and having too much pride in a successful collaborative project. BD, your's is fine too, BTW. No harm, no foul.

FWIW, my alter ego is home design and have been involved with tons of remodels where we 'fixed' the 'woulda' and 'couldas' to improve the function, aesthetics and structural shortcomings. This cost far more than if the extra effort and cost was applied up front. When an owner/designer/builder is in a project, they are often overwhelmed by it all and 'too close' to the project and get hung up on short term goals and financial limitations. Involving a objective party as at least an experienced consultation to provide other options, design, tweaks, structural assistance and a sounding board is more valuable, long term than is typically understood.

I've often thought , that like others have mentioned, bumping the foundation wall height a bit to provide at least enough headroom height for below structure storage, shop, extra space, or better a garage, etc, is money well spent. So could be a carport or extended roof over ground or slab. Here in the San Juans, we get tons of snow (and sun) and providing floor height well above grade is a good a idea, but not done that often. The other side of the coin, is the convenience when there isn't snow and one wishes to be closer to the ground.

Foam form blocks are an excellent option for the DIYer to build foundations and/or homes, versus CMUs. You can reduce steps, gain insulation and include reinforcing steel for lateral and compressive stability within the system. We did one house entirely out of the system and simply applied stucco. You can install any siding or interior wall finish to it...

Keep your eye on the target which is real needs and wants for short and long term. There are many creative ways to get there and often the better solution is not what you become 'married' to. Objectively, write down a real and prioritized wish list and make sure your design truly meets the criteria. Don't be afraid to ask a pro for help.

You should see the loaded snow loaded dormers in some of the 'cabins' here in Telluride.

Off for more powder in the trees........
    Last edited by Alpinord; 03-11-2010 at 09:26 AM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

So I'm going to throw an idea out there that's a bit outside the box (pun intended) however I think it might work pretty well in your environment.

Build a shipping container home. They can be tastefully done and are relatively cheap ($800 - $3000 per container.) Load bearing wouldn't be an issue since they are built to withstand tons stacked on top of them.

I'm not a "Green" guy but I think if you put 4 or 6 of them together and designed it tastfully, it would be a good fit since Haines is a port town.

http://www.containercity.com/cove-park.html

http://www.thegreenestdollar.com/200...ing-container/

do an image search on "shipping container homes" to get an idea of how some people designed theirs.
    Last edited by ACHTUNG; 03-11-2010 at 07:07 PM.
    Dollar sign that bitch.

Thank's for the shipping container link. I have a friend that has lived in one for 25 years. He lives in half, keeps his harley and 1958 GMC pickup in the other half. Painted the thing camo. Those designs look alot nicer. Our town is full of them. Shippers leave them here to store as it is cheaper than other ports.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    . Here is a couple of shots of some new constuction that work in our climate.
    BFD- what type of roof is that? I don't see any venting, ridge vent or roof vent? Do they go for an artic or hot roof in your area?
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Coming along
    20x24'
    10' walls
    1/2 loft
    6x10' mudroom
    will put the roof on, drop in a couple of doors and start on the windows, it will be dry for winter

...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    Awesome! Keep the pics coming!!!
    pmiP triD remroF

-dna-

!!!timoV cimotA erutuF

-ottom-

"!!!emit a ta anigav eno dlroW eht gnirolpxE"

Hugh Conway Guest
    damn. looks sweet.

Thanks for the update.... looking great, but wondering, where are the windows? Back side or not cut out yet?
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 09-06-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

B, cabin looks great, is that a sled I spy under the tarp? Did you finaly cave, a wedding gift to yourselves?

good to see your place coming along. Was thinking about this yesterday. Was hiking with someone who lived in Haines for awhile. Actually contacted some realtors. Where is your cabin located? Any lots for sale near by?
    off your knees Louie

front with windows and roof

back

looks awesome. however, not being a jerk, but the front window to the left of the reverse gable, is going to give you problem for a long time with the roof intersecting with the side of the window. No amount of vertical flashing is going to stop melting snow from eventually coming into the side of the window. Especially when the snow is piled up against it. I am a lifelong builder and windows too close to intersections like this always leak. Better to address now before it is wrapped in siding and counter flashing and interior millwork. Off hand the only thing I could suggest is an eyebrow type overhang pararllel to the main roof and intersecting the reverse gable. repeat on the other side and you will have nice dep overhangs to ptotect them. good luck and post more pictures

Awesome keep the pics coming!

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    the front window to the left of the reverse gable, is going to give you problem... Off hand the only thing I could suggest is an eyebrow type overhang pararllel to the main roof and intersecting the reverse gable.
    I agree about the window but I think it would be easier to just put it somewhere else. If you start with an overhang you'll intersect the other roof and end up with a valley and you don't want that either. I'm sure having the light there is nice but it looks like a recurring problem is brewing there. Otherwise the place looks great, keep up with the pics, please!

Yeah, that window was poorly placed by the designer (me). Won't be siding this winter. So will see how it goes (has a 2' overhang above it). Probably drop it down next spring, or just remove it. Stoked to have it where we wanted it before the snow drops. Believe there was just a call for 2' at the border.

Island Cabin

Here is my latest project.

What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

That looks cool! How big is it? Plumbing and electricity too?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Very cool has an almost "Usonian" look.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Vertical log walls.

Just run a chain saw between them until you have flat surfaces and chink.
    Best logs for this are standing cedar in old burns, where they have weathered for a few years. Sometimes you'll find them with a barber pole twist if the fire crowned the forest. Best part is two guys can pick them up because they cure so light. Plus, if you can find a froe, you can split your shakes from them.

shakes...are you fucking kidding me splat? Wood on roof=muy bad.

Edit...at least in the Tahoe basin
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 11-08-2010 at 11:11 AM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Wendigo, you must be psyched. Looking good... what about moving that window to the mudroom/entry wall? (Or is that interior wall for skis?)

bad dancer, that is f'n awesome. Looks a little like James Cutler (who I'm sure you must have heard of, being in the islands and all): http://www.cutler-anderson.com/proje...lam/index.html

But wtf is with all these "manpris"?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!