Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    One eight seven seven kars for kids, one eight seven seven kars for kids.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Vibes

However many are in a shit ton.

I will never get the Subaru fan base.

Our '08 outback was leaking oil at 60,000 km- I am pretty sure a lot of them are leaking on the boat over. How is that even possible? Don't get me started on the wiring to the trunk lid.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    One eight seven seven kars for kids, one eight seven seven kars for kids.

Sorry kids, tax incentive for charitable donations all but eliminated with changes to SALT deductions. So I won't be donating my car today...
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Definitely go buy another one because they are "GREAT CARS"!
    Sad thing is I probably will.

FWIW, I bought a certified Pre owned Volvo with a million mile warranty and added 3 extra years for the price of a new outback. My warranty paperwork literally says 8 years & 999,998 miles. No looking back.

However many are in a shit ton.

Is the $6K quote from the dealership ? Looks like quite few engines for around $2K on ebay , I can't imagine it's more than a $1 to r/r that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Is the $6K quote from the dealership ? Looks like quite few engines for around $2K on ebay , I can't imagine it's more than a $1 to r/r that thing.
    Quote is from my mechanic. But just an estimate so far as he is looking for an engine.

SJ, he should be able to find you a low mileage engine from a junk yard and some yards give great warranties on their used parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    SJ, he should be able to find you a low mileage engine from a junk yard and some yards give great warranties on their used parts.
    Fingers crossed...

LS1 swap!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

A decade old Subaru with a shot suspension and a blown motor is worth shit.

Trade it in on something, get your 500 bucks, and be done with it. I wouldn't bother replacing the motor.
    Live Free or Die

Don’t know about that year in particular but check Japan for used engines. I have an older 2.5 and that’s probably what I’d do if it blew. Maybe even swap for a 2.0 and save a little more gas $.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Don’t know about that year in particular but check Japan for used engines. I have an older 2.5 and that’s probably what I’d do if it blew. Maybe even swap for a 2.0 and save a little more gas $.
    This will decimate all. If we have to, we overnight parts from Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

He can fix it..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    I will never get the Subaru fan base.

Our '08 outback was leaking oil at 60,000 km- I am pretty sure a lot of them are leaking on the boat over. How is that even possible? Don't get me started on the wiring to the trunk lid.
    Subaru's have trunks??!!

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    Bump

My 2012 Outback's engine just blew-up ("cylinders not firing") at 79k miles. $6k+ for a used engine + labor.

--- End rant
    1995 2.2L with 240,000, never had the heads off. 2005 2.5L had head gaskets replaced at 115,000, now 135,000. It's amazing what maintenance can do. And $6K?! Find an independent shop, that's a dealer price.

Feeling pretty good about the decision to do the timing belt at 95K and 9 years in. Time will tell, now at 105K and just a few little annoying things.. TPMS and outdoor temp sensors need replacing. Head gaskets and other big stuff checked by dealer when they did the timing belt and plugs, wires, couple other minor things..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Sorry kids, tax incentive for charitable donations all but eliminated with changes to SALT deductions. So I won't be donating my car today...
    What? I thought that was only if you donated to a “State Run Charity” I.e. donated your taxes instead of paid them. Charitable contribution are impacted by SALT now? In what way?

https://www.accountingtoday.com/arti...cap-in-tax-law

Someone would buy it here. My suby was running kinda rough with 210000 miles. I paid a buddy 250 bucks and it feels brand new... 135k is nothing for a subaru

Been there with an 07. There are 3 viable options as I see it. Answer depends on how much you liked it before it shit the bed, how much a replacement will cost and how you are going to use this car or it’s successor.

1. Get a good rebuilt motor.

New head gaskets, timing belt, water pump, plugs, etc. Installed that should run about $6k (which oddly enough is about what this thing will be worth in trade after the work is done). That should give you at least 80k more miles on the motor.. I’d also have them service the trans and cooling system too.

Downside you still have an older Outback with CVT, dodgy Subaru A/C, wheel bearings, axles etc.

Should be a decent enough 2nd car that’ll cost you a $1k or $2k per year depending how long and hard you drive it.

2. Toss in a random junkyard engine and trade ASAP.

Should cost around $3k - $4k. Trade should get you $6k - $7k. By no means should you keep the thing if you throw in a random junkyard engine. That’s an OK strategy for a beater but imagine how crazy it will make you to go through this shit again in 25k mikes.

Downside - if the engine is a piece of shit or the mechanic does a shitty job installing it you won’t get the trade in $$$ and you’ll have endured beaucoup aggravation for nothing. Another downside is having to shop for a new ride and adding a new car payment to your life.

3. Trade it in or CL it for $500 or whatever you can get.

Fast, easiest option. It gets the car out of your line of sight and the healing can commence.

Downside - bigger car payment

I went with option 1. On the ‘07. Spent about $4.5k on a rebuilt motor about 5 years and 50k miles ago. Uses too much oil but I watch it like a hawk. Done a bunch of suspension work since then (mostly myself). Overall it’s been reasonably inexpensive to maintain but that is because I keep it away from mechanics or God forbid the dealer.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    2. Toss in a random junkyard engine and trade ASAP.

Should cost around $3k - $4k. Trade should get you $6k - $7k. By no means should you keep the thing if you throw in a random junkyard engine. That’s an OK strategy for a beater but imagine how crazy it will make you to go through this shit again in 25k mikes.
    This.

Anybody recommending a junkyard engine with this brand's history is nuts, you want the OP to tempt fate again and get a junkyard engine? I wouldn't spend the cash to do the install unless I knew the junkyard engine was perfect. And that's gonna require a complete check of the engine and more $.

And now Subaru apparently can't weld properly. https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/15/...led-bad-welds/

What pieces of shit these Subarus are.

Last 2 Toyotas I had I sold w/ 350 and 375K respectively with nothing as much as oil changes, plugs and air filters. I have a fucking Range Rover with 250K on it and same thing, just oil changes, etc. Even my stupid Jeep which broke every other part on itself, I got 250K out of the engine with just routine maintenance.

Buy a car with a proper engine, preferably a non-turbo with chain driven cams that doesn't flop on its side in the engine bay and be done with this Subaru nonsense.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Sad thing is I probably will.
    Go buy a Honda CRV.

Have you threatened to have the Subaru tech fired yet?

From what I’ve read here that seems to do the trick.
    I still call it The Jake.

3. Trade it in or CL it for $500 or whatever you can get and walk away. This.

I owned 3 different pre-96 Legacy hatchbacks as beaters and they were great investments, well actually 2 were. One I spent the money on replacing the timing belt and the Mechanic fucked it up. At any rate I got my $$$ worth out of all 3. The new Subies seem to be junk.