North of South, South of North, West of East

Timberline, WV Backcountry Options?

Anyone know of any easily accessible backcountry (preferably slackcountry) options around T-Line?

Have to do lift served stuff at T-Line too since the person supplying the tickets expects a T-Line TR so it can't be an all day tour thing.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

whitegrass

checkout whitegrass.com
    there are links to maps on the site and the folks at whitegrass can get you set-up
    also think about dining there if on a weekend

drop toward whitegrass from twister

It's not timberline slackcountry, but if the base is good (and I've heard it's incredible there right now) and you can find the time, there is some really awesome skiing to be had in the north facing drainages just south of the ridge that holds Canaan Valley, Whitegrass and Timberline - across the red creek valley. I forget the name of the place (I think it's called roaring plains, or is near roaring plains), but from the looks of it on the google maps, I believe it is the valley housing flatrock run. Chip at whitegrass told me about this place years ago, and I only got to go there once, but it was of a quality I would never expect to find in WVa. I think you can get 1200', maybe 1500' of continuous fall line in there, in nice open trees, with an occassional rock to huck.

SHHHHHH.......quiet.

mt porte crayon and flatrock plains

I have been in there a couple of times from the rd across the top (fr 70)and down the pipeline (almost 2000 ft) and up from canaan crossing up the rt fork of flatrock run. This is all from dim memory so make sure to ask at whitegrass. I do seem to remember some remarkably thick brush and trees
    near the top

ixnay on the ipelinepay, 3pin
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    ixnay on the ipelinepay, 3pin
    yeah, seriously, ya'll need to shut. the. fuck. up.

Timberline bumps right up against the Sods, qwik tour over to Cabin Mtn, can link into the WG network, good skiing off FR80 I hear, haven't spent much time over there.

Look on the T'line site, I think there's a map of their 'backcountry' trail system, accessible from the top of the lift, probably overlaps with this map from the WG site:

http://www.whitegrass.com/downloads/...FALLS-FLAT.jpg